LGB 2015 gets a sister, from a 2217d

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
hey guys long time no see, i am doing things in G again, just has been easier to put the build logs on particular social media groups.
heres the tale of the 2217, a loco with a sadly mismatched tender, just begging for a repaint and some european-ification.

photo_2021-04-01_12-42-11.jpg

the sole intent was to make her a match with the 2015 i recently purchased, whilst making her look unique (cutting out the colours of green and black) so i settled on that cool and odd looking burgundy/brown colour that they put on the stainz back in the 1970's. so onto the computer and punched out a set of 'similar' decals (with a few subtle modifications) to match it's new sister. once these arrived, the process of dissasembly and prep began.
photo_2021-08-02_11-56-00.jpgphoto_2021-08-06_13-41-30.jpg

loco was painted with a tamiya grey primer, once dry was airbrushed with SMS acrylic laquer paints (SMS is a new upstart brand in australia, paint already pre-thinned and smoothed enough to go straight through the brush, lovely jubbly stuff, i swear by it, even in HO) those following along used a mixture of SMS hull red, Raaf brown and a single drop of jet black to try and swing it close to the darker tone. then the bulk areas masked off so jet black black could be applied to the cab roof and foot plate.
speaking of, both underframe parts were treated similarly with primer then a mix of SMS paints. sort of failed to match the faded red of my 2015, but the Itallian red toned up with a candy pink, it definitely gives that 'bright' look to the underframe parts and put it down to looking as if it were a freshly tooled lgb red item, so its good enough hahah,
photo_2021-08-06_13-41-31.jpg

several semi-gloss coats and a set of really nice waterslide transfers later and she's finally got the looks of her sister, was lucky enough to be able to swap her dark red wheels out for a fresh set of bright red 2015 ones i bought from a dealer in the sydney area. best bit is the tender is a sound one so ive got the best of a smoke loco and a sound one, we're all currently stuck inside again down here in melbourne due to obvious reasons. so as soon as we can i'll be taking them both out to someone elses line to get some glammour shots, but for now im super happy with how it worked out. and definitely wets my whistle for other repaints in the future.

got a couple of kitbash logs come stay tuned.
photo_2021-08-07_14-42-12.jpgphoto_2021-08-07_14-42-13.jpg
photo_2021-08-07_14-42-14.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
i guess its probably worth dropping here too (not worth the second thread), i was lucky enough within the last few years to not only get one SEG mallet, but two of them (one missing its electrical board amongst other things)
photo_2020-12-13_16-44-22.jpg
intention is to convert her to a 'switch in' RC system, but for now, she's been altered to have a terracotta finish, yet again to make her stand out but yeah happy with how shes turned out too
photo_2021-03-25_18-03-16.jpgphoto_2021-03-25_18-03-20.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Great looking paint job.
where on earth did you find those decals?
lettering is a major hurdle for my own repainting.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic paint work on then both

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Great looking paint job.
where on earth did you find those decals?
lettering is a major hurdle for my own repainting.
cheers gents.

i took photos of the 2015's sides and traced them in a graphics program, had to get them custom printed with a waterslide decale company in queensland, not as crisp as pad printing but they suit :)