Country flag
The title made me think of somthing very diffrent :rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've run temporary test tracks straight on grass several times - it's also shown a lot in LGB's older product literature - and isn't there a load of videos up on youtube from a European group who set out amazing temporary layouts on lawns?
The biggest problem is uneven lawn, of course - if you have a garden that is really flat then you're very lucky. Then there is the fact that you're going to have to mow very regularly to keep the grass short enough under the track, and to do that you're going to be taking it up and relaying it a lot (the track, not the turf....).
Other than that, it's worked fine for me! Given how fastidious we are told we should be about good tracklaying, it never ceases to amaze me how well LGB stock copes with almost any old bit of rail thrown down on a bumpy lawn!

Jon.

eye-kay

Trams, narrow gauge, and anything else on rails
26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I had a section running on grass for a while. Cutting the grass gets to be a pain as you have to lift the track.

You also find that the track is wet in the morning as dew from the grass covers it. Does wonders for electrical conductivity!

However it does allow you to try out new layouts before digging big holes in the garden.

Ian

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I moved to Leagrave in 1987 I had my Terminus down in about 4 days. However the rest of the line took some time so I laid a reverse loop on the lawn just moving it as I built the line up the Garden. Worked a treat, but I was mostly Live Steam back in those days.

We used to run on Grass with LGB Track and electrics at shows (a couple of years at least at Cholsey Show) and also in my mates garden when he had BBQ's.

Also there is my Video of the Autiomatic Layout that I put down for a garden Party in Letchworth summer before last:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl8y...but not sure if you will have seen it. JonD

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Our lawn would be no good for track as the guniea pig would eat it . :rofl:
76497a6dbcd64fab98960a692abcd178.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Richie said:
Our lawn would be no good for track as the guniea pig would eat it . :rofl:
images
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I run on grass all the time. Yes you have to take it up & put it down but you can lay it to suit your need. All around the garden, a shunting/switching layout or a simple back & forth. It can be uneven but a bit of packing can overcome that. I would use something to hold it together as locos can be heavy & force the track apart. I use royal mail elastic bands courtesy of the postie. I use my little Davenport to test the circuit & then the Shay to find all the snags. It is heavy & the bogie will come off the track where there are problems. You can sort it out straight away.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, do you really have a relationship with Catherine Zeta Jones !?!?!:D?!?! Does Michael know about it? :angry: Hey, listen, if you're not interested in her any more, can I have her number?:callme:

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
sadly not in the same league, but i can give you margret thatchers number?????.
any good to anyone ??.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ran on the lawn earlier this year. Keep yer grass short and enjoy.

8445a4b4f04a4189a5e33e82f7fbcf65.jpg

c689b2f7892b4321ae391cfff6619faf.jpg

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I never ran on grass. I think it would be a pain having to take it up everytime you mow. That could be once a week. I dont understand why one would rather run on grass and not build something permenant unless you live in a rental or condo where it is not allowed.

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have run on grass for the last couple of years now, we have had no problems whatsoever. The track stays in place even with long and heavy trains and is cleaned before packing away. I find that if the grass is cut short before track laying then you have about a week before it starts to grow too long again. This means operations tend to become weekend 'extravaganzas' rather than short bursts and an event in themselves. I think having everything packed away during the bad winter conditions must help track condition, but of course precludes winter running, which doesnt bother me as I hate the cold with a vengence.
The garden is on an incline which means Live Steam driving is a continuous job so radio control is almost a minimum requirement unless you like excercise. Do to their weight it was only the live steamers that originally had difficulty with curves. I had a couple of derailments until I got the geometry right....you just couldnt put them anywhere, it had to be level!! Obvious maybe, at least in hindsight.
Another bonus of a temporary layout is a depot can be ammended for different uses. Ours varies from a tight radius tram depot to a main line Diesel Shed on different days.

ee2174d0cc014c4c9df540e42b86021b.jpg

48fc280ab21f4b9293c49713b3a260f4.jpg

335c59739cdb466eb6aeff40b4c6156c.jpg

eye-kay

Trams, narrow gauge, and anything else on rails
26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Hemp-shunt?
I have the Euro equivalent of a Davenport and a Shay

Well that's OK then. The logging lines that Shay's ran on tended to be rough and lightly laid directly on the ground, so it will be more realistic!

Ian

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Oh dear paul, if it got really bad guess you would have started smoking it...

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Seriously tho, I had to run on grass for a while, just had to keep it shortish and whack the ground flat under the track with a 2lb clubammer occasionally.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Best of both worlds? Rip up your grass, replace it with Astroturf and put the track on that. :D

Should I get me coat??????? :confused::confused:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
annieshalt said:
sadly not in the same league, but i can give you margret thatchers number?????.
any good to anyone ??.

Is she still kicking???? I already have one hard headed woman. Don't need two!!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Having no form of permanat layout, I have no choice in the matter, especially after a loco dripped oil on the light beige living room carpet........
2baebf443ebe4c0fbcbab3974930de5e.jpg

176b9e9fc84748d08c3527cf917b60f6.jpg

David