Speed limiting in analogue for a junior user

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
We are trying to arrange a smalll layout for a young friend where he can control the trains himself. However in the case of this particular little tyke I need to arrange a speed limiter as I know the dial will go up to 11 as soon as he gets his hands on it.

We'll be starting with a Playmobil engne and working up to a Stainz when he can be trusted (which could be several years). I know I can limit speed with digital but he won't be allowed near my Massoth setup until he's at least 35.

I have moderate electrical skills at the low voltage end of things (never touch anything mains) but I can solder and do the basics. Can any of you experts out there provide guidance on how to limit max speed with an analogue controller and locos?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
One way is to fit an obstruction on the controller so the speed control cannot be turned past a certain point if you domn't want to dabble with electrics. Having said that, Playmobil locos are robust things; I've had one land on the floor at from a display table when a young "researcher" decided to see what happened if he operated a point lever.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was just thinking the same thing - a couple of small short self-tappers, one on the dial, the other on the box ;);)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Or just a "dropper" made of diodes to reduce the top voltage, easier, no mechanical modifications.

look for the voltage dropper pictures and explanation on this page:

TonyMP52

Registered
25 Feb 2018
Faversham
Best answers
Country flag
I was just thinking the same thing - a couple of small short self-tappers, one on the dial, the other on the box ;);)
I've seen this done on the controller of a DEMU on a preserved railway to stop the temptation of going to Notch 7.....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm not sure that the gist of what can be done with DCC is being thought about. Top speed can be severely limited with CV 5, changing the value of that to 70 will certainly slow anything down to an acceptable level.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Be aware that a Märklin mfx/dcc loco sound decoder maximum analog speed is not limited by CV5 if you decide to go the CV route. We found this investigating the Borsig sound issue earlier. CV177 controls the maximum analog DC speed in Märklin loco sound decoders. But, check your decoder's CV table to verify.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
DC Setup.png

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Be aware that a Märklin mfx/dcc loco sound decoder maximum analog speed is not limited by CV5 if you decide to go the CV route. We found this investigating the Borsig sound issue earlier. CV177 controls the maximum analog DC speed in Märklin loco sound decoders. But, check your decoder's CV table to verify.
Timely reminder that not all Chips have the same CV’s for speed, but he did mention Stainz and PM so my assumption was that there may be anLGB or Massoth chip within.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
You can add a 12v 5watt bulb in series with the fed to the track

or just use a 12v oo/ho gauge controller, instead of the lgb 24v controller.

this idea will only work depending on what the amp rating is on the controller

Dan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can add a 12v 5watt bulb in series with the fed to the track

or just use a 12v oo/ho gauge controller, instead of the lgb 24v controller.

this idea will only work depending on what the amp rating is on the controller

Dan
If you do this, and small people are involved:
Please make sure the bulb is arranged so it is not able to be touched by anyone. - It will get hot enough to hurt. - It also needs to be arranged so as to be safely away from anything it might damage.

PhilP.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the ideas and associated warnings. We are definitely talking analogue solutions here.

Q to The Shed - is the illustrated module off the shelf and if so from where?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the ideas and associated warnings. We are definitely talking analogue solutions here.

Sorry I missed the Analogue thing and wittered on about DCC. Perhaps a different solution may be to have a Battery Loco for just the kids. A Stainz with just 4 aa will run but very slowly, for a controlled solution a full battery setup with reciever and speed controller set to its lowest possible top speed will keep things in check even if the control knob is turned to full blast.

I know what you mean about kids wanting full speed, back when I had my x’s grandees round regularly I had a RC Car with conventional 7.2 battery pack. But somewhere I managed to get an 8.something pack that really made that car wizz much to the delight of the kids. I like the 8 was the oldest favourite saying.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Seller umtmedia, only connection as a satisfied customer.

The item is available else where..........

Re, the Playmobil engine, depending on the model, seem to recall this may require a lower voltage, W Walts-Playmobil is the man to ask, he may well have some detailed information on his website.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That will work if your setup is already in 2 pieces, a power source and a throttle.

If you are working from a "all in one box" where the power and the "knob" are in the same box, it won't work.

What is the power source/controller setup?

Greg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
In Playmobil, the track power locos are up to 16v; RC is 6v on the old versions and something else on the modern yellow diesel.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In Playmobil, the track power locos are up to 16v; RC is 6v on the old versions and something else on the modern yellow diesel.
New diesel is 6 X AA, so 7.2 v or 9 v rechargeable or not

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, preferred controller would be the Playmobil or LGB all in one controller but separate controller and power is an option if that provides an analogue max speed solution.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so one suggestion above is not going to work for all in one controller, the one you asked about actually... it needs to go between the raw power supply and a standalone speed control... not possible if all is in the same box (not easily).

So, your options are a mechanical upper limit on the speed knob, or the simple circuit I posted to limit max voltage.

From your description, I think you want to keep this inexpensive, so I agree with the all in one controller. Do you have one already or is this still to be purchased?

Greg