Spa Bahn

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the info i will see how I progress at the moment its single track working apart from the station as would be the case of a passing loop as well.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well i have decided to go for double track working to give a bit more interest on my small railway. a tempory wooden bridge in position.
DSCF1412.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
An overall view. Ita a railway in a garden as someone said not a garden railway but it suits me. :)DSCF4532.JPG

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good! And it’s your railway and it’s all about having fun and running trains.

and judging by the photos your doing both quite well!

Dan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice shed!
Deceptive in the picture, how wide it is..

Oh, great progress on the railway as well! :giggle:

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Re aligned trackwork to alow better access to the sidings DSCF1421.JPG
Nice shed!
Deceptive in the picture, how wide it is..

Oh, great progress on the railway as well! :giggle:
Well the shed is 16 feet long i think so only about 22 foot square i think

Reactions: 1 users

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I have just taken into storage most of my buildings, as strong winds forecast over the weekend, what do others do to protect there buildings and line side accessories?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have just taken into storage most of my buildings, as strong winds forecast over the weekend, what do others do to protect there buildings and line side accessories?
I don't - the depot (station) section of my railroad is sheltered by a hedge and my shed - the direction that is open to the garden faces east, and we rarely have extreme winds from the east. The few buildings I have are fixed to the ground :nod: :nod:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mine either survive, or not... All are fixed, normally by 4x 4inch screws, which are inside, the inside corners, ie screwed in by 3/4inch..the wind. Would have to lift a building vertical up 4 inches,... The wind blows sideways here..

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I will have to see how to fix mine down then, in france they seemed to be more shelters than where i am now. I feel i am in a wind tunnel sometimes.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I've just put mine in the shed to protect them during the months of snow and ice ahead.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The shed is 16’ x 10’
That will make it 160 square feet floor space. 16 times 10. For cube you would need to multiply that by the height but that gets somewhat tricky as you have the sloping roof to consider. Mathematicians to the fore please?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That will make it 160 square feet floor space. 16 times 10. For cube you would need to multiply that by the height but that gets somewhat tricky as you have the sloping roof to consider. Mathematicians to the fore please?
OK, so let's say the height to eaves is 6ft and the height to ridge is another 2 ft.

I think you could be a bit ambitious with your 10 ft wide, nearer 8ft is my guess.

So, 16 x 8 = 128 sq ft base area, 128 x 6 = 768 cu ft to eaves.

For the gable, the area of a triangle is half base times height, so 6 divided by 2 times 2 = 6 sq ft multiply by the length of 16 to get the volume = 96 cu ft

Add the two, 768 + 96 = 864 cu ft.

So we think the cubic capacity of the shed is 864 cu ft

What do we want to know? :D:D:D:D:D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so let's say the height to eaves is 6ft and the height to ridge is another 2 ft.

I think you could be a bit ambitious with your 10 ft wide, nearer 8ft is my guess.

So, 16 x 8 = 128 sq ft base area, 128 x 6 = 768 cu ft to eaves.

For the gable, the area of a triangle is half base times height, so 6 divided by 2 times 2 = 6 sq ft multiply by the length of 16 to get the volume = 96 cu ft

Add the two, 768 + 96 = 864 cu ft.

So we think the cubic capacity of the shed is 864 cu ft

What do we want to know? :D:D:D:D:D
Thanks for the Math. I took his 10ft from his post #89. Of course there are other variables that will reduce the values, internal supports and all that stuff so any calculation will be a nearenoughish and certainly much better than we used to use for project quotes on BR of +/- 10%. These days to get anywhere near that sort of quote to a Public institution on either cost or build time would be a near miracle.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the Math. I took his 10ft from his post #89. Of course there are other variables that will reduce the values, internal supports and all that stuff so any calculation will be a nearenoughish and certainly much better than we used to use for project quotes on BR of +/- 10%. These days to get anywhere near that sort of quote to a Public institution on either cost or build time would be a near miracle.
Oh, OK, missed that.

So you're probably at 1,120 cu ft - but what do you want to do with them all ? :worried::worried::worried::worried:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, OK, missed that.

So you're probably at 1,120 cu ft - but what do you want to do with them all ? :worried::worried::worried::worried:
You could certainly fit a lot of Micro Layouts in Document Folders in that space.