Short Track Pieces

Z

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
I was wondering if anyone out there has made short track pieces out of longer track. If so, maybe you could share some tips on how to go about measuring, cutting, and installing the rail connectors. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and technic in this project.

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I was wondering if anyone out there has made short track pieces out of longer track. If so, maybe you could share some tips on how to go about measuring, cutting, and installing the rail connectors. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and technic in this project.
Yes is my answer?

I use a hacksaw. You just need to measure the gap between the ends of the rail. Rail-clamps are the way to go, but I have re-used fish plate joiners. I once made a short piece of track of just one sleeper!

If you making curved pieces I'd use the same method but use a tape measure rather than a rule....

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
There's not much of a secret to it. Remove the existing connectors, slip off the plastic sleepers and cut to size. Like in woodwork measure twice and cut once. Assuming you are cutting by hand, hold the rail in a vice, with slips of wood, plastic or rubber between the jaws as brass rail is quite soft, and cut as square as you can. Check squareness with a set square or similar and if necessary file square and remove any burrs. Cut off an appropriate run of sleepers and job done. Easier to connect small lengths with screw connectors rather than slide on ones, they take less length of rail and you don't have to fiddle with the sleepers to allow room for them. Hope this helps.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I used a Dremel, as idlemarvel said, measure and measure again, until you're absolutely sure you got it right before cutting. Don't forget to leave a small gap though

Reactions: 1 user
Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
If you are cutting brass track, a power mitre saw will work well. It leaves a very smooth cut. As said before, MEASURE with care.

---Hutch

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
I use an angle grinder - deliberately cut track too long and gently grind away the excess with the side of the disc until it fits. A piece of thick card (cereal box?) placed over the 'gap' and pressure applied to indent the track ends helps with measurements.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Like Mike, I use a carbide cut-off wheel in a battery powered angle grinder. I don't bother to remove the rails from the tie strip. I find it helps to keep the rails even for the cuts. I clean up any burrs with the cut-off wheel too. I use rail-clamps to install the cut section.

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
hacksaw for length, pliers for needed curve, new or reconditioned fishplates/LGB-connectors.
wooden or original sleepers as needed.
from the second one on it's easy.

track10.JPG

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Removing fishplates can be a bit of a task, there are a few You Tube Vids to show you how. This link is one of the better ones that I have found over the years.

My favoured method is to razer saw off the lip that goes down into the sleeper the. Bang off with a hammer and old screwdriver. For refitting if you re use LGB Fishplates a gentle press in to make the fit tighter at the top of the fishplate helps. But for the future I will be using the vid above one, less danger involved!

Reactions: 1 users
JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Removing fishplates can be a bit of a task, there are a few You Tube Vids to show you how. This link is one of the better ones that I have found over the years.

My favoured method is to razer saw off the lip that goes down into the sleeper the. Bang off with a hammer and old screwdriver. For refitting if you re use LGB Fishplates a gentle press in to make the fit tighter at the top of the fishplate helps. But for the future I will be using the vid above one, less danger involved!
Jon, that vid is astonishing, still amazed at the "tab" remaining in tact :)

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks

A cunning method; one to remember.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Jon, that vid is astonishing, still amazed at the "tab" remaining in tact :)
What is more amazing is the fact that the plastic spike plate remains unharmed.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Yeah, looks pretty smooth, but it slides the rails in the ties, how to slide back, and of course for longer straight sections with joiners embedded, even more issues.

I just open the end of the joiner with a screwdriver, flatten it in the jaws of a pair of lineman's pliers, and twist it off in a circular motion which draws the tab from the tie.

I destroy the joiner, but leave everything else intact.

Not really tough...

Greg