Removing body from one of “those”coaches.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
At the NW GScale meeting at the weekend I took a fancy to a a rake of green and cream coaches (mobile chip shops)
This evening I sat myself down to dismantle and respray a couple of “those” coaches which have been sat sitting unused in the train shed for a couple of years.
Easy job preparatory to the respray.
Wrong!
I have done several previously without trauma but in this case the tiny screws holding the body to the frame, most of which were distorted in fitting and rock solid defied all my attempts to remove them.
If it had been confined to one or two I might have tried drilling them out but 14 out of 16 meant I lost interest.
Fortunately, I have several hundreds of yards of masking tape.
I may be gone some time. :-(

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are these screws like those on USA Trains loco's? - Made out of cheese! :mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I find you need to find a screwdriver that really fits the screw, then give a slight 'tighten' of the screw, before trying to undo it..
Keep screwdriver on axis of screw, and push down really firmly..

Works for me. - Well most of the time!

I have a left-handed drill-bit, though.. Just in case! :happy::nod::nod:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Are these screws like those on USA Trains loco's? - Made out of cheese! :mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I find you need to find a screwdriver that really fits the screw, then give a slight 'tighten' of the screw, before trying to undo it..
Keep screwdriver on axis of screw, and push down really firmly..

Works for me. - Well most of the time!

I have a left-handed drill-bit, though.. Just in case! :happy::nod::nod:

These sound very similar, I have a multitude of drivers but the screw heads are largely misshapes. Puzzles me how they got them in in the first place. Probably a Birmingham screwdriver. . . .

The railings came off the porches easily enough and so masking the remainder won’t be difficult.
I intend getting a couple more coaches to make up the rake.
I just wish that I had got my son to bring a few dozen more of Al Kramer’s wheels back with him when he worked in the USA. I need another 16 axles for these coaches alone.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
What are "those" coaches? Are you talking about Newqida?
I agree with PhilP PhilP regarding ways to tackle this. I have a set of cross head screwdrivers with varying diameters and pitches so I can usually find a good fit. As these are under the bodywork and not normally visible you could risk a drop of WD40?

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I had a rake of 'Train' tanker wagons plus one LGB tanker. For weathering I prefer to dismantle evrything, be it wagons, coaches or locos. No problem for the other stock but those 'Train' tankers had to be done as best as possible by brush with the final overall spraying done fitted together as usual. Yes, some technical terms in broad Derbyshire dialect were applied along with various tools (all except Mr Lumphammer - but it was close).

IAN_4356 crop.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
'Train' tankers had to be done as best as possible by brush with the final overall spraying done fitted together as usual. Yes, some technical terms in broad Derbyshire dialect were applied along with various tools (all except Mr Lumphammer - but it was close).
At least you straightened out the 'Mobil Oil' signwriting on those tankers.... :clap:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've been fortunate with mine so far. Resprayed or kitbashed 6 and all came apart without fuss luckily.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I made a Driving Van Trailer from one of those coaches, but I binned the rubbish screws and used something better.

The coach has been dismantled now, and the underframes re-used on another project....

8438631c0ae2413fbf8d87f20ca9d57e.jpg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I converted my two Newqida coaches, they were brand-new from CGR, but even so, every screw was a rusty travesty. I just turned the thing upside down, left a drop of Kroil on the heads overnight, and the next morning they practically fell out and straight into the trash. I replaced every one with brass - real brass - not the c**p that looks like brass.

Failing Kroil, which, I'm told, is not sold over here, any easing oil/penetrating oil will do - just remember to remove every trace afterwards - some oils attack plastic, especially the cheaper grades.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
Port Orford Coast RR - Eastern Sub

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
What are "those" coaches? Are you talking about Newqida?
I agree with PhilP PhilP regarding ways to tackle this. I have a set of cross head screwdrivers with varying diameters and pitches so I can usually find a good fit. As these are under the bodywork and not normally visible you could risk a drop of WD40?
Yes they are Newqida. My first lot were simple to dismantle but the screws in the current ones are almost all misshapes. I have stripped them to just body and base which is probably all I need to do to spray them.
image.jpg

Just in passing, can anyone identify this livery (below) I came across?
Whilst looking for green and cream stock.

4974D0AB-C8F7-477F-8F03-1E92D68D6205.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
At least you straightened out the 'Mobil Oil' signwriting on those tankers.... :clap:
That was just plain luck Gizzy, I bought them on eBay unseen but as said they were 'Train' and not 'NukeKiddo' so possibly made in a different factory. Still the same useless screws though, you know the ones that if you insist with the wrong tool they go:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they are Newqida. My first lot were simple to dismantle but the screws in the current ones are almost all misshapes. I have stripped them to just body and base which is probably all I need to do to spray them.

View attachment 234850

That orangey-brown coach is an old Rugen Island KleinBahn (RuKB) livery, representing (I think) a restored old-time coach.... it is one of the range of Newqida conversions/repaints offered by Zenner in Germany; they do everything from simple repaints to semi-scratchbuilds on NQ frames, I have one of their RuKB luggage vans which is beautifully done, with an all-new CNC milled styrene body sandwiched between the NQ chassis and a modified NQ roof.

Jon.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 234850

I think maybe the Rugen narrow gauge railway

germany-mecklenburg-west-pomerania-island-rgen-racing-roland-locomotive-D7GD5E.jpg

germany-mecklenburg-western-pomerania-baltic-sea-island-of-ruegen-BNKA6P.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think maybe the Rugen narrow gauge railway

germany-mecklenburg-west-pomerania-island-rgen-racing-roland-locomotive-D7GD5E.jpg

See my post No.12 above.... ;)

That's a very nice and useful pic, though - the wagon on the back of the train shown is the luggage van that I mentioned having got a model of ((though it currently appears in Zenner's range, mine came from Modellbau Uwe - who I THINK must be the actual builder of the items, since much of what he makes also appears in Zenner's lists).

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Moddell-bau make loads of kits marketed by others - including my bike wagon.
DSCF2191 (Small).JPG

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
My weapon of choice is a small phillips screw driver that popped out of a cracker one Christmas, I wonder which country it was made in :wondering: and as Philip says, tighten before undoing.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
My weapon of choice is a small phillips screw driver that popped out of a cracker one Christmas, I wonder which country it was made in :wondering: and as Philip says, tighten before undoing.
I think I have one of those with a clear handle, it has come in useful a few times but these screw heads are too distorted to shift.
In addition, the seats in the coaches appear to be glued in place rather than attached by screws and so I am having to work around them too.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Go on, you just know you want to >:)
impactdriver_114.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Lump hammer.