idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This is one of the first PIKO wagons to be produced, in 2008. Since then many versions of the Eaos gondola have been produced, at least 16, in a multitude of colours from brown to green, blue, yellow, even pink and magenta.

20230216_161218.jpg

The prototype was and in some variants still is used on many European railways, including Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. The version in this model is Eaos 106 (without handbrake) which was the first version of this wagon, and is in DB livery. They were in use from 1978 until 2018. The steel walls in the early version were found to be too thin as you can see from this picture of an Austrian wagon:

2018-03-02_%28208%29_31_81_5341_378-2_at_Bahnhof_St._Valentin.jpg

The model is quite a good likeness (without the dents!). The number of panels and reinforcement bars is correct, apart from the horizontal bars on the front panel, but I think they varied as operators tried to reinforce the original steel panels. The bogies are not a bad representation either:

20230216_161304.jpg

Details of the prototype can be found here:
There is more information here but it is a "non-secure" site (because it doesn't use HTTPS).

The prototype and model dimensions are as follows:

length 14.04 m 520 mm scale 1:27
height 2.02 m 119 mm scale 1:27
width 2.76 m 110 mm scale 1:25
wheelbase 1.80 m 66 mm scale 1:27
pivot 9.00 m 334 mm scale 1:27

So it is all pretty much in scale. PIKO models use a rubber ruler like LGB and are generally in scale within the range of 1:26-1:29. As they are meant to represent standard gauge models they should be 1:32 (gauge 1) but they are made a little larger so they can be mixed with LGB stock which is typically narrow gauge.

The UIC numbering on the model is accurate for Eaos wagons and goes like this:
11 11 means this is a 4-axle freight wagon
80 80 is country code for Germany
534 50x-55x means open wagon and 534 is one of the codes within that range for Eaos wagons
3 724-0 serial number with checksum

For more details of UIC numbering see here:
UIC-Wagennummer – Wikipedia (German)
or here:
Railfaneurope.net (English but again "non-secure" site)

I have fitted (LGB) metal wheels (30 mm). The coupling hooks are standard loop and hook and are at the correct height above rail. It runs fine on R1 curves and points despite the length. Without metal wheels it would be a bit light and you might get some "stringing" derailments if you ran a long rake around R1 curves. Unlike similar LGB models the doors do not open but I've never found a lot of use for that kind of thing. The model comes with alternative central "narrow gauge" buffer beams which might be useful if you wanted to run this on an RhB themed layout for example.

Overall this is a good, realistic and reasonably detailed model and they can be found quite cheaply second hand, £50-60. New ones are £160 RRP and if you add metal wheels you are getting to £200 which is probably a bit much for me, but each to their own.

I don't intend to do much detailing other than to paint the grabrails and loading hooks yellow, and the buffer beams should be brown not black. I'll update the thread when I've done that.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul Stanton

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice review Dave. Thank you for the prototype pic you included and the information links. The Y25 bogies are well represented and I have always hoped that Piko would sell the bogies separately.

Paul

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice review Dave. Thank you for the prototype pic you included and the information links. The Y25 bogies are well represented and I have always hoped that Piko would sell the bogies separately.

Paul
Thanks Paul. The bogies (Drehgestell) are available as a spare part, see extracts from Ersatzteile and piko.de web site.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I guess you would need to order them from PIKO America as PIKO.de don't ship outside of EU.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I painted the buffer beam, hand rails and loading hooks. The match to the brown is not brilliant, a mix of 80% red, 10% black and 10% orange. I had a ready-mixed "bauxite brown" but it wasn't red enough.

20230218_102646.jpg

Paul Stanton

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Dave for your response. I contacted Menzels to see if they can get me the part. If they can't, I will contact PIKO America as you suggested.

Do you know where a list of all the different wagons of this type can be found?
EANOS,
EAMNOS
EALOS
EALOS-t

I see these descriptions, but what is different with the wagons? Visually, I think the EANOS are higher capacity than the EAOS.

Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of these obtained from I think Topslots or Glendale before Brian shut shop. It has had the wheels pushed out to Gauge 3 and is just to run with my Rollwagens. It sits on two of them. A little bit of light weathering has been indulged in but really could do with a number change to backdate it some.
486B403B-C81B-48CB-A48B-A427D8F0488A.jpeg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Dave for your response. I contacted Menzels to see if they can get me the part. If they can't, I will contact PIKO America as you suggested.

Do you know where a list of all the different wagons of this type can be found?
EANOS,
EAMNOS
EALOS
EALOS-t

I see these descriptions, but what is different with the wagons? Visually, I think the EANOS are higher capacity than the EAOS.

Paul
I need to do some more research but as a start this site describes the EANOS
Basically they are 1.7m longer.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
FYI Paul this site covers Eaos, Eanos, Ealos and Eas wagons

Paul Stanton

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the links. That is great information.
Menzels got back to me and said they do not order spare parts. Piko America did respond and they can take orders for parts.

Jonathan Meador <j.meador@piko-america.com>​

Mon, Feb 20, 4:49 PM (14 hours ago)
to me
Hello Paul! We would need to have the part shipped from Germany, since we order many parts at once. This happens about one a month Your cost would be $25.59 + tax + 9.55 for Shipping / Handling.

PIKO America Support
619-280-2800

Paul

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I had to look thrice to determine if that last photo was of the prototype or not !