Simple copying of Youtube videos

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I don?t know if everyone else knows about this, but I have just found how to SIMPLY download videos from Youtube.

Just open the video on Youtube, hit Pause and type ss before the youtube url in the address bar and Go. Like this :

6f7651576f164bbd9d69e82eae47f01f.gif

this takes you to a page called Savefromnet.

ea60d7f71c7344b4a4edb14694507b70.jpg

Select MP4 360p from dropdown on right and download should start. I use MP4 but there are a couple of other options I don?t understand.

You will get some strange ads on the page (see above) but I just ignore them.

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looks useful.
I use the free version of YTD Downloader, which is handy for me as it includes conversion options to make AVI or WMV videos for streaming around the house, or to rip out the audio as MP3 (for when I'm learning songs for the band I'm in)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
That looks really useful and dead easy, Greg.
I use the Real Player download extension which gives a pop-up tag over Youtube and many other online videos - but it downloads as a .flv file.

Rik

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Greg
For Mac OSX users there is an extension that can be loaded into Safari, Firefox or Chrome etc that just adds a button to the Youtube window that you just click and...download the vid
The progam/extension is 'Fastesttube' from site http://kwizzu.com/ [IMG]http:...44/43a0b22f790b495c8f86694e72e585e3.jpg[/IMG]

Why would you want to download a movie from Youtube?
Only reason I can see for doing this is if you were away from an internet connection - Otherwise watch the video on-line surely?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
Only reason I can see for doing this is if you were away from an internet connection - Otherwise watch the video on-line surely?
Maybe to keep for viewing when you do not have internet access or to make a mix-vid or to muck about with etc etc.....

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
1. My broadband has 2 time band allocations so I can download during the 'cheaper' period.
2. Sometimes I want the audio only so I can download the video and strip the audio out.
3. I don't have an internet TV, but it does have USB input, so I download to a USB stick and then watch the movie on the big screen TV.

etc......

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
Er... as others had said: to watch repeatedly without using up broadband bandwidth and download allowance (even now I'm on a so-called "unlimited" package I'd still rather not waste download bytes on getting something more than once). To rip out the audio if that's all I want. To save something I like that might be withdrawn, maybe convert it to a different format and put it on our network server so I can stream it and watch it in comfort on any of our TVs. There are some excellent HD videos that are worth grabbing (music concerts, nature & science stuff etc.).

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
Ian_S said:
2. Sometimes I want the audio only so I can download the video and strip the audio out.
Ditto
When I was trying to find sounds for a couple of my own videos I downloaded online videos so I could extract the sound, edit it and add it to my own videos - eg http://youtu.be/9qjiueamhGo

Another reason for me was that in my previous life as a teacher, I often made use of video in my presentations and as a rule of thumb I never relied on the internet connection when teaching and, of course, anything online has a habit of disappearing just when you need to use it most.

Rik

PS - Oh yes, and when creating sound effects for Am Drams, it's often easier to find sounds and music tracks (particularly hard-to-find oldies) on Youtube than searching for them online - even when using www.findsounds.com

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Another reason for me was that in my previous life as a teacher, I often made use of video in my presentations and as a rule of thumb I never relied on the internet connection when teaching and, of course, anything online has a habit of disappearing just when you need to use it most.
I was a teacher too, Rik (I started in 1975 and was full time until 1988 and have 'dabbled' a bit ever since until fully retiring from the profession a few years back). I also used video (steam driven) back in the day and recorded from either education programs so that I could show it at a time of my chosing or recordings from main-time progs to edit and make my own reels to support curriculum activities.
I see YouTube as the same thing really..like a library of resources to just view or to use for another purpose.

I also was an education IT (ICT) adviser for some years, after stopping full time teaching, and although the internet speed was suspect in some schools and institutions, it was fairly good in others (ISDN or even fibre). I would always download sites or pages to disk that I wanted to use in classes, teacher training, seminars etc...just in case of a connection mishap or if I was delivering in a place with no physical or even wireless connection.
As has been said already (some of it by me) you can never be sure that a youtube clip will remain available ( due to copyright issues, accounts closing etc etc). Hard drives and even flash memory are so big in capacity now, that a video clip can be thought of as the same storage as a small picture was ten years ago.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
I was a teacher too, Rik (I started in 1975 and was full time until 1988 and have 'dabbled' a bit ever since until fully retiring from the profession a few years back). I also used video (steam driven) back in the day and recorded from either education programs so that I could show it at a time of my chosing or recordings from main-time progs to edit and make my own reels to support curriculum activities.
I see YouTube as the same thing really..like a library of resources to just view or to use for another purpose.

I also was an education IT (ICT) adviser for some years, after stopping full time teaching, and although the internet speed was suspect in some schools and institutions, it was fairly good in others (ISDN or even fibre). I would always download sites or pages to disk that I wanted to use in classes, teacher training, seminars etc...just in case of a connection mishap or if I was delivering in a place with no physical or even wireless connection.
As has been said already (some of it by me) you can never be sure that a youtube clip will remain available ( due to copyright issues, accounts closing etc etc). Hard drives and even flash memory are so big in capacity now, that a video clip can be thought of as the same storage as a small picture was ten years ago.

Ditto on most of that - except my teaching career started in 1972

Rik

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I had an ulterior motive when I started trying to find how to download. I'm 'dreaming' of someday getting to Wales (that's old north Wales, not new south wales where I come from) to see the little trains. So I download lots of videos about them and watch on TV when the wife is in the room. Comments such as "look at that great scenery" must surely get through to her subconscious ???

Reactions: 1 users

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Careful what you say.
Youtube T&C
Section 5.1 particularly
sub sections L and M

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:

Another reason to do it is because the internet connection being used is not fast enough or because the server it is being viewed from is busy, and the video keeps starting and stopping. By downloading it and running it locally all of the stopping and starting is avoided.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
I had an ulterior motive when I started trying to find how to download. I'm 'dreaming' of someday getting to Wales (that's old north Wales, not new south wales where I come from) to see the little trains. So I download lots of videos about them and watch on TV when the wife is in the room. Comments such as "look at that great scenery" must surely get through to her subconscious ???
A cunning plan .........!!
In my quest to visit all the narrow gauge railways in the UK, my wife sometimes accompanies me. She says the Welsh ones are the most interesting for her because of the scenery. Not found a way of getting her excited about the smell of smoke, steam, oil, diesel and industrial railways - yet!

Rik

PS I've blogged my visits and ticked off most of the Welsh railways - though some in more detail than others - http://ngruk.blogspot.co.uk/

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Crikey, you've got scenery just as good in NSW, and what's more, the climate is not as drear.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I don?t know if everyone else knows about this, but I have just found how to SIMPLY download videos from Youtube.

Just open the video on Youtube, hit Pause and type ss before the youtube url in the address bar and Go. Like this :

6f7651576f164bbd9d69e82eae47f01f.gif

this takes you to a page called Savefromnet.

ea60d7f71c7344b4a4edb14694507b70.jpg

Select MP4 360p from dropdown on right and download should start. I use MP4 but there are a couple of other options I don?t understand.

You will get some strange ads on the page (see above) but I just ignore them.

I've bookmarked it. I'm no good with these things but I know my son will sort it for me. Particularly like the idea of being able to save the sound.

I want to add "realistic" train sounds to my trailer layout - plus the wife wanted a copy of a song (ended up with my son getting a CD from the US for his mother). If