Rust-Oleum Stone Spray Paint

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody used these ? My all Grey Church is nearing painting time and it needs to go back to a Sandstone looking colour as there arn't many Granit build churches around in the UK, Rust-oleum make stone paints that look like stone, but no idea if the stone finish will look to scale at 2 x £9 for two tins, expensive to buy one if its no good as I don't really have another use for it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Would a couple of 'Sandtex' (other brands are available) tester-pots be a viable, cheaper alternative, perhaps?

PhilP.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
They are pretty good but they can give a very homogenous finish that needs a bit of 'weathering' to make it a bot more realistic.
I use it as a base coat (not very thick) and then use pastels to give it more realism and then a couple of coats matt spray varnish over it all.
Mask any windows before any spray is applied.
I used the system on my new tunnel portals and retaining walls.

8 tunnel upper finished 1.jpg

6 tunnel finished lower 3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not directly related (sorry!), but I used Rustoleum cast iron paint for the corrugated iron roof of the engine shed: it went on well and looked good, but the nozzle blocked after the first use. Inverting the can to blow the nozzle clean didn't work. The stone paint my be different, but I had to treat it as a 'one shot' paint: which made it an expensive roof. :cry:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Phil all my brick foam board building have been been finished with sandtex masonry paints, and then a coat of matt varnish over the top works very well. The church is made from converted playmobil castle parts and 3D printed parts, at the moment sprayed with grey primer , as its all a trype of plastic I was thinking spraying would be the best as a base coat for it.

Beavercreek, that tunnels looking good, and I think your pics answer the basic question . I was worried the speckle size in the paint would look out of scale, but looking at your pics they do look like stone and to-scale, I haven't been weathering my buildings, I have left it to nature so far, your right a big single stone built church will need some I think, or it will look a bit toy like :)

Northsider I will remember that , in my case I think I will use a whole tin in one go to give it all a base coat , probally two tins in reality :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not directly related (sorry!), but I used Rustoleum cast iron paint for the corrugated iron roof of the engine shed: it went on well and looked good, but the nozzle blocked after the first use. Inverting the can to blow the nozzle clean didn't work. The stone paint my be different, but I had to treat it as a 'one shot' paint: which made it an expensive roof. :cry:
Did you try soaking the nozzle in white spirits?

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I've used stone effect spray paint in the past while making replica statues of ancient Egyptian gods which were about 18" tall. (Aprox 1:12th scale.)
It seemed a bit to coarse for the faux sandstone effect I was after and the texture was rather rough and required a light sanding to even it out.
No photos unfortunately, but I did find a video that gives you some kind of idea of the finish. That said, the finish on the cap of the tin is pretty accurate.
Regards,
Paul.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I used a sandstone colored Rust_Oleum "Multi-Color" textured paint to paint my LGB bridge piers. I'm quite pleased, and yes, I agree the cap does give a very good representation of what the finish looks like. Don't have any closeups but you can see the piers in Post #2 of the "Pictures of weathered bridges" thread.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
They are pretty good but they can give a very homogenous finish that needs a bit of 'weathering' to make it a bot more realistic.
I use it as a base coat (not very thick) and then use pastels to give it more realism and then a couple of coats matt spray varnish over it all.
Mask any windows before any spray is applied.
I used the system on my new tunnel portals and retaining walls.

View attachment 275653

View attachment 275652
What a great looking bridge/tunnel! May I ask where the walls and tunnel liner came from?
Thanks, Les.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
P Paul M -Yes, but sadly to no avail. I think it's one of those odd paints -like Hammerite- that have their own brew of thinners...