Roundhouse service

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
My Roundhouse Katie has been steaming poorly lately ( lots of steam but power was down ) so I reckoned a service was in order.
I fitted a new cylinder service kit and checked for loose fittings etc.
The engine was steamed but still ran poorly.
Back to the bench where burner was cleaned.
I removed the lubricator which also appeared ok, however on closer inspection it was bunged up with semi solid gunge.
I gave it a thorough cleaning and blew it through.
The engine was steamed again and runs fine.
So if your Roundhouse is running rough check the lubricator and give it a clean.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My Roundhouse Katie has been steaming poorly lately ( lots of steam but power was down ) so I reckoned a service was in order.
I fitted a new cylinder service kit and checked for loose fittings etc.
The engine was steamed but still ran poorly.
Back to the bench where burner was cleaned.
I removed the lubricator which also appeared ok, however on closer inspection it was bunged up with semi solid gunge.
I gave it a thorough cleaning and blew it through.
The engine was steamed again and runs fine.
So if your Roundhouse is running rough check the lubricator and give it a clean.
Oh great shout, my RH Russel has been so awful not run it for a long time. I fitted new gas jet and regulator still poor. Next will try the lubricator, probably never been cleaned in its life and I bought loco second hand.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Oh great shout, my RH Russel has been so awful not run it for a long time. I fitted new gas jet and regulator still poor. Next will try the lubricator, probably never been cleaned in its life and I bought loco second hand.
If you use a cocktail stick have a good scrape around and make sure the pinhole in the steam pipe is clear as well. Hope it works..

IMG_20211209_130442726_HDR.jpg
Here she is after the service, absolutely played with this lot.....