Roll-wagen project

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really good James.
I might just have to do a Harz one when I can find time. The LGB Harz tanker is just calling out for one.
But it has to wait, I have another cunning plan on the go at the moment.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Alan, I've got three other cunning plans on at the moment, what are you waiting for! Seriously if you want some more detail on anything from my build I'll happily pass it on, I've got plenty of sketches and a CAD drawing that have helped me get this far...

Paul, yes behind the sofa. Rather than a loop my daughter and I built an end to end line at my Mum's this afternoon. The wagon would look great on you line, and it does R1s!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks James - later. Pendlebury has a habit of filling in my spare modelling time on a fairly regular bases. I am seriously considering stopping doing the completed and painted models and just concentrate on the kits.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've uploaded a short un-edited video of the small Lilliput diesel shunter pulling the Roll-wagen. You can see it traverse R1 reverse curves (through the point) and around longer sweeping R1 curves successfully. I also have one of it pushing but my daughter is in the way a lot on that one, whereas on here, you just get her audio commentary!

http://youtu.be/bOrXt0BqqZk

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hehe, the sound track reminds me of some of the comments from the young Directors in my videos :happy:

The wagon looks good, and a nice test track arrangement by the way - is it a permanent arrangement:rofl:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Are you going to build a short transfer siding, James? I saw this on youtube and your project came to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcNFJAhWDJY&feature=relmfu < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...DJY&feature=relmfu Does anyone know how the actually propel the wagons on and off? There doesn't seem to be and standards gauge locomotives there at all.
Edit. I've just seen the start with the narrow gauge loco pulling the standard stock from the adjacent line.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
...... narrow gauge loco pulling the standard stock from the adjacent line.

Its amazing what a 25 tonne (breaking strain) wire rope can pull - at least 400 tonnes rolling!

Nice modelling James - followed your thread but kept quiet (don't know enough about the subject) - well done:clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for sharing that video Tim, I'd not seen that one - I won't be installing a standard gauge interchange on the current EJ&KLR, but if I do another railway in the future I'll consider it - then I'll build a batch of these roll-wagens, and change some of the construction methods to improve repeatability and usability. i'd probably look to see how much could be made in metal to improve the road holding of the wagon and allow more 'playability' with the option to load and un-load.

As it is this model is one that will be purely cosmetic, and be happy to be towed around on the rear of trains :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I was watching an old VHS video I brought recently for 50p about the SBB Brunigbahn. This was around the time SBB was changing from green to a red livery, and the latest Ge4/4II were coming into service.

There were lots of rollwagons with loads all along the line from Luzern south towards Giswil, where the first section of rack working begins. And I also saw some on the section of railway from Meiringen to Interlaken; again this is a flat section of line with no rack.

I wouldn't have expected these wagons to be fitted with pinions though, and I certainly didn't see any rollwagons on the Brunig Pass. Not sure if freight traffic like this still exists on the now Zentralbahn, but I saw a few on the RhB carrying Cement trucks when I was there a couple of years ago....

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've not done much work on my G scale projects for a week or so, spending what little modelling time I've found fiddling with tiny bits of plastic on my 009 Schoema diesel kit.
So this evening I was determined to make some real and visible progress on my roll-wagen project. I decided to start with fabricating the locking chocks. These are two pieces of 60 thou plasticard glued to a chock made from 120thou plasticard, all glued permanently into position as this wagon is not envisaged to be a working model, so robustness is more important.

photo%2B1-773938.JPG

Once these were in position I decided to do something about the white rimmed wheels on the OBB standard gauge wagon I have as a load. These were cleaned up by scraping the white rim off, then sprayed with rattle can Matt black. Some scraped off when fitting but since I have some other details to touch up that's no problem.

The wagon looked much better but just felt naked without it's brakes do these were carved off the LGB pivoting plates and superglued into position, trying to get some contact with the wheel to suggest they have been applied.

So all in a productive evening's modelling. I'm looking forward to the finishing details on the roll-wagen now so I can get it painted!

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
My Dad started building a couple of rollwagens a couple of years ago using LGB rail instead of plasticard. Harder to work with but more rigid. He used the LGB Feldbahn wheels (six axles as per Austrian prototypes .... the German rollwagens seem to only have four axles) but because the LGB locos are gauged to a representative metre gauge instead of 760mm, he decided to gauge the standard gauge to 83mm instead of the more usual 64mm. As the LGB standard gauge wagons still looked far too small and the GRS British outline models were gauged to 64mm, the project was shelved until a suitable wagon could be found. With hindsight, he should've gone for 64mm gauge but he insisted that the rollwagen be almost double the gauge of the narrow gauge (as it actually is) and 64mm just isn't wide enough.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Vanessa that's really interesting - how did he get on? Any photos? LGB track rail section didn't seem deep enough for me, although I did look to see if I get brass I beam in the size I needed - in the end the plastic option was not only easy to work with, readily available and cheap - but also matched EXACTLY the dimensions I was working to in 1:22.

There were some 4 axle versions in Austria - according to the book Schmalspurig durch Osterreich - which includes drawings, that were used as the basis for this model.

I chose to not worry about the LGB track gauge being wrong, as most of the Austrian outline stock is roughly 1:20-1:22nd, so the gauge is just wrong. Making the gauge 83mm would make the engines look too small. It's all comprimises and balances in the garden, but I hope the overall impact will be ok. It's starting to come together for me, onto the home straight with the detailing work prior to painting :)

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
You are right, the loco is around 1:22.5 scale - it is just the track gauge that is wrong, but a G scale 2095 running on correct 0 gauge track just wouldn't look right (even though it would be). LGB 45mm track if scaled to 760mm gauge would be around 1:17 scale so loco would need to be upscaled to suit.
64mm for the rollwagen is therefore better than 83mm which is why Dad's project got shelved.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Paul - definitely!
Vanessa - you're right, a 2095 on SM32 track would look silly, despite being closer to scale, I think we're all too use to looking past the track gauge when working with LGB with mixed gauge prototypes!