Rotary Snow Plow

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am still working on my rotary snow plow, had posts on it over on G scale mad. Here you see the metal foil I used to put in rivet patterns with a pounce wheel. I used a ball point pen for the panel lines. It is metal duct tape, has an adhesive back and you peel off the backing to stick it on, it sticks real good. I used it on my Challenger last year and paint adheres to it fine also.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rich

Railways from model to 1:1.</br>T.V. - comedy, Doc
24 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
Thats looking really good Jerry, the detail so far is stunning. :)

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Coming on really nice Jerry :clap: Will it be ready for your first winters snowful :banghead: :D

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I took two days off to clean up my work room. I got serious and went through all my bins
and drawers, threw away a lot of stuff and re-organized storage for easier cleanup and finding things.
Hopefully no more counter tops with 6" of stuff piled on them! Feeble hope, I know.

Anyway, I got back to the rotary. Put a flanger underneath and got the foil on one side, with embossed
doors. Still need to do the other side and the top sections, so a ways to go.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Got some more done on the Rotary. Sides are done, with the doors embossed into
the metal foil. Starting on the cab windows and the top, which is removable to get
inside to swap batteries for the drill motor, which powers the blade. The glass areas
will be cut out later, leaving the windows. I put some LED's in the front also.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brillaint Jerry cant wait to see it in opperation

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I've been out-rivetted!

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Doug, but they are not individual rivets, just fake ones! I got one side done, with the vents made from the Aristo B unit screens. After these pix I also used the metal foil around the fan area in back. I did find a few blurry pix of the top of the snowplow, so hope to have somethng reasonably close to what it looks like. Some walkways on top and I think some round fans. I have a couple of E-8 fan shrouds I will use.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Jerry, </font></p><p><font size="3">Your 'Monster' is looking very good, it looks to be a HUGE vehicle from looking at the door in the rear - congratulations. </font></p><p><font size="3">Have you had the conditions to try it out over there yet?</font></p>

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Peter, cool pix thanks! Did have one snow I tried it on, but it was way too deep and a bit soft. Basic concept did work,
so that is why I have continued with it. The beast just appealed to me, for some reason! I did buy another diesel to help push
it. The beast is based on a Aristo B unit and has powered trucks, the drill motor that powers the blade is battery powered so it can
run full bore all the time. I use a 18 volt batter, as Ron Senek advised. He has a rotary and found the 18 volt batter into a 12volt
drill really spins it good. I did buy another cheap 12 volt drill, just in case!

BradDash

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Beast is a very apt description Jerry, looking good

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
Nicely done, Jerry. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got a bit more done to the rotary. Pix here shows the bump on top of the cab still loose, I took
off the one I had on there, this one will be better. Once foil is on all the roof I will add some vents and
walkways. Hard to find any pix of the top, ones I found are not very helpful. No one wanted to climb
on top of this big thing, including me! Note the figure I made is now in the cab, still need to put the
foil around the front windows and cut out the foil to see inside. Trucks are painted silver as the
prototype is, back door is silver and I added foil around the fan. The discharge chute will be changed
also, but will be left loose to remove for operations. Nice and warm here though!

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Took the rotary out for a test run to make sure the top would clear everything. Did fine!

Mousey

Registered
1 Nov 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Great looking build Jerry. Looking forward to seeing it working in anger.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Got the foil on the front windows and cut out, will post another boring pix soon. Workbench is still clean and I'm actually enjoying it. I got all my storage bins in one place, so easy to find stuff and put it away. Now if I would only do that in the wood shop!