Skuse Hillside Light Railway - Video of the first ‘official’ running!

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Having now moved house, I could start thinking about laying some track for all the Playmobil converted stock I have been bashing. Originally the SHLR was to be the Staple Hill light railway, but seeing as we have moved from there, I am taking some artistic license and now the railway will be the Skuse Hillside light railway. It serves a fictional coal mine, hence them still using mainly steam engines. Maybe a bit of wishful thinking there probably but hey.. :) The demand of coal is obviously in decline as they railway also runs a passenger/tour train (hence the coach stock) to bolster funds as who doesn't want to ride on a train?

As yet I am to lay any track but I will be running a loop to allow continuous running, as well as some passing points and yard space to hold stock.

Link to the thread where I go to town on unsuspecting playmobil with a dremel is here.

Onto photos. Sadly, no real pictures of how it was when we started, as it was an overgrown mess and I didn't really think to take photos of an overgrown mess. The railway will be in the slightly raised bed, with *possible* scope to extend under the bridge. Maybe. The bed was built badly, the initial brickwork was hastily put in by me to allow the earth to be retained. The wall at that point was just lumps of concrete and blocks just piled up.

IMG_3294.jpg

Rest of the wall was concrete-slathered stones. The flagstone motorway has been reduced and turfed as well as there was just too much stone and not enough garden.

IMG_3295.jpg

I got word that our cousins had a load more of the blocks I'd made the wall from, which was handy as i'd used all the ones I'd found lying around the house at the time (There was loads of the things..)
So off we went in the trusty Jeep to collect. Poor thing.. Good job it has heavy duty suspension. I don't think it would have forgiven me if it was on stock springs and shocks.

IMG_3276.jpgIMG_3277.jpg

So digging commenced, and brickwork was carried out. I am not all that great at that but it'll do. It's still stood up after the local sparrows have inspected it so it must be fine.

IMG_3296.jpgIMG_3297.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3300.jpg

At this point, we made the decision to lose the olive tree. It never really took good root due to the amount of brickwork buried in the soil so we gave it away to someone who really wanted it for their garden. Gives more space for a yard at this end anyway.

IMG_3305.jpg

This photo really demonstrates how much crud we shifted- the tide mark on the wall from the soil. This was mainly building mess buried, and not even from the house build. It was just.. stuff. No idea where it all came from.

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

With that done, off to B&M for some gravel. It's cheap, and very local. First 12 bags were brought in with a hired van that we were using to collect a table and chairs with. But obviously 12 bags wouldn't be enough. Cue collecting another 25 bags (not all in one trip I hasten to add) in the Jeep. 18 bags at one time. Again, thank gawd it has HD suspension.

IMG_3308.jpg

Didn't even sit that badly to be honest.

IMG_3309.jpg

So now B&M were out of stock of pea gravel, I could crack on.

IMG_3311.jpgIMG_3312.jpgIMG_3313.jpg

So that's as far as we are at. Next stop, track!

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Having now moved house, I could start thinking about laying some track for all the Playmobil converted stock I have been bashing. Originally the SHLR was to be the Staple Hill light railway, but seeing as we have moved from there, I am taking some artistic license and now the railway will be the Skuse Hillside light railway. It serves a fictional coal mine, hence them still using mainly steam engines. Maybe a bit of wishful thinking there probably but hey.. :) The demand of coal is obviously in decline as they railway also runs a passenger/tour train (hence the coach stock) to bolster funds as who doesn't want to ride on a train?

As yet I am to lay any track but I will be running a loop to allow continuous running, as well as some passing points and yard space to hold stock.

Link to the thread where I go to town on unsuspecting playmobil with a dremel is here.

Onto photos. Sadly, no real pictures of how it was when we started, as it was an overgrown mess and I didn't really think to take photos of an overgrown mess. The railway will be in the slightly raised bed, with *possible* scope to extend under the bridge. Maybe. The bed was built badly, the initial brickwork was hastily put in by me to allow the earth to be retained. The wall at that point was just lumps of concrete and blocks just piled up.

View attachment 254705

Rest of the wall was concrete-slathered stones. The flagstone motorway has been reduced and turfed as well as there was just too much stone and not enough garden.

View attachment 254718

I got word that our cousins had a load more of the blocks I'd made the wall from, which was handy as i'd used all the ones I'd found lying around the house at the time (There was loads of the things..)
So off we went in the trusty Jeep to collect. Poor thing.. Good job it has heavy duty suspension. I don't think it would have forgiven me if it was on stock springs and shocks.

View attachment 254720View attachment 254719

So digging commenced, and brickwork was carried out. I am not all that great at that but it'll do. It's still stood up after the local sparrows have inspected it so it must be fine.

View attachment 254717View attachment 254716View attachment 254715View attachment 254714

At this point, we made the decision to lose the olive tree. It never really took good root due to the amount of brickwork buried in the soil so we gave it away to someone who really wanted it for their garden. Gives more space for a yard at this end anyway.

View attachment 254713

This photo really demonstrates how much crud we shifted- the tide mark on the wall from the soil. This was mainly building mess buried, and not even from the house build. It was just.. stuff. No idea where it all came from.

View attachment 254712

View attachment 254711

With that done, off to B&M for some gravel. It's cheap, and very local. First 12 bags were brought in with a hired van that we were using to collect a table and chairs with. But obviously 12 bags wouldn't be enough. Cue collecting another 25 bags (not all in one trip I hasten to add) in the Jeep. 18 bags at one time. Again, thank gawd it has HD suspension.

View attachment 254710

Didn't even sit that badly to be honest.

View attachment 254709

So now B&M were out of stock of pea gravel, I could crack on.

View attachment 254708View attachment 254707View attachment 254706

So that's as far as we are at. Next stop, track!
I know that Playmobil is small, but trying to build a layout in the back of a car is probably pushing things ;) ;)

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
I know that Playmobil is small, but trying to build a layout in the back of a car is probably pushing things ;) ;)

I had a Hyundai XG30 saloon that I was edging towards building out in the Japanese ‘VIP’ car style, (sadly it was nigh impossible to source the relevant body parts for the XG30) but I had always wanted to fit a Kato N gauge Japanese tram scene in the boot for shows. Never did get that far sadly. Given how compact the boot of the Jeep is you’d have to have some LGB R0.3 curves I think to fit a circle.. :wasntme:

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to see your PM trains with a tunnel, a bridge, and perhaps a small water feature...
and if nothing else, maybe with some plants like this:
But looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to see your PM trains with a tunnel, a bridge, and perhaps a small water feature...
and if nothing else, maybe with some plants like this:
But looking forward to seeing whatever you come up with.

I will get there eventually :) I want a small water feature for the tracks to cross, mainly because we see a lot of birds in the garden and they like the bowls of water the wife leaves out for them so why not integrate it :) that’s a great video, will watch it with Zoe at some point as she is going to be in charge of planting and all things green :)

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Started to lay a bit of track this evening. Didn’t get far but started to get an idea for what goes where so far

FD993DBB-D29A-4C7B-8010-F6B5E70CD7A9.jpeg

C8520F7F-1409-4FF7-ABC6-A8683FDCFADE.jpeg

36314587-2E93-4967-BBDE-0793AF543CA6.jpeg

I want to flip the points in the bottom left round if that makes sense. Should push the track back from the wall edge a bit.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
There is no reason why you should not cut just 1 R1 to make some shorter curves that may help with that wiggle?

I have quite a bit of ‘scrap’ track I obtained for that exact reason but I’ll make some changes before I take the Dremel to anything. It’s always good to be able to step back and have a think about it, if it was all laid in one day it would be a pain to pull one section up because I’ve slept on it and didn’t like it. :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have quite a bit of ‘scrap’ track I obtained for that exact reason but I’ll make some changes before I take the Dremel to anything. It’s always good to be able to step back and have a think about it, if it was all laid in one day it would be a pain to pull one section up because I’ve slept on it and didn’t like it. :)
Aha so you probably have the exact thing with no further cutting, great.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Aha so you probably have the exact thing with no further cutting, great.

Most probably! But! Talking with my track arrangement consultant this morning, we feel this may work better. But I am busy tonight so I can’t do a re-lay til Wednesday :cry:20F4CB09-B140-4E1F-87D4-C490F6C6E32A.jpeg

Ah, the virtues of making it up as you go along eh! :rofl:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Most probably! But! Talking with my track arrangement consultant this morning, we feel this may work better. But I am busy tonight so I can’t do a re-lay til Wednesday :cry:View attachment 254818

Ah, the virtues of making it up as you go along eh! :rofl:
Oh Track Consultant, that sounds expensive!

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so despite itching to get that track relayed I had other plans for Tuesday, the Shopland Collection who I volunteer with have got their LCVP sea-worthy (was a mad dash to get it ready for the 75th d-day anniversary) and it was still in the water at Bristol Harbour after the Harbour festival. I have missed all opportunities to have a sail on her so was not missing this potentially last jaunt for landing craft Alpha Oscar for a while.
This particular boat was used in the filming of Saving Private Ryan, just to make it slightly-slightly more interesting .

67175537_944080939270235_8014448294761594880_o.jpg

Yours truly at the helm with a hat that became a running joke.

67096813_944113315933664_2538668092498640896_n.jpg

I'll see if I can find a video of her motoring, it's powered by a supercharged 2 stroke Detroit-GreyMarine 6-71 diesel. What a noise ;)

Anyway, enough of that, it's a railway forum. Rearranged what I done the Monday night this evening and started running the straights out to the other end of the line. I couldn't fit it exactly how the diagram was painted but it's enough to stand a loco and 4 wagons and pass with another train.

IMG_3331.jpgIMG_3332.jpg

At that point (hur hur) I thought i'd better test it out. Small issue to resolve with one of the points and needs the track settling in a bit better but.. First train ran!

IMG_3333.jpg

But at this point I had another pressing issue to attend to:

IMG_3334.jpg

The 34 year old suspension bush on the front lower rear arm decided to not be part of the arm anymore so the whole front end is getting a refresh. Problem is is seeing as I rarely drive it I didn't notice. The MOT tester did though.. Doh.. :wasntme:

More soon!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The 34 year old suspension bush on the front lower rear arm decided to not be part of the arm anymore so the whole front end is getting a refresh. Problem is is seeing as I rarely drive it I didn't notice. The MOT tester did though.. Doh.. :wasntme:

More soon!
Another 6 years and you won’t need to worry about the MOT.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Another 6 years and you won’t need to worry about the MOT.

I'll still get it tested if I keep it that long to be fair. Spots issues like the aforementioned before they could become potentially fatal issues, another set of eyes looking over it and all that. I know I really should take a better look over the car from time to time being a tech but there are only so many hours in the day. I'm more than happy to let someone else check the top of the car is still attached to the bottom of the car. :D:rofl:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so despite itching to get that track relayed I had other plans for Tuesday, the Shopland Collection who I volunteer with have got their LCVP sea-worthy (was a mad dash to get it ready for the 75th d-day anniversary) and it was still in the water at Bristol Harbour after the Harbour festival. I have missed all opportunities to have a sail on her so was not missing this potentially last jaunt for landing craft Alpha Oscar for a while.
This particular boat was used in the filming of Saving Private Ryan, just to make it slightly-slightly more interesting .

View attachment 254853

Yours truly at the helm with a hat that became a running joke.

View attachment 254852

I'll see if I can find a video of her motoring, it's powered by a supercharged 2 stroke Detroit-GreyMarine 6-71 diesel. What a noise ;)

Anyway, enough of that, it's a railway forum. Rearranged what I done the Monday night this evening and started running the straights out to the other end of the line. I couldn't fit it exactly how the diagram was painted but it's enough to stand a loco and 4 wagons and pass with another train.

View attachment 254851View attachment 254850

At that point (hur hur) I thought i'd better test it out. Small issue to resolve with one of the points and needs the track settling in a bit better but.. First train ran!

View attachment 254849

But at this point I had another pressing issue to attend to:

View attachment 254848

More soon!
Perhaps we need a thread entitled “how I’d we get into the subject of Boats” after all we have them on Trams, Cars and Busses!

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps we need a thread entitled “how I’d we get into the subject of Boats” after all we have them on Trams, Cars and Busses!

Thanks for floating that idea, we'll see who sails with it.

David

Reactions: 1 users