Signs Of Life..

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Garden Railways do it with flowers ;).

P1040630.JPG

A couple of days of hot weather and lots of sunshine and you can't move for foliage!

It's all looking up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
The dry weather has allowed completion of to test the new extension and try out the refurbished 20 yr old engine shed .

P1040576.JPG

That another couple of small jobs ticked off the list.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Here's a splash of cheerful colour to brighten up a wet day. The Senetti, at less than a fiver hits the spot! It even comes ready potted and is available almost anywhere. Try one at the front and back doors - it will make your day at least twice a day!

P1040413.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
The season is definitely moving along and the fantastic Himalayan blue poppies have now taken the stage. They look absolutely stunning in the early morning sun after yesterday deluge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
The April showers have arrived in late May and the small birds are working hard to feed their broods between the heavy downpours.

P1000503.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
You can always be surprised and delighted how well some things work out when running a garden railway.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
On a hot day in May you can always enjoy the delicate flowers of this months prickly namesake. The May blossom is looking magnificent this year and there should be a good crop of haws in the Autumn.

Get out there and enjoy the plant life .

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
On a hot day in May you can always enjoy the delicate flowers of this months prickly namesake. The May blossom is looking magnificent this year and there should be a good crop of haws in the Autumn. Here's a close up of their delicate blooms giving an intimate insight of their reproductive organs (those of a delicate disposition should look away now ;) )

View attachment 223630

One a relatively larger scale, a diminutive steam locomotive tackles the invasive Alpine Plox that give an attractive blue flowered ground cover around the lower raised section of the railway. The more elevated rack train simply skirts the Osmanthus that will shortly need to be pruned back to encourage next years crop of delicately scented blossoms.

View attachment 223631

Even the humble everyday dandelion rewards a close inspection. Catching the early morning light, it stands ready to offer, a once in a lifetime, estimate of the daily passage of time. The verdant "Sticky Willie" with it's barbed leaves and burrs makes an attractive backdrop.

View attachment 223632

Get out there and enjoy the plant life .

Bane of my life the dandelions!

I like the mayflowers - We have one tree left and part of another ...
DSCF8907.JPG

DSCF8912.JPG

The goats just love the bark:(

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
More plants now doing their thing in the Garden. All is now looking very pretty with much more to look forwards to.

In the Pond the two varieties of Water Iris are now in full bloom.
image.jpeg
This is the Blue one.
image.jpeg
This little beuty of a bulb that ai showed in a previous post has now come out to its full ball. Really quite a large plant and very spectacular, I think it and its younger smaller brother os sister will need to be moved to be more prominent from the House.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
The rockery plant shown previously is now in full flower.
image.jpeg
Whilst these two next to the pond are doing their thing quite nicely.
image.jpeg
Another tall resident of the garden in full flower.
image.jpeg
Finally the front garden must not be forgotten. Though a small patch I have quite a few of these bulbs in full flower, onother of the ball type.
image.jpeg
When they are ginished these will still be flowering, sorry bit out of focus windy when taking pics.
image.jpeg
Enjoy your gardens, I am certainly loving mine all the year round.
JonD

Reactions: 4 users

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
JonD, What a show. Absolutely beautiful garden......... and trains setting.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
JonD, What a show. Absolutely beautiful garden......... and trains setting.
Many thanks for the compliment, but mostly to do with the plantmanship of the previous owner. Though I have moved things about and put in the Rockeries plus if course the oaths and trains. But she was a real lover of unusual plants and would probably be horrified at what has occured to her former natural garden!
JonD

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Looking fantastic......... In Oz it just would not happen........ too dry.........

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Dunnyrail your Southern Summer has definitely arrived. You certainly know your onions (aka alliums) !

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Been off for a couple of days but things have continued apace in the hot sunshine. With near record temperatures for late May together with the recent heavy rain, have both combined to add some vibrancy to the colours in our Northern garden. But it certain puts it in the shade when I admire both Trammayo's and Dunnyrails gardens. Well done and keep those pictures coming!

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Been off for a couple of days but things have continued apace in the hot sunshine. With near record temperatures for late May together with the recent heavy rain, have both combined to add some vibrancy to the colours in our Northern garden.

Here's a few current favourites for you to ponder.

Guess the primula...

View attachment 223743

What's this attractive columbine? It was grown from seed and looks stunning against the foliage of Japanese maple. Seen at this years Chelsea flowershow.

View attachment 223744

Two for the price of one. Insect and floriferous ground cover?

View attachment 223745

Not another opiate? Could also be some onions hidden in there somewhere...

View attachment 223746

A touch of candelabra about this one? Tip - it likes growing in a damp places.

View attachment 223747

Finally an easy one, beloved of Trammayo, and shows what happens when you turn your back on hot damp days. You should always find time to enjoy them ;).

View attachment 223749

It really is super when the sun shines!

PS Remember you can tap the images to make them zoom.

If only I could stop them seeding! The millions of fine spiders' webs now look like lace curtains with all the seed plumes.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
If only I could stop them seeding! The millions of fine spiders' webs now look like lace curtains with all the seed plumes.

Well spotted Trammayo! Spiders can be a bit difficult to control en masse. You could try a small pack of rabbits to keep the taraxacums in check. Just wait for the willowherbs ;).

PS -edit sorry wandering square brackets.

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

White's alright - don't ask me what the plant is called! Rosebay Willowherbs? Just pulled quite a lot up about an hour ago (along with dandies) - thousands of the wee beasties clamouring for a tast of moi! Little red dots around wrist, probably scalp too - but they don't like the taste of Metatrexate!

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Any thread about the vagaries gardening and operating a garden railway in NE Scotland should always include the quintessential RhB upland Swiss railway. But the season relentlessly moves on and I must get out their and make some progress.

Time and tide...;).

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Wonderful gents. What a wonderful world we're living in!

Henri, all you have do is get out and look about, it can be surprising what's under your feet.

Take a stroll down your nearest river bank and you might spot something of interest. I bet even town dwellers would be able to see much more in urban parks and save a little of the planet by not driving into the countryside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users