Rotary Snow Plow

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
More done on the rotary. Finished the foil work, so cut out the windows to expose the clear plastic. Did not want to do all the interior, so some windows are black vinyl. Top of the cab is done and a new discharge chute(for looks only) Now on to the roof, which I have scanty info on so will mostly be a wing job! Got a RS-3 to help push it some also. Painting it UP colors.

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Nice work Jerry. I am following this as well on the Aristo Forum, but here I can ask the question what on earth is that cut & shut modeling job in your picture ref RotRun4e.JPG, I would love to know and I think mother would as well.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Waldgrun, That is a crazy idea I had to make a loco out of two Aristo E-8 noses. I know a guy here in the US that cuts the noses off to make E-8B units, which Aristo chose not to do. I got a wild hair to use them and make that. Took more work/time than I thought(as usual). I hooked my Eggliner coaches I made up to it. Coaches are made from two observation car ends that I got from ebay and guys. See my web site for details. Not sure if I put the 88(what I call the strange loco) on the web site or not, I'll have to go look. I know the eggliner coach build is on there.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit more to the rotary, red stripes and a rear coupler. Mostly waiting for some parts to come in, need to check on those I guess.

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Jerry thank for your reply.
I though there was a touch of eggliners about your cut & shut no 88. To see it hauling your eggy set is interesting having read your postings elsewhere. One thing my other half, S.W.M.B.O. can not get her mind around the fact that some people are prepared to cut expensive models about! Still it seem you have benefited from their actions!

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
<p><font color="#000099"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Your doing great Jerry. Your new plow looks just great. Like everyone else here I await its maiden trip. :applause: I see this thread one or two places but I have an aversion to snow - I hate it, especially the wet slushy stuff that seems to fall most years over here. Luckily in this area it is once every ten years or so. :D
</font></font></font></p><p> </p>

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys. I was in Cheyenne over Thanksgiving and took my son/grandkids to the UP steam shops for a tour. They had the rotary in the steam shop ready to go. I climbed up to the top to see what it looked like. Just open diamond shaped mesh on top to walk on and an escape hatch up near the front. So will look for some material for that. I need nice dry snow for the rotary to plow though, wet stuff won't work!

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
After running the rotary some I decided to put in the new blade I had gotten. It was recommended Rayman, over on the MLS column. Ron Senek bought me one when he got one for his rotary. It has a flatter profile, so should grab better than the half worn one I was using. I also added a large wing nut, Jim Carter had found it helpful to break up the snow in the middle. The red paint is prototypical, mostly. The UP plow has red/silver blades. I also added some weight to the rotary and the RS-3 pusher unit. Used truck tire weights work great. I had used ones, new ones have adhesive on the back to stick them on.
RotRedBlade.JPG

GANDYDANCER

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
Great piece of work, the plough looks awesome

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
The rotary crew was getting pretty antsy with no snow to plow. So they thought if they painted the blades silver it would appease the snow gods. Alas, the management was NOT happy and docked their pay. The crew stood tall though, knowing they were in the right.
RotBladeSlvr.JPG

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Korm, I think the video is posted in the video forum here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewugstqn6LU
I got the red handles on from Ozarks. Adds to the look. More snow is forecast for Wed, but may get freezing rain first(yuck!).
RotRedLdr.JPG

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
My wife got the vinyl lettering cut for the rotary. This about wraps it up, a bit of grill work on the back is about it. Had great fun.
Rot10.JPG

Rot11.JPG

Rot12.JPG

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Thats a mean looking beastie - :)

A great finish with the silver tape for the metalwork. I'm impressed. I always get bubbles underneath whenever i try to do something with large areas of tape or similar.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Last shots of the rotary before going in the shed. Been warm and no snow forecast for awhile. This pix shows the roof grills and stanchions on and the UP symbol. Had fun with this, now off to the next project until it snows again.
RotOutDone2.JPG