David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You do not actually have to go out into the country, I photographed this heron on the Serpentine, Hyde Park, in the centre of London, Wednesday of this week, 17.5.2017

dig 170525005.JPG

David

Reactions: 2 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
You do not actually have to go out into the country, I photographed this heron on the Serpentine, Hyde Park, in the centre of London, Wednesday of this week, 17.5.2017

David

Excellent!

But I don't 'actually' have to visit London, I just walk down to the end of my garden. Sometimes they even visit - but not so often since they last emptied the pond ;).

PS - I did once live in London (more than 50 yrs ago!) and it was absolutely teeming with wildlife (excluding the humans). Some of non-native species could be quite interesting, I always find it remarkable that folks don't see what's in plain site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, all you have do is get out and look about, it can be surprising what's under your feet.

Take a stroll down your nearest river bank and life is full of rewards. I'm very lucky that I live in NE Scotland and I'm happy to share a few of our local wonders.

Look ahead and spot the low flying oyster catcher.

View attachment 223798

Look down, it's the tiny Germander speedwell.

View attachment 223799

Look up and there's no shortage of campion!

View attachment 223800

Look down - it's buttercup, stitchwort and a diminutive sorrel.

View attachment 223801

Start praying and you might spot some common vetch - one of the many wild legumes.

View attachment 223802

Look across the river- it's a stately heron - notice it's strong toes gripping the slippery stones.

View attachment 223803

Look a the pebble beach, on the edge of the rapids, and do you spot the young grey wagtail?

View attachment 223807

Just before you fall in - pause to admire the geraniums that overhang the river.

View attachment 223808

Look on top of an old wall on your way home. It's a tiny tenacious toadflax, set against a backdrop of magnificent May.

View attachment 223809

Henri it really is a wonderful world, wherever you look .

Is that a Laburnum I see in the attached Files? I wish I had the propensity to remember all the names!

The lilliums are flowering now - the scent is almost overwhelming!
pic from an earlier year ...
DSCF4133.JPG
As for wildlife, I miss the chortling Water Railes (sounding like piglets) which used to grace the stream side of our hedge. A neighbour's misguided attempt to improve drainage resulted in the mass destruction of hedgerows, wonderful swards of bluebells, and the wholesale destruction of the wildlife's habitat!

The March hares used to parade around and hold their boxing matches just a few yards away - not seen them this year at all!

Hares (2).JPG

Primroses for seven months of the year
DSCF8777.JPG

And bats - this one rescued from the clutches of Tomas ...

DSCF4849.JPG

No pictures of the ducks - or the regular visits of the Heron. I just love the flora and fauna.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Trammayo you are exactly right, it is a laburnum. They're outstanding at this time of the year, I truncated the post since it was getting a little too long. If you click on the thumbnail image it opens a window, allowing you to browse a slide show of all the other images images as well (at least on an iPad).

Love the bats, brown hare, Turks heads and primroses.

Wonderful!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Trammayo you are exactly right, it is a laburnum. They're outstanding at this time of the year, I truncated the post since it was getting a little too long. If you click on the thumbnail image it opens a window, allowing you to browse a slide show of all the other images images as well (at least on an iPad).

Love the bats, brown hare, Turks heads and primroses.

Wonderful!

Never thought of them as Turks Heads but yes they do look that way!

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Welcome to the Summer!

Spotted in the low evening sun in a typical low wing tail up posture. It's power line perch gives a good view of this often heard, but rarely seen, harbinger of Summer.

Can you gues what I saw?

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
I'd really appreciate to be able to get out and about and enjoy a fine day in the country. It's always a privilege to see the seasonal wildlife, especially if you keep a sharp lookout (and have a camera too hand)..

I bet Trammayo and Henri can show us some of the exciting pictures of the seasonal wildlife near where they live. I really envy those that live out in the countryside.

It must be really good to be able to get out and about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I clocked the cuckoo. I admire your photographic skills - and foresight in carrying a camera!

Hissing Sid (well Clyde actually)...
DSCF4139.JPG

Billy the Kid .... (and his sister Tilly)
2010 (17).JPG
The tree was a real magnet for butterflies - until a severe winter destroyed it and some others...

DSCW0007.JPG

and so was the garden wall...

DSCF2273.JPG

A mild winter (2004) dwarf daffys in February..

Cuuradrish Feb 04 076.jpg

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Gorgeous. Allow me to add a few from our 'countryside', which I also absolutely love...

2017-03-30 19.37.52.jpg
New life.

2017-04-29 10.56.55.jpg
New life in progress

2017-04-29 11.02.17.jpg
A typical 'dike'

2017-05-06 16.08.50.jpg
This amazes me to the max. 'Elephant trails' as they are called. How are they created? How come EACH SHEEP steps on exactly the same path as it's predecessor, weeks in a row? Can they smell it? How do the little 'sidings' originate?
Interesting stuff and fun to watch!

2017-05-27 21.58.00.jpg

One of the many sunsets... Beautiful colours!

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
All piccies by my iPhone SE. Sometimes I use sunglasses for 'special effects'. First picture is 'natural', second one with 'sunglasses'. And these are made by the 'Panorama' mode, which explains the imperfections you might see.

2016-08-27 20.06.21s.jpg

2016-08-27 20.28.06s.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Seen in a hedgerow while out and about, 31.5.2017

dig 170531003.JPG

David

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Seen in a hedgerow while out and about...
David, a super dog rose. It's really good picture clearly.a little focus goes a long way ;).

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
In nature, you cannot beat a good sunset. I took this one from the bedroom window, 23.11.2014

dig 141123002.JPG

David

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Sunset...
DSCF4886.JPG

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
You've got to love the random nature of this. Maybe Henri's got some old holiday snaps He'd like to share and I'm dying to see Trammayo 1980's collection of roadkill images!

Trammayo I love the sunset but, if we really want to get off planet, I'm rather partial to this stunning image the sunrise over Neptune.

IMG_0060.PNG

;).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You've got to love the random nature of this. Maybe Henri's got some old holiday snaps He'd like to share and I'm dying to see Trammayo 1980's collection of roadkill images!

Trammayo I love the sunset but, if we really want to get off planet, I'm rather partial to this stunning image the sunrise over Neptune.

View attachment 223970

;).

Saw my first hare (this year) - it had been run over yesterday. I was trying to post some sunsets but it wouldn't accept my selection. W10?

I'll try again ...

Rainbow with Umbra capping the Ox Mountains...
Rainbow  PNG (1).png
Sunrise in December...

Our Home (74).jpg
and sunset...
Our Home (73).jpg

I couldn't believe what I saw - the clouds mirroring the trees - so I had to take the pic.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Saw my first hare (this year) - it had been run over yesterday. I was trying to post some sunsets but it wouldn't accept my selection.
I couldn't believe what I saw - the clouds mirroring the trees - so I had to take the pic.

Excellent, Thought you might have some roadkill images handy? The sunsets are fine but some of the images are in focus ;).

Sorry only 5/10 - you've got be more off the wall!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent, Thought you might have some roadkill images handy? The sunsets are fine but some of the images are in focus ;).

Sorry only 5/10 - you've got be more off the wall!

Yes - I could do with being off the wall - instead of being driven up it by family!