Revo DCC - this can't be how it works, can it?

DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
If anyone here is using the Revo DCC handset with more than one loco/receiver, can you advise whether this is correct. Because I'm more and more convinced it is....

I have Loco1 bound to the receiver in it with Rx Station ID 1
I have Loco2 bound to receiver in that with RX Station ID 2.

If I call up Loco1 on the handset and then want to move to Loco2, I can press T>> to tab to it.
Sure enough the loco cab and profile details will change to that of Loco2 but the RX Station ID doesnt!
This seems to defeat the whole point of switching between locos?

I'm order to switch control between locos, I must tab to the loco and then go to another menu and switch the RX station ID.

Mad or what? That can't be right, can it?

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Can't help on that one. I am using my Revo DCC receiver as a trackside DCC Central Station. So transmitter is only bound to one receiver with 12 DCC addresses (currently).
---Hutch

Reactions: DGE-Railroad
DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Can't help on that one. I am using my Revo DCC receiver as a trackside DCC Central Station. So transmitter is only bound to one receiver with 12 DCC addresses (currently).
---Hutch
Cheers Hutch, yep that seems to be the way it's designed to work without extra fiddling

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
You set up CABS, a cab can control 1-6 (if I remember right) locos... the multiple locos is how consisting is done.

You should set CAB1 to loco id1
Then set CAB2 to loco id2

Then you switch between CAB1 and CAB2

Kind of goofy, but this is how they set up multiple locos (consisting), and also you should never have to re-bind (set loco id) more than the first time.

I think "tab over" should switch between CABs not loco ids. I would guess you have two cabs hooked to the same loco.

Greg

Reactions: DGE-Railroad
DGE-Railroad

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
You set up CABS, a cab can control 1-6 (if I remember right) locos... the multiple locos is how consisting is done.

You should set CAB1 to loco id1
Then set CAB2 to loco id2

Then you switch between CAB1 and CAB2

Kind of goofy, but this is how they set up multiple locos (consisting), and also you should never have to re-bind (set loco id) more than the first time.

I think "tab over" should switch between CABs not loco ids. I would guess you have two cabs hooked to the same loco.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

Gotcha. Yes that's what I'm doing. Here are my Cab and Profile changing as I tab between them. Note though that the key communication parameter - the RX Station ID doesn't alter.
FB_IMG_1590305141410.jpg

FB_IMG_1590305149500.jpg

(Just to note - the bindings themselves are retained fine, as you'd expect)

I've spoken to Revolution and amazingly that seems to be the way it works. It's designed around a track-connected RX as Hutch has it; put the Rx in the loco and you will need to go in and change the RX id every time you want to change locos.

I might plead with Revo whether a menu option could be included to switch between mobile (throttle-to-loco) and static (throttle-to-track) receiver setups

That way if you operate like Hutch, you use the default of static Rx and it'd work as is.

If you operate like me and select mobile RX, every time you switch cabs, it'd change station ID too. That'd mean consist options don't work with this option, but they never could anyway.

Edit: JK mailed to say he's going to look at implementing both modes in a forthcoming firmware update. How's that for great customer service?!

Last edited: