dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have built an 0 gauge layout using Filcris Boards and it was a bit of a pain with the expansion. In fact contraction at night was the issue as we laid track during the day. That layout has been rebuilt using Eco Board which being a composite material and light coloured has nothing like the issues of expansion and contraction that any recycled decking board does. It comes in 8x4ft sheets so can be cut to curves etc. It does need a good support structure but wa laid it on the Filcris that had some Timber Decking boards laid underneath to stop sagging. Have to say this has proved very successful. Were I starting that line again I would use the Rco Board on a framework of any rough cut Timber that I could lay my hands on, wooden gravel boards appear to be about the best priced of such timber though larger size roofing slats would work just as well.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have built an 0 gauge layout using Filcris Boards and it was a bit of a pain with the expansion. In fact contraction at night was the issue as we laid track during the day. That layout has been rebuilt using Eco Board which being a composite material and light coloured has nothing like the issues of expansion and contraction that any recycled decking board does. It comes in 8x4ft sheets so can be cut to curves etc. It does need a good support structure but wa laid it on the Filcris that had some Timber Decking boards laid underneath to stop sagging. Have to say this has proved very successful. Were I starting that line again I would use the Rco Board on a framework of any rough cut Timber that I could lay my hands on, wooden gravel boards appear to be about the best priced of such timber though larger size roofing slats would work just as well.
Jon it would seem there are two Eco Boards out there, one hyphenated and one not, and quite different products:

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Looking more closely at the Filcris site About Filcris - Stockist of Recycled Plastic Wood, Timber, Lumber, Plank it would appear that they are essentially a distributor and fabricator of recycled plastic products - primarily for outdoor use. There are many other sources and brand names for this family of materials. I think Filcris's name became synonymous with the base materials they sold, much like Hoovers and Xerox's, in the garden railway community due to their focused sales efforts here in this niche market. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon it would seem there are two Eco Boards out there, one hyphenated and one not, and quite different products:

Hm does not look like either of them as I said the stuff that we got was Grey and certainly not bio-degradable like the first stuff is.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I looked at the Fillcris but went with Plastic decking boards from B&Q , 145mm wide 20mm thick 2000mm long ideal for my track bed.