RC for Piko motor block. Hi all seeking advice again.

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a Piko 0-6-0 motor block from Topslots and I want to convert it to RC. They also sell the RC control unit used on their Circus Roncali starter set separately. I thought I might use the two together. Has anyone tried this before?
I assume you need to remove the pickup shoes, but do any of the wheelsets pick up track power as well? I will probably use unpowered track but it would be useful to know if I could run it in RC mode on powered track.
On the top of the block there are electrical pin connections. 2 marked M - motor? Also 2 marked S - shoes? Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks Steve M.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are wires that connect the wheel plungers but you need to be careful removing these as they are used for the single plugs (2) to the motor.

You may get some help from this thread converting my Piko 2-10-2

This is how I did my Piko 25 tonner

This is my 0-6-0 conversion.

bound to be some sort of pics in these showing wires and things.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
To the OP:
If you get really stuck.. Yell, and I will take mine apart, and photograph the process.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately, in the Piko 0-6-0 thread, no mention of steps to remove pickups or wiring for battery other than the charging socket.

Isn't there an active thread here that shows as Piko 0-6-0 with it's bottom cover off?

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately, in the Piko 0-6-0 thread, no mention of steps to remove pickups or wiring for battery other than the charging socket.

Isn't there an active thread here that shows as Piko 0-6-0 with it's bottom cover off?

Greg

Yes there is an image in the other current thread but it is the early version of the block with no ball bearings on the axles. The OP hasn't mentioned which one he has. :shake:
It's easy to tell because the early block has small evenly spaced wheels and going by what dunnyrail has just posted, the newer block may have plungers instead of wipers.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, that makes sense, I seem to have remembered there were brass wipers on the axles.

Greg
It begs the question of whether the wheels on the newer motor blocks are plated or not if they do indeed have plungers.
I think dunnyrail can answer that, as he said previously that he did a motor block changeover on his camel. One lump or two? I'm not sure. :D

Edit: The 0-6-0 doesn't have plungers. They must be on his other Piko engine mentioned above.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have updated my Red Loco thread to show the inside of the chassis.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you have plated wheels, and the plating is peeling.

I think this was the reason they changed to sintered wheels with not plating.

Still not a great track power solution, but he wants to know to convert for battery, and unfortunately, your picture shows the loco with all the track pickups removed.

do you have a picture with the bottom cover off but all the guts intact?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a Piko 0-6-0 motor block from Topslots and I want to convert it to RC. They also sell the RC control unit used on their Circus Roncali starter set separately. I thought I might use the two together. Has anyone tried this before?
I assume you need to remove the pickup shoes, but do any of the wheelsets pick up track power as well? I will probably use unpowered track but it would be useful to know if I could run it in RC mode on powered track.
On the top of the block there are electrical pin connections. 2 marked M - motor? Also 2 marked S - shoes? Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks Steve M.
Ok so you want it Battery RC and track power, entirely possible but need a “Double Pole Double Throw“ preferably with “Centre Off” as well switch to swop between the two.

Cant show you my Piko with pickups intact as they were removed for my battery conversion.

If going down the on-board battery route removal of skates and wheel plunger pickups will give you longer battery running time.

Ought to be possible to use RC on powered track, but would likely need a stable power supply not an Electronic type but experts on RC are likely to chip in on that.

Without doubt IMHO on-board the loco battery power would be a better bet.

My Piko 0-6-0 conversion has an 8aa NiMh pack and lasts 4-6 hours per charge.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I missed the dual use sentence, so sorry for my misunderstanding, so he will have to use a switch, and leave all the track pickup parts alone.

So, a bit more complexity to switch from track power to battery power, and I agree, need to be sure of how the r/c system would work with track power, if there are any issues with interruptions to the power supply. This would also mean you need to run a constant voltage on the track.

Normally there is very little if any advantage to doing this, unless it's ok to leave the track at a constant voltage (no other "normal DC" locos can run), and you get an R/C system that can handle brief dropouts.... and by the time you engineer all of this, it considerably more bother and expense and work.

And don't try to go down the "track recharges the battery" route, i.e. paralleling the track power with the battery. There's an entire raft of issues why that does not work. Just stating this if you were thinking in that direction.

I'd go pure battery with R/C, or normal track power, or DCC.

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I'd go pure battery with R/C, or normal track power, or DCC.

Greg
Greg, agree (I think this is twice now ;)) either battery R/C or track power DC/DCC, but mixing track with R/C would seem a no-no, though I know dunnyrail dunnyrail does battery R/C which is also DCC :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, agree (I think this is twice now ;)) either battery R/C or track power DC/DCC, but mixing track with R/C would seem a no-no, though I know dunnyrail dunnyrail does battery R/C which is also DCC :)
That is right Jimmy, the system uses a card that interfaces to DCC Chip giving most of the benefits of DCC but no track issues. I honestly cannot see the point of having a track powered Radio Control System that is not DCC or one that acts like a controller that is RC like the old Revo system that you used to use. There are other similar systems about.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have seen people want a "multi-power" system many times over the years, but the only time I have seen it work ok is with a loco that has lots of power pickups, and a "forgiving" R/C system.

I have seen battery/track powered systems that use a DCC decoder, that can be switched between RF control and track power, and the DCC decoder can be programmed (and most are) to accept a temporary interruption in signal (track power pickup glitches), but from a practical point of view, trying to have an "every power" loco has not been worth the compromises or eccentric behavior.

In my opinion, R/C systems are on the most part designed to depend on constant, uninterrupted power, and an 0-6-0 on track power outdoors is really not able to supply that. I believe that is the fundamental "philosophical" design hurdle.

Perhaps switching from R/C battery to "normal DC" operation would make sense, but then what have you gained really from an operational standpoint?

Anyway, sorry to beat this to death, but I've seen this "innocent" request many times, but not successfully realized very often.

Greg