zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone out there has made short track pieces out of longer track. If so, maybe you could share some tips on how to go about measuring, cutting, and installing the rail connectors. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and technic in this project.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone out there has made short track pieces out of longer track. If so, maybe you could share some tips on how to go about measuring, cutting, and installing the rail connectors. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and technic in this project.
Yes is my answer?

I use a hacksaw. You just need to measure the gap between the ends of the rail. Rail-clamps are the way to go, but I have re-used fish plate joiners. I once made a short piece of track of just one sleeper!

If you making curved pieces I'd use the same method but use a tape measure rather than a rule....

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There's not much of a secret to it. Remove the existing connectors, slip off the plastic sleepers and cut to size. Like in woodwork measure twice and cut once. Assuming you are cutting by hand, hold the rail in a vice, with slips of wood, plastic or rubber between the jaws as brass rail is quite soft, and cut as square as you can. Check squareness with a set square or similar and if necessary file square and remove any burrs. Cut off an appropriate run of sleepers and job done. Easier to connect small lengths with screw connectors rather than slide on ones, they take less length of rail and you don't have to fiddle with the sleepers to allow room for them. Hope this helps.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I used a Dremel, as idlemarvel said, measure and measure again, until you're absolutely sure you got it right before cutting. Don't forget to leave a small gap though

Reactions: 1 user

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
If you are cutting brass track, a power mitre saw will work well. It leaves a very smooth cut. As said before, MEASURE with care.

---Hutch

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I use an angle grinder - deliberately cut track too long and gently grind away the excess with the side of the disc until it fits. A piece of thick card (cereal box?) placed over the 'gap' and pressure applied to indent the track ends helps with measurements.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Like Mike, I use a carbide cut-off wheel in a battery powered angle grinder. I don't bother to remove the rails from the tie strip. I find it helps to keep the rails even for the cuts. I clean up any burrs with the cut-off wheel too. I use rail-clamps to install the cut section.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Removing fishplates can be a bit of a task, there are a few You Tube Vids to show you how. This link is one of the better ones that I have found over the years.

My favoured method is to razer saw off the lip that goes down into the sleeper the. Bang off with a hammer and old screwdriver. For refitting if you re use LGB Fishplates a gentle press in to make the fit tighter at the top of the fishplate helps. But for the future I will be using the vid above one, less danger involved!

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Removing fishplates can be a bit of a task, there are a few You Tube Vids to show you how. This link is one of the better ones that I have found over the years.

My favoured method is to razer saw off the lip that goes down into the sleeper the. Bang off with a hammer and old screwdriver. For refitting if you re use LGB Fishplates a gentle press in to make the fit tighter at the top of the fishplate helps. But for the future I will be using the vid above one, less danger involved!
Jon, that vid is astonishing, still amazed at the "tab" remaining in tact :)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

A cunning method; one to remember.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, that vid is astonishing, still amazed at the "tab" remaining in tact :)
What is more amazing is the fact that the plastic spike plate remains unharmed.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, looks pretty smooth, but it slides the rails in the ties, how to slide back, and of course for longer straight sections with joiners embedded, even more issues.

I just open the end of the joiner with a screwdriver, flatten it in the jaws of a pair of lineman's pliers, and twist it off in a circular motion which draws the tab from the tie.

I destroy the joiner, but leave everything else intact.

Not really tough...

Greg

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Do not forget to add some liquified Molykote Cu 7439 Plus Paste at your rail joints.
Note: Preliquify it using petrol untill it is fluid like oil, so it creeps in all corners of the joints.
This prevents electric contact problems for many years.
It works so well since the petrol will dissolve in the air again leaving the remaining thick paste to stay on the joins.
The paste is so strong that it will not be washed away by rain.
The result is a perfect corrosion cover of the brass rail with the cupper particles making a very good electric contact.

Gerard

Attachments

• Molycote Cu 7439 Plus Paste.JPG
    Molycote Cu 7439 Plus Paste.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've not heard of Molykote before

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Made by one of the largest chemical companies in the world:

Tons of different varieties, would submit you don't need the metal component for rails. We also commonly use anti-sieze compounds.

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I've not heard of Molykote before
As per Greg’s link, Molykote is a manufacturer, not a product, however the CU 7439 quoted is a copper compound, and should not be mixed with petroleum.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Being in the USA, I interpreted "petrol" as gasoline, agreed, not a great solvent, and dangerous fumes. I would probably try to thin it out with what we call paint thinner, maybe called "mineral spirits" across the pond.

Again, here "petroleum" by itself is normally "petroleum jelly"...

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Being in the USA, I interpreted "petrol" as gasoline, agreed, not a great solvent, and dangerous fumes. I would probably try to thin it out with what we call paint thinner, maybe called "mineral spirits" across the pond.

Again, here "petroleum" by itself is normally "petroleum jelly"...

Greg
Greg, you are indeed correct, petrol, petroleum and gasoline all different names for the same thing. Petroleum jelly is made from gasoline extract, and that is one reason is should not be used on rubber type seals, as it attacks the seal, and specific compounds (often silicon based) should be used.

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

I send a mail to the guy that informed me years ago about the copper grease dissolvent type.
So i hope to inform you all about this in due course.
The use of this copper grease is really a breakthrough.
I applied it 4 years ago and i still have no contact problems.
When i remove a connection the brass rails are still as new!
The dissolvent is essential in order to get the grease over the whole surface of the connection.
Apparently the grease enables a little bit of shearing of the connections due to track temperature differences without letting oxigen inside these connections.
The grease is extremely strong and adhesive so raindrops can not remove it.

Gerard