The dark side has finally won.....I have fun with a couple of LGB DCC streetcars..BUT.....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is a good source of info on what is achievable with some DCC systems in the US. It doesn't say anything about interfaces etc but gives a fairly good run down on types of consisting and also one type where even analogue locos can be included in a DCC consist...not sure if this can be done with a Massoth though.

http://www.dccwiki.com/MU_consisting

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have just spoken to Massoth and they indicate that the fix for the loco direction in a consit will be present in the next firmware (v1.9) of the Navigator which is currently undergoing test and should be available in a couple of weeks or so. :) :clap:
Also, creating and using a consit should be much easier.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic Mark that is excellent news!! Well done that man.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
muns said:
I have just spoken to Massoth and they indicate that the fix for the loco direction in a consit will be present in the next firmware (v1.9) of the Navigator which is currently undergoing test and should be available in a couple of weeks or so. :) :clap:
Great news Mark. Now, how do I update Navvie firmware without a Massoth central station?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
muns said:
Great news Mark. Now, how do I update Navvie firmware without a Massoth central station?

I think the easiest (and probably most foolproof) answer to that is take the Navi to a dealer who can do the upgrade for you (eg: Brian at Glendale, though I'm sure others will too).

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Now, how do I update Navvie firmware without a Massoth central station?

As I understand it if you have a Massoth PC module you can use that, no need for a central station.

Alternately just take it to a mates who does have the central station

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cliff George said:
whatlep said:

As I understand it if you have a Massoth PC module you can use that, no need for a central station.

Sadly I don't have any mates - at least none with a Massoth central station or PC module! I suspect the nearest GSCer with a central station is about 80 miles away - a tad too far in petrol for us poor country folk.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
whatlep said:
Cliff George said:
whatlep said:

Sadly I don't have any mates - at least none with a Massoth central station or PC module! I suspect the nearest GSCer with a central station is about 80 miles away - a tad too far in petrol for us poor country folk.
Yes but I know someone in Stourport who's got a central station - don't know about the PC module thing though?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
muns said:
Send it to me?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:

That's great news! Now, just nag 'em a bit harder about the DRC300, will you, I can't wait till next year!! (Well, OK, guess I will have to....) ;)

Jon.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does the DRC300 include a dcc decoder or is it just the RC component to work alongside a decoder
AND.....
Do I press on with batterising a few locos for winter running using the Aristo Revolution chips and handset that I have already or do I ditch the Revos and wait for the DRC 300.
Oh dear, decisions decisions.......life was so much easier when I was just DC

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Does the DRC300 include a dcc decoder or is it just the RC component to work alongside a decoder
AND.....
Do I press on with batterising a few locos for winter running using the Aristo Revolution chips and handset that I have already or do I ditch the Revos and wait for the DRC 300.
Oh dear, decisions decisions.......life was so much easier when I was just DC

It's going to be just the RC add-on, you need the loco already equipped with a decoder for it to work. I'm not sure if it will work with any make of decoder or just with Massoth, but I would think that if they are being sensible about it they will have made the DRC300 output fully NMRA compatible so you can couple it to any make of NMRA compliant decoder.

Of course, given the further delays with the DRC300 launch, I suppose there would be nothing to stop you getting a couple of Revolution chips and installing them for the time being, allowing you to do some winter battery running - then when/if the DRC300 finally becomes available, if you decide you want to use them you could always switch over to them (most of the hard work will already be done, with installing the batteries in the loco) and re-sell the Revolutions to part-fund it?

The reason I'm so keen to see the DRC300 launched is because it should, if it works as promised, allow you seamless loco control via your Navigator - so driving a battery-powered loco with a DRC300 will feel exactly the same as driving a track-powered one via the central station.
That appeals a great deal to me, as one of the things that has put me off battery power and RC control up till now has been the inevitable and confusing proliferation of different controllers/handsets that it would require. However, Mike, your situation is slightly different in that you already have the Aristo handset(s) and control systems and are familiar with them, so for you it's a little less clear-cut.... in the end I guess you'll have to pay your money and take your choice, depending on how much longer you are prepared to wait!

Jon.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Jon
I think that I will press on with a few Aristo Revo conversions/options for the moment and see how the DRC300 pans out. I know that you will probably be an early adopter so I will wait till you assess it.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I'm not sure if it will work with any make of decoder or just with Massoth, but I would think that if they are being sensible about it they will have made the DRC300 output fully NMRA compatible so you can couple it to any make of NMRA compliant decoder.

Yes, according to the DRC300 blub put out by Massoth it will work with any NMRA compliant decoder. This is not surprising really since the decoders DCC input from the track is just replaced with the DCC input from the DRC300.

http://www.shourtline.swl4.com/DRC_300_Basics_en_Functional_Overview.pdf

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Zerogee said:
I'm not sure if it will work with any make of decoder or just with Massoth, but I would think that if they are being sensible about it they will have made the DRC300 output fully NMRA compatible so you can couple it to any make of NMRA compliant decoder.

Yes, according to the DRC300 blub put out by Massoth it will work with any NMRA compliant decoder. This is not surprising really since the decoders DCC input from the track is just replaced with the DCC input from the DRC300.

http://www.shourtline.swl4.com/DRC_300_Basics_en_Functional_Overview.pdf

Thanks for the confirmation on that, Cliff - I'd downloaded that info sheet a while back but forgotten about it!

Mike - does the Aristo Revolution work in a similar way, or are they all-in-one combined decoder/RC chips? What are the prices like per unit?

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Cheers Jon
I think that I will press on with a few Aristo Revo conversions/options for the moment and see how the DRC300 pans out. I know that you will probably be an early adopter so I will wait till you assess it.

I certainly want to get my hands on one as soon as possible, Mike (oo-er missus....) ;)

Jon.