mXion DCC loco decoders and sound modules for Stainz and German Crocodile (E94 / BR 194)

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have recently converted an LGB Stainz and a Piko BR 194 to DCC and sound using mXion products ordered directly from the manufacturer mXion Modellbahntechnik

For the Stainz I used the mXion Drive-L 4a decoder which plugs straight on top of the existing analogue board in a 10 pin "Direct Decoder" Stainz in the same way as a Massoth eMotion L. To add sound I connected an SX6 sound module to the decoder using one cable for SUSI and another for the loudspeaker output. The sound module is around the size of a large postage stamp and fits easily between the decoder and the firebox in the Stainz's boiler.

I decided to replace the Stainz's built-in speaker in the cab roof with a 40mm one off eBay recommended by LGB333 LGB333 (thank you!). It fits like a glove and it's worked a treat. I initially tried a 28mm "sugar cube" one I had kicking around but it was a bit raspy and tinny for my liking.

The setup came with 29 16-bit Stainz sounds out of the box, some of which I've remapped to different function buttons, a function to lower the volume when needed, a shunting mode which halves the speed of the loco at the touch of a button and a handbrake function which slows and stops the loco when pressed and restarts it at the previous speed when pressed again. I've also changed a CV so that the Stainz's lamps flicker more like the original's.

For the E94 / BR 194 I used an mXion XL 8a/10a peak decoder and another SUSI SX6 sound module. Fitting was even easier as there's so much room in the carcass of the croc. Just a question of attaching the relevant existing wires to the terminal blocks on the decoder.

The only hitch was tracking down the correct screws to fit the Visaton FRS 7 speaker which the locomotive is designed to take. SevenOfDiamonds SevenOfDiamonds and WillemD WillemD came to the rescue and found the right screws via a Piko spares set and the service manual - thank you!

Like the Stainz, it has 29 16-bit BR 194 sounds and similar functions to the Stainz plus support for more sophisticated options for the lights like Swiss Mapping which I haven't yet looked into. mXion also do a kit to control the pantographs using the decoder's function outputs for £36 though I don't personally need that.

Total cost for the Stainz was £81 /$101.
For the Krok £103 / $128.

I'm very pleased with the results and the price/performance ratio and would recommend the products.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Was just looking at the MXion stuff but for sound and googled and found you post in here, how were they to deal with ? As I have all but given up trying to deal with Germany in my own small business, post the Civil Servents/HMRC (on both sides of Le Channel) bureaucratic wetdream AKA Brexit restrictions. Their Pantograph and latching system looks quite "sassy" too.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Was just looking at the MXion stuff but for sound and googled and found you post in here, how were they to deal with ? As I have all but given up trying to deal with Germany in my own small business, post the Civil Servents/HMRC (on both sides of Le Channel) bureaucratic wetdream AKA Brexit restrictions. Their Pantograph and latching system looks quite "sassy" too.
It might be worth contacting Andy Spencer, at Amazing Little Trains, as I believe he carries these.

PhilP

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Phil is right, Andy does. I believe he's currently only stocking part of the MXion range but planning to expand.

I've been using the MXion stuff since going digital in 2021 and been really happy overall. I've had a couple of minor issues but found the support from Marius (the owner) really great. Very responsive to email and seems to be constantly expanding the product line. I've not yet come up against anything insurmountable.

notofthiscenturyTim

Registered
14 May 2023
London, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've had to pay no customs or duty on my four orders from Mxion in Germany. Maybe I've just been lucky.

When I've ordered parts that don't need configuring, dispatch and delivery has been very quick, around a week.

However for items that need configuring like SUSI sound modules where the sound files need to be loaded by Mxion before dispatch I have often waited weeks. In the end I don't mind, because the prices are so much lower than the competition and it's just a hobby, not life and death it it takes a few weeks to arrive.

Performance of the decoders and sound modules has been flawless as of six months use.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Phil is right, Andy does. I believe he's currently only stocking part of the MXion range but planning to expand.

I've been using the MXion stuff since going digital in 2021 and been really happy overall. I've had a couple of minor issues but found the support from Marius (the owner) really great. Very responsive to email and seems to be constantly expanding the product line. I've not yet come up against anything insurmountable.
Thanks Curtis, I got a message back from Marius confirming that his stuff doesnt work with Battery systems which is a shame, Think im going down the Mylocosound route for ease, but liked the idea of being able to put your own sound files on some of the cards.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Curtis, I got a message back from Marius confirming that his stuff doesnt work with Battery systems which is a shame, Think im going down the Mylocosound route for ease, but liked the idea of being able to put your own sound files on some of the cards.
Hm I wonder if that would be entirely correct, Fosworks DCC Battery system has worked with every chip (LGB, Massoth, Lenz) that I have thus far tried it with.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hm I wonder if that would be entirely correct, Fosworks DCC Battery system has worked with every chip (LGB, Massoth, Lenz) that I have thus far tried it with.
The Mxion stuff is based off Rico's Z21 system - so I'd imagine if there is evidence of that working it is indicative it would work for Mxion too [Speculation, please don't make purchasing decisions based off this!]

I've had to pay no customs or duty on my four orders from Mxion in Germany. Maybe I've just been lucky.

When I've ordered parts that don't need configuring, dispatch and delivery has been very quick, around a week.

However for items that need configuring like SUSI sound modules where the sound files need to be loaded by Mxion before dispatch I have often waited weeks. In the end I don't mind, because the prices are so much lower than the competition and it's just a hobby, not life and death it it takes a few weeks to arrive.

Performance of the decoders and sound modules has been flawless as of six months use.
Shipping is the only thing that is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it is dispatched in a few days, other times a few weeks. Last I spoke to him it is because he holds limited stock so occasionally has to respond to orders.

For the sound cards, because I wanted to tinker with the function keys, I bought the CV reader/writer which lets me write new sound files and make adjustments. Also works for non-Mxion for function decoders too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Mxion stuff is based off Rico's Z21 system - so I'd imagine if there is evidence of that working it is indicative it would work for Mxion too [Speculation, please don't make purchasing decisions based off this!]

Shipping is the only thing that is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it is dispatched in a few days, other times a few weeks. Last I spoke to him it is because he holds limited stock so occasionally has to respond to orders.

For the sound cards, because I wanted to tinker with the function keys, I bought the CV reader/writer which lets me write new sound files and make adjustments. Also works for non-Mxion for function decoders too.
Is the cv reader/writer Mac compatible please curtis curtis ?

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Marius confirming that his stuff doesn't work with Battery systems.

The decoders as supplied from Marius will indeed work on a Battery System, IF the equipment used has DCC capability.

Usual disclaimer on the use of Li-ion batteries, and that the Battery Pack used, has sufficient storage and power capacity to operate any attached DCC equipment.

DRS1 Transmitter and Receiver.png

Battery Powered MD EWD.jpg

Attachments

• DRS1 Transmitter and Receiver.png
    DRS1 Transmitter and Receiver.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Battery Powered MD EWD.jpg
    Battery Powered MD EWD.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is the cv reader/writer Mac compatible please curtis curtis ?
The software is Windows only (.exe). I have, however, successfully run it via Parallels and Bootcamp (on a Windows install) on a Mac. I've not tried it using Wine etc as I purchased a Windows machine for the garage where I do all the train stuff now so haven't had the need.