Signs Of Life..

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Sunny enough and warm enough to encourage the late summer arrival of the small tortoiseshells onto the late flowering Buddleia. We give the Buddleia a hard cut back in the Spring so that the flowers arrive about now to coincide with the late arrive of the butterflies in the far North.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
You obvious don't have rabbits running around... They've managed to eat ALL the flowers from the recently planted plants...

Henri, as an alternative to foxes, keep the rabbits and adjust your plant choice. Our local garden centre appears to promote rabbit tolerant planting. Look in your it may do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Reactions: 1 user

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
We are enjoying a late Summer and early Autumn heatwave, at least by far Northern standards and this has encouraged more butterflies out to feed on the Buddleia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Having been laid low, most of the winter has passed me by. Surprisingly it is still managing to snow as a look out of the window at this very moment!

I 'd like to show you some a few assorted images from the late Autumn

Some Spring images will be along soon..

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice rural garden you have there.:)

We have 5 less chickens since 'she' visited recently.:mad:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Thanks. The head gardener fancies a small clutch of nice speckled hens, but your right, Mrs Fox fancies them even more.

A few images, with low winter sun, from February when I was first up and about..

One of those still frosty mornings when the smoke goes straight up
rackandsteam.jpg
Allysum is cleared out and the heath/heather is just staring to flower. and the daffodils are showing leaf.
997238feb.jpg
A mid March image - and this bold chap is here to welcome the frogs.
raven.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry you have not been well..
For some reason, it decided to show me this thread from the start. No harm in that though.
Grand children really liked the wildlife.

Birds are 'picking' at the tadpoles here.. It appears anything in the garden which will hold water (however little water it holds) has tadpoles in it!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see you posting again - I hope you are better now.

When I view the wild flowers around where we live, I always think of your excellent photographs. We have had primroses out for over five month now - but they've expanded to produce a wonderful display! Wish I could garden!

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Thank you for you kind thoughts and I'm pleased that you all enjoy the images.

It's great when the sun shines!

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Looking back at some of my Autumn images, reminds me that now is the time to cut back your Buddleia so that the flowers will arrive to coincide better with the late Summer/early Autumn butterfly flights and allow your bumbles to get in their winter stocks.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
One of the fun aspects of Garden Railways is that it encompasses lots of skills and stimulating ways of solving problems, The challenge is finding the right plants that happily grow in each area and season across the garden and finding a way to fit in a garden railway.

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Despite the recent rain and snow, the Northern Spring continues to speed up the growth in all areas helped by the longer day length and the warmer sunshine.

Various parts of the railway have been built through and around the Osmanthus over the last 20 odd years ago and it continues to do well in this Northern garden. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
For the wild animal lovers out there, there are some signs of this Springs new life taking shape as there seems to be about four cubs with their den being in amongst a pile of granite on the edge of a nearby field.

Lock up those rabbits and chickens there's hungry mouths to feed!

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Another delightful visitor has arrived to celebrate Spring. A male palmate newt in breeding mode has appeared at the edge of the pond.

Life in the garden is moving along - enjoy it whist you can...

Last edited:

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Everything is suddenly going green and the self seeding Honesty gives a good show at the back of the border early in the season. Honesty can be quite prolific but is easy to control if you don't like too much around your garden but no the less attractive.

Last edited: