STEAM TRAMS : is there much interest for them on here?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Awake in the middle of the night and thinking that my Irish Post is not complete as I have ignored the Irish Broad Gauge Tram systems where there may be the odd Steam Tram or two, Dublin and Blessington is one that comes immediately to mind. However first I have a slightly better view of one of the Giants Causway Steam Trams plus one of the Castlederg and Victoria Bridge ones. Plus another Steam Tramway that I had forgotten about.
GIANT CAUSWAY NO.3 Dunluce Castle Wilkinson Loco of 1886View attachment 231937
CASTLEDERG AND VICTORIA BRIDGE. A Kitson product of the early 20th Century.
View attachment 231944
There now follows some views of the Larger Gauge Steam Trams in Ireland. Unlike UK not many Cities had Steam Trams most going either direct from Horse to Electric, Opening with Electric or closing down direct from Horse Trams.
CAVEHILL AND WHITWELL TRAMWAY (Belfast)
This line just about qualifies for Broad Gauge being built to 4'9" Gauge of the Belfast Tramway which ultimately took overvthe line with Electric Trams. One of the two only Kitson Steam Trams that ooerated on this line.
View attachment 231936
DUBLIN AND LUCAN STEAM TRAMWAY
This was a rather unusual Tramway in that it had 3 Gauges, 3' in Stram Tram days, 3'6" when the line was electrified then 5'3" when taken over by the DUTC. So another 3 foot that I have to add! The loco below is the last of 6 Kitson Steam Trams built in 1887. For the 7th and final Steam Tram a Green product of 1892 was purchased.
View attachment 231947
DUBLIN AND BLESSINGTON STEAM TRAMWAY COMPANY
This was the inly Irish Steam Tramway to operate Steam Trams in the Irish Broad Gauge of 5'3" chosen to match the Dublin Electric Trams it appears. I rather like the Push me You Pull T.Green Product shown in the following 2 pics. Dragging that Trailer it can hardly be described as anything other than a Steam Tram. It was not unusual to see more than 1 Trailer in the consist either.
View attachment 231938

View attachment 231945
There were also some Falcon Engines which when delivered had Skirts, these were lost at some stage
View attachment 231939
It was not unusual for a Goods Wagon Trailer to be added either. Altogether there were 2 Vans and 10 'Wagons' so conventional Freight Traffic was presumably not unknown, though I guess mostly conveyed as in the picture below. The Steam Trams were said to be capable of 40 MPH no doubt a scary trip on the upper deck with a Mad Driver at the Controls!
View attachment 231946
Thus I think ends our little trip to the Emerald Isle, what a fascinating set of Steam Trams they had, if only someone could get Time Travel working!
Is the double decker carriage converted from a city tram? Just think how useful a small goods wagon would be, remember being able to leave a package at the station so it could be delivered by rail to another station to be collected?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is the double decker carriage converted from a city tram? Just think how useful a small goods wagon would be, remember being able to leave a package at the station so it could be delivered by rail to another station to be collected?
No Double Deck Trailers were built like that, pretty standard fare for a Steam Tramway.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No Double Deck Trailers were built like that, pretty standard fare for a Steam Tramway.
Thanks for the info. As you said, it must have been an uncomfortable ride!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On my visit to the Model Railway at Stevenage a rather nice French Light, Railway Mers les Bains was doung its thing. Built by Peter Smith who has posted on here and indeed had a rather nice (now sold off or demolished) G Scale Exhibition Layout with a similar theme. There were a few Steam Trams on the Layout so I thought that it would be nice to add them to the Thread.

I am not sure of the Locality that the line is based on if any, so will comment on the Steam Trams as far as I can.

A rather nice Push me Pull you or Bi Cabine as the French call them, these were used quite extensively on both French Light Railways and some true Tram Systems so as ever I count them in Steam Tram wise.image.jpeg
This most certainly is a Steam Tram and Machines similar to this were also to be seen and indeed still are in Switzerland. Rather like the name Louise too.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Another different typr of Steam Tram, I am completely unaware of the prototype of this little cutie though no doubt I could find it in one of my extensive collection of French Light Railway books. Oh Peter has done a selection of English Text French Light Railway Books as well, keep meaning to get hold of them.
image.jpeg
Passing Louise in Shed.
image.jpeg
Now passing the Bi Cabine.
image.jpeg
Yet another Steam Tram passes Louise.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
So 4 different Steam Trams in one layout I reckon that is pretty good value for Money.

Reactions: 3 users

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday a friend gave me a pile of old Continental Modellers. The first one I looked at, Oct 2017, had an article by Peter Smith on these locos.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday a friend gave me a pile of old Continental Modellers. The first one I looked at, Oct 2017, had an article by Peter Smith on these locos.
Aha how interesting, perhaps you could quote what line and where loco he based the Models on if he mentioned it in the Article.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
Tramways mentioned are Thones - Annecy, Sarthe Blanc - Misseron, Pas de Calais - Pinuely & Geneva Tramways.
If You want the article I can post it to you when I have finished with the magazine.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The layout is Mere les Bains. It is a totally fictional line but there is a real town of that name in Picardy. It was a really interesting layout as you can see from Jon's piccys and very well presented. (Not withstanding the naughty ladies in the hotel).
The other interesting layout was Sutton Wharf seemed to be G scale on 16.5mm track

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
(Not withstanding the naughty ladies in the hotel).
Which was the first thing my other half noticed, whilst I was watching the trains...

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Which was the first thing my other half noticed, whilst I was watching the trains...
Have to say the House of ill repute was rather well done and in a suitably remote place on the Layout. No doubt when you get some figures to go with your Cafe Rene you will manage to have some suitably subdued cameo's with German Officers and Celery in the scene?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say the House of ill repute was rather well done and in a suitably remote place on the Layout. No doubt when you get some figures to go with your Cafe Rene you will manage to have some suitably subdued cameo's with German Officers and Celery in the scene?
I hate celery....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
How about flying helmets?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm getting a strange feeling of deja-vu......

Jon.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
This thread started out so nicely......

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so we have had our fun, so back on Track as it were no pun intended. Some pics of Steam Trams in The Paris Area, some of these are Weird and Wonderful Machines others quite conventional. All very interesting nonetheless.

First up is a cute little Steam Tram at Port-Marly. What a lovely Model in G Scale this little train would make.
image.jpeg
Next up in Ave de la Defence, I believe this to be one of the Fireless Steam Trams. For those not in the know these Locomotives would be charged up with Steam or Hot Water at each Terminus running conventionally using the Steam generated by the Heat of the Contents of the Tank. Popular in Paper Industries and other Factories around England and the UK and not unknown for Tram systems either.
image.jpeg
A rather Belgium looking Tubize built Steam Tram at Morangis.
image.jpeg
Something that Paris used extensively but not unknown in UK either, a Steam Tram. The Boiler is just seen in the Cab to the left. Quite how efficient these would have been is unknown to me but they were used for some years.
image.jpeg
Another pic showing a couple of the Double Deckers and a Conventionalish Steam Tram at the Louvre. If only we could see such a view today, I would be visiting the Louvre on a regular basis though not for the Art Gallery!
image.jpeg
A beter view of what I would certainly call Wierd and Wonderful, this Purrey built Steam Tram goes for a paddle in Versailles. Clearly heading for the Louvre.
image.jpeg
An 1894 built Steam Tram together with a drawing, what interested me with this one was the Cylinders well in front of the Driving Wheels. A perfect solution for a Conversion perhaps using an old Mamod to create a Steam Motor.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
A cute little Merryweather from the Tramways Sud. I rather like the Lounge Curtains on front of the Double Deck Car. I wonder how long they stayed clean for?
image.jpeg
A closer picture of one of the Fireles Steam Trams, I rather like the openings in the skirts so that the Coupling Rods can be seen moving.
image.jpeg
What I believe to be a true Paris speciality, Rowan Steam Car seen at de Louvre. These vertical Boilered beasts appeared to be quite successful and it is a shame that none have been preserved ..... Unless you know different.
image.jpeg
A bitbof a fake in here, butbthis Corpet or Pinguelly is on the Tramway de Versailes out in the Countryside at Meulen. By all accounts it would have run right into the centre of Versailes so a Steam Tram doppelgänger indeed.
image.jpeg
A Scneider Push me Pull you Steam Tram. Again with gaps in the Skirts to show the rods working. Nice.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users