Running on grass.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
I ran on grass while I sorted my marital problems out..........

Better than running on weed....

E

Elmtree Line

I ran trains for a while at my parents on grass, doesnt take long to whack some track down, or pull it up after the day or weekend. Kept the grass short otherwise it gets on the track and makes a wet mushy mess. Gave the railway a very old fashioned narrow gauge look. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/music1radio#p/u/92/K0Xd0Xs2jbE < Link To http://www.youtube.com/mu...dio#p/u/92/K0Xd0Xs2jbE

flyingsignalman

Narrow Gauge railways, Garden railways, Signalling
24 Oct 2009
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Last year, to keep my spirits up, I put the track down on the lawn when the weather permitted (not very often then:impatient: )
44080fafd3f64e648aeef32b7ae6cd4e.jpg

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I had the layout on grass for nearly 2yrs but got fed up with lifting the track to mow.
I never managed to get the track back the same. It always ended up a differnt shape!
The most annoying part was cleaning the grassy crud off the drivers caused by the grass stems growing between the sleepers and being crushed by the wheels.

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Roland ,Just an idea - i have mixed the ballast with cement - do this dry brush into place then use a watering can -- the flymo wont blow the ballast away - hope this helps Regards Dave

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
perhaps I might dig a 2 inch channel under the track, build it up with Pea gravel so that the track is at a "general" level with the earth. In theory, I should then be able to mow over the track. Anyone tried it?
In parts :clap::clap: (use a bit of geotex under the gravel)

Also - Google for pictures of the Dismal Swamp Railroad (seriously) :D

0eddb08412824edebdb76d395136f586.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
My battery powered RC Playmobil line usually runs round three sides of a small pond but when we were recently away for a few days I decided to move the track from around the pond and store it inside. However, as it was a fine, sunny day I decided that in the process I would set out a layout on the lawn to see how the loco ran over an undulating surface. Here are some photos of the trial.

At one end I had a simple terminus with a run around so the loco could be run round from the front to the back of the train for the return journey:

Runaroundend.jpg

At the other end I had a siding and a loop so that the train automatically ended up ready for the return journey:

Returnloop.jpg

So here's the train just after setting off for the run towards the loop end:

Outinthecountry.jpg

And then out in the country:

Ontheway.jpg

Here it is on the return journey:

Busyline.jpg

And finally arriving at the terminus with another train:

Nearlyhome.jpg

I was quite pleased with the trial as the lawn was far from level in places. For example, the trucks on the siding at the loop had to have the leading one off the rails to prevent them running down on to the main line. And the unevenness was also lateral with the loco and rolling stock tilting to one side quite noticeably on some sections.

So running on grass even at the budget end of the market (all the stuff is off eBay) works, but levelling does help. (The layout is now indoors, scattered about the place as I experiment with different variations. It can't return to the pond for some time as where it was is now covered with plant pots in places to keep the birds (crows, gulls and a heron) from taking the frogs from the pond.)