Scissors Crossing..with R1 points...60 degree crossing

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I'm thinking about a redesign of a fiddle yard, and was wondering about an R1 scissors crossing. For this I would need a 60 degree crossing section.
I remember seeing a kit ( possibly German ) for one. A quick search returns nothing. I've looked at Trainline, all their ready made items are below 45, such as 30, 20 etc.
Also Thiel don't do one...

Looking for one in 'LGB' code 332, prefer ready made as it's to be on a portable modular layout.

Piko have one in their catalogue..along with other points which have yet to make an appearance!!!

Malcolm
If it is 30 degree crossing, is not the other side 60 degree?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If it is 30 degree crossing, is not the other side 60 degree?

Technically, yes..... but try making a hosentraeger crossover with one fitted in sideways.....! ;)

Jon.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Well I think you bypassed my simple mind not sure what you are trying to accomplish but good luck, Enclosed is a cross over of 1 I used in order for trains to move from a inner loop to a outer loop without babysitting like running trains during O beer thirty but also being able to run 2 trains at the same time and not have them interfere with one another on two different loops, Bill xing loop to loop.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, if confused about what he wants, see posts 1 and 2 :), you have to read back to the first page

scissors crossing, also known as a double crossover

ScissorAnimation.gif

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, if confused about what he wants, see posts 1 and 2 :), you have to read back to the first page

ScissorAnimation.gif
I now understand what he wants but don't understand the 60 degree part and yes I was wrong suggesting that was the opposite side of the 30 degree, as stocker pointed out would be 150 degree

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I always get confused on the degrees of a crossing... I guess it is the "narrow" end that is measured... I think using a crossing rotated 90 degrees would mean the "mainlines" were way far apart from each other.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So the beer was crap then but is much better now; it doesn't explain why pubs were plentyful then but have all but disappeared now.
Me I only ever drink Lager anyway but I do miss my favourite pub on Hartshead
Largely because that's all there was - or Guiness or Stout

As to pubs disappearing - probably TV and commuting are the main causes :think::think::think::think:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
yea but it's hard to beat a cool beer in the fridge, no matter what kind!!!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy, are those 'frog' bits insulated or do they require switching? I can follow the way the current is fed along the live rail from blown up piccies, but the mounting/wiring of those 4 castings is not clear (apart from the securing pin).
Hullo Mike, no switching required.

The rails are very cleverly isolated from each other, and the 'castings' you refer to are not metal, but an insulating material....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

ScissorAnimation.gif
There's a very famous one of those slap bang in the middle of Cambridge Station. Causes all sorts of bafflement, with trains leaving northwards and southwards from the same platform

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There's a very famous one of those slap bang in the middle of Cambridge Station. Causes all sorts of bafflement, with trains leaving northwards and southwards from the same platform
Now you know why I wanted one on my railway Paul!

I tried to do it with LGB points and crossings, before I gave up and brought the bit of kit from Bertram Heyn.

I've also got a couple of these on my Kato N gauge layout. The come as one piece and operate with a single point changer. A fabulous piece of kit and quite popular with the N gauge folks....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So you can have prototypical
Now you know why I wanted one on my railway Paul!

I tried to do it with LGB points and crossings, before I gave up and brought the bit of kit from Bertram Heyn.

I've also got a couple of these on my Kato N gauge layout. The come as one piece and operate with a single point changer. A fabulous piece of kit and quite popular with the N gauge folks....
So you can include prototypical delays into your running sessions?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
So you can have prototypical

So you can include prototypical delays into your running sessions?
Oh yus!

At the moment, I have a serious leaves on the line issue.... :eek:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I know this is about R1s but I've been giving this some thought. Am I brave enough to...…………..?

crossover release.png

Just a little bit of trimming required and Bob's your uncle.:think::think::think::think::think::wondering:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I know this is about R1s but I've been giving this some thought. Am I brave enough to...…………..?

View attachment 246227

Just a little bit of trimming required and Bob's your uncle.:think::think::think::think::think::wondering:
Time for Mr Angle Grinder Mike!

But what will be your track spacing, centre to centre, for that configuration....

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Ya
Wouldn't that work if you pulled it apart so the X/cross works and install some stubby straights ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You mean increase the track to track spacing so no trimming needed? you might still have to trim a bit of the diverging routes to make the crossing align... of course the longer the "straight section" in the middle, the less of an "S" curve you have.

Greg