Signs Of Life..

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
It's very pleasant when the sun shines at this time of the year, not only do you get out to run the occasional train but you also get to see the signs of Spring around the garden.

Here's a few images, taken this morning, that show that Spring, in the far North, is well on its way.

View attachment 207684 View attachment 207685 View attachment 207686 View attachment 207687 View attachment 207688 View attachment 207689 View attachment 207690

I love the little blue flower, in the last photo. What is it ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A few days of fine weather, extended day lengths and the North British Spring is in full swing.
View attachment 211269

The vigorous saxifraga and geum give the rack train something to get its teeth into!
View attachment 211270

Miniature iris are transient and beautiful and to the right the bright red Anthyllis vulneraria var. coccinea is an ideal small spreading colourful plant..
View attachment 211271

Another hardy small colouful plant is Aquilegia canadensis ‘Little Lanterns’ and like the bright red Anthyllis (seen in the background) can be a useful plant around garden railways.
View attachment 211272

A couple of useful links:

http://www.perennials.com/plants/aquilegia-canadensis-little-lanterns.html
http://www.perennials.com/plants/anthyllis-vulneraria-var-coccinea.html

Enjoy.

First photo, looks like a stink bug :sick: to me ! I thought they were all from Asia.

Second photo, it's nice having frogs in the pond. Our resident Bullfrog gives a chorous every day. Oddly, we have no Spring peeper toads this year. First year in a long time I haven't seen or heard the little peepers.....:(

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Two pics of some pretty Flowers out just now. The Purple Iris thing is in my Pond, the other is a Bulb of some sort that I have never seen before. Why it chose to Flower this year I know not. But it is so interesting, wish I knew what it was. I moved a load of Bulbs about this Year and wonder of it had been at the wrong depth before so had decided to be Dormant, or perhaps it has Dormant Years? Very Trifid like in my view. Stem is 2ft or more High.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
JonD

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
I love the little blue flower, in the last photo. What is it ?

Omphalodes cappadocica or the Cappadocian navelwort.

Family Boraginaceae

Genus Omphalodes can be annuals, biennials or perennials, with simple leaves and terminal racemes or cymes of blue or white flowers resembling those of Myosotis (forget-me-not)

Details O. cappadocica is a clump-forming perennial to 25cm in height, with finely hairy, ovate, evergreen leaves and loose racemes of bright blue, white-eyed flowers 5mm in width

See:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=5383
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1350

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Two pics of some pretty Flowers out just now. The Purple Iris thing is in my Pond, the other is a Bulb of some sort that I have never seen before. Why it chose to Flower this year I know not. But it is so interesting, wish I knew what it was. I moved a load of Bulbs about this Year and wonder of it had been at the wrong depth before so had decided to be Dormant, or perhaps it has Dormant Years? Very Trifid like in my view. Stem is 2ft or more High.
JonD

Your purple/pink iris is very attractive and you are clearly much further on than Northern Scotland.

Water iris details here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Search?query=water+irises.

I'm very partial to iris in general and we have lots of varieties around the garden that give a bit of a succession that counteracts there rather transient, and very beautiful, flowers.

Your Trifid looks like a variant of Nectaroscordum siculum or Sicilian honey garlic.

Genus Nectaroscordum are deciduous bulbous perennials with linear, garlic-scented leaves and a tall leafless stem with a terminal umbel of bell-shaped flowers in early summer.

Details N. siculum is a robust perennial with keeled basal leaves and a stem to 1.2m in height, with a terminal umbel of nodding, long-stalked, bell-shaped flowers combining cream, pink and green tints, followed by decorative, erect seed pods in late summer.

Plant range S Europe

See: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1320

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Your purple/pink iris is very attractive and you are clearly much further on than Northern Scotland.

Water iris details here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Search?query=water+irises.

I'm very partial to iris in general and we have lots of varieties around the garden that give a bit of a succession that counteracts there rather transient, and very beautiful, flowers.

Your Trifid looks like a variant of Nectaroscordum siculum or Sicilian honey garlic.

Genus Nectaroscordum are deciduous bulbous perennials with linear, garlic-scented leaves and a tall leafless stem with a terminal umbel of bell-shaped flowers in early summer.

Details N. siculum is a robust perennial with keeled basal leaves and a stem to 1.2m in height, with a terminal umbel of nodding, long-stalked, bell-shaped flowers combining cream, pink and green tints, followed by decorative, erect seed pods in late summer.

Plant range S Europe

See: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1320
Many thanks for that GNB, good to have a Plantsman on the Forum.
JonD

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Many thanks for that GNB, good to have a Plantsman on the Forum.
JonD

Sorry, but credit must go to an intrepid Plantswoman, I just take the photographs:
photographer-web.jpg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't know about background colour..

Those shots certainly add BACKGROUND.. Very impressive vista's!

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Don't know about background colour..

Those shots certainly add BACKGROUND.. Very impressive vista's!

The vista's may be impressive but that corner of the garden is difficult to manage in the winter;).

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Sorry that was a bit off topic, back to the Garden Railway, it's always heartwarming when you get the late Spring burst and everything goes green.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"You're gonna need a bigger (snow) shovel!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
It's the start of that excellent time of the year when the railway starts disappearing into the garden.
Things are looking up in the far North.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Recent downfalls have topped up the pond and small frogs and newts have been basking on the lily pads during the sunnier intervals. Still enjoying extended daylight, but, sadly, from now on the nights will start drawing in.

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Recent downfalls have topped up the pond and small frogs and newts have been basking on the lily pads during the sunnier intervals -

View attachment 212477

This handsome young fellow appears to be a Palmate Newt, also found on the heaths and moors of Northern BritainView attachment 212478

The marsh orchids also enjoy the damp conditions and have grown well this year. So much so that special rail-bus tours have been laid on for keen naturalists. Hope they're not flower presses stowed on the roof rack!View attachment 212479

Primula capitata, a native from of Nepal & Tibet, with their white stems and deep blue-violet flowers are particularly attractive at this time of the year.
View attachment 212480

Still enjoying extended daylight, but, sadly, from now on the nights will start drawing in.

The frog and the newt are Ireland's only indigenous amphibians - two creatures which abound around here (but are rarely visible!). And it is three years since I last saw marsh orchids opposite our cottage (the roadside margin was disturbed by contractors upgrading our local water scheme). However, I was delighted to see five flowers heads appear again. A joy to behold in this rural backwater and nice to see your photographs.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Thanks Trammayo, orchids are much under appreciated in the wild. Last week I was passing a small rocky pasture on the edge of the Cairngorms that was chock full of small creamy white butterfly orchids. Sorry no railway!

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
We have had quite a few dull wet days but at least enough occasional sun to encourage the water lilies and running the odd train.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
We seem to have moved into a Monsoon period and even the local miners are retreating from their flooded galleries under the roots of a wild cherry. Well away from the floods the Nepalese lilies appear to be enjoying the damp conditions.

Regards from the Northern uplands.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Thanks for that Henri, but we have a fox that acts as a regular track inspector, so sorry no rabbits ;).

Last edited: