Gauge 1 on a Budget!

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there from Lancashire UK, another newbie here! I'm here because although I model in 10mm scale Gauge 1, I use G scale chassis and components as a power basis and make my own standard gauge locos and stock, as I'm on a budget.
I have an indoor layout with some scenery, bearing in mind the constraints of space, and have found it very rewarding. I've always preferred larger scale model trains, and have previously modelled in Gauge 1, O Gauge, and even G64 (motorised 2.5 inch gauge).
For example, my first present loco was an ex LMS 2P, plastikard body with metal fittings, with a motorised tender, using a 4 wheeled playmobil motorised chassis with a matching 3rd axle and wheels. The larger loco driving wheels were from a Steaming Mary loco. I also have a 4F, utilizing an identical tender, and Bachmann Big Hauler 51mm wheels for the loco.
I have other locos and rolling stock in gauge 1, all running on Peco G scale track to allow for the larger wheel flanges and smaller radius curves than normally used in Gauge 1, ie 1 metre ninimum. Now I've said hello, I hope to be giving some more detail and photos of my efforts soon, and wondered if any others on this forum have considered doing the same.

Regards,

David

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent. Welcome to another indoor G scale fan! Looking forward to the photos.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello David, welcome to the Forum.
We have another modeller who produces similar.

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum David.

it would be interesting to see your Playmo conversions....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum David. Just beware of the dodgy humour

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your replies and swift responses in such a short time. As a new boy I clearly need to get my act together on this forum, but in the meantime here are a few snaps of my British Railways standard gauge 10mm to the foot locos with scratchbuilt bodies on G scale chassis and power bogies.

For starters I've shown (hopefully) my 2P 4-4-0 no 40632 (based at Hellifield), and 4F no 43897 ( based at Lower Darwen, Blackburn). There are several others, all based on locos known in the Lancs area.

I wanted to create a large scale indoor layout with a local flavour as I remember in the early 60's, East Lancashire was one of the last areas in the UK to run steam right up until the end in Aug 1968. If any G scale modellers want to run British Outline steam, albeit to a smaller scale, this could be a way forward.

I build them to a basic standard firstly, but make sure they are dimensionally correct and run well around my 20 foot oval layout. IMG_7151.JPGIMG_7152.JPGIMG_7155.JPGIMG_7158.JPG

Providing they download successfully I'll do some more if there's interest!

David

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive! I ve gone down a bit of a rabbit hole building standard gauge British locos (1/24ish) that run on 45mm track. I use mainly Bachmann mechanisms.
I have down scaled US based models to 1/29 which seems to be commercial gauge1 in the USA.
Below are some images one of a Big Hauler reduced to 1/29 ish followed by some of the UK based models that run on what is admittedly narrow gauge track.
I sometimes think I should have done what you have .
48B45EFB-603F-4882-9707-CDCACF48E76F.jpeg46414B9A-3A2F-4E3D-BAD7-C5EABEBD477C.jpeg87923DBD-E88C-4DE9-981F-4CFB3A271E0D.jpeg3FE89790-D881-46EF-ABD8-686F999945C5.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum David, I am a member of G1MRA and have a few items (1 loco 3 wagons), my wagons all bought cheep (sub £20 each) at shows. Though I prefer the finer standards I rather like the retro look of your work. Reminds me of early 0 gauge tinplate, that is not to decry your efforts. I always applaud building and converting to make something that pleases oneself, much of my line is somewhat crude in look but my need is to create a 1981 version of an East German Metre Gauge line. Your pictures of your line indeed represent very nicely a north west view of operations with an impressive array of rolling stock. Long may you enjoy your efforts.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
David welcome to the forum, though a different scale, there is a lot in common, so hopefully we can learn off each other. You have alrady been warned about the humour, and the photos are resplendent, so enjoy :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness of g scale central ...love it

BigScaleD

Registered
26 Apr 2023
Preston UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive! I ve gone down a bit of a rabbit hole building standard gauge British locos (1/24ish) that run on 45mm track. I use mainly Bachmann mechanisms.
I have down scaled US based models to 1/29 which seems to be commercial gauge1 in the USA.
Below are some images one of a Big Hauler reduced to 1/29 ish followed by some of the UK based models that run on what is admittedly narrow gauge track.
I sometimes think I should have done what you have .
View attachment 313967View attachment 313968View attachment 313969View attachment 313970
Hi there, thanks for your message, your locos do look the part. Very atmospheric! Are you based in USA? If so I believe at one time you could buy brand new Bachmann 6 coupled chassis direct from the factory. There are many British Outline standard gauge locos that could use this G scale chassis in 10mm scale. I've done an Ivatt 2-6-2 tank loco utilizing a second hand chassis. An Ivatt 2-6-0 Mogul tender loco is a distinct possibility!

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there, thanks for your message, your locos do look the part. Very atmospheric! Are you based in USA? If so I believe at one time you could buy brand new Bachmann 6 coupled chassis direct from the factory. There are many British Outline standard gauge locos that could use this G scale chassis in 10mm scale. I've done an Ivatt 2-6-2 tank loco utilizing a second hand chassis. An Ivatt 2-6-0 Mogul tender loco is a distinct possibility !
Hi , I’m UK based. You ll see on the top line of posts that there’s a flag indicating the originators country of residence.
I’ve used Bachmann parts USA quite a lot and also rely upon secondhand purchases too, bought often at G scale meets, as well E(vil)bay.
My particular addiction, UK based G scale model wise,started with making Bachmann’s Emily into something closer to a Stirling Single. I’ve just kept going on that (mistaken?) path.
I really like your 10mm models, and think your creative use of Bachmann and other mechanisms is excellent. I have thought, in the past, about starting to build a proper gauge one model, and bought a second hand Aristocraft US 1/29 scale Pacific, intending to use its chassis to build a Clan or Brit. However, my interest in American locos has stalled such inclinations.
I do agree that there are many applications you could put various G scale chassis and parts to in 10mm. Keep up the excellent work,and do post more images.