Another new railway springs forth

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yet another new line springs into existence! I started planning the rebuild of this line a while ago, after the previous one was lost in the Great Garden Makeover of the noughties. The plan was to be simple:
  • Continuous running
  • Re-use of existing stock and track
  • Ground level as much as possible and minimum incline
  • Minimum impact on the garden as this was going to be a retrospective planning approval job, i.e. build it first and wait for the “if you must!”.
Initially I had planned to go from under the treehouse structure (long abandoned by the kids) on the left of the pic below, along the edge of the flower bed and down the garden under the trees towards the house/conservatory on the right. The red line would be at ground level and the the yellow loop would be about 9 inches above ground with a 4% grade.

A double track was impractical and wouldn’t suit the ‘one train at a time’ I was planning so I opted for a loop to loop.

1629211016648.jpeg

The planning officer wasn’t making the right noises so I opted to not run to the house for now and to put the yellow loop under the green laurel bush just beyond the flowerbed, with a view that I could extend the yellow loop later maybe. The bonus for now was it would all be at ground level and it is still a run of about 80 feet plus the loops.

Track bed was to be cut up old paving slabs set into the ground, edged by some lengths of Filcris conveniently left over from the garden work. Not sure how I had just enough left over, just lucky I guess.

I started by cutting the edging into the grass around the border to get the correct width and levels…

1629210795442.jpeg

and laid in the cut slabs which had the edging screwed to them.

1629210890277.jpeg 1629210897321.jpeg

All track is Peco flexi, but I decided to use set track for the tight curves of the loops.

1629210912917.jpeg 1629210920993.jpeg

I had a small truss bridge that was going to be used on the raised section of line but as this isn’t going to happen, at least for a while, I decided to use it in the main line running over a dry creek. This will be landscaped more once the line is up and running.

1629210954394.jpeg

Track was laid out…

1629210975516.jpeg

and cut, drilled and screwed to the slabs

1629210999927.jpeg

with some help!

1629211052565.jpeg

Finally it was ballasted with alpine grit, rescued from the garden makeover ,and pea shingle.

1629211080889.jpeg

As yet the second loop is not finished and I still have ballasting and ground work to complete but I have managed to do some essential testing of the reed switches and loops over what is laid already.

1629211133347.jpeg

Electrics:

Simple DC, one train at a time, so nothing complicated. I did (and do) consider battery but want to avoid the cost and hassle of changing existing locos and reuse the existing controller etc. and as all track is accessible I’m not concerned about cleaning.

Power comes from a Gaugemaster transformer, via an Aristocraft TE wireless controller mounted on a board that is kept indoors and taken out at the start of each session. An extension lead is run out to provide power. A bit of a pain, but no alternative at the minute.

1629211175458.jpeg

Polarity issues in the loops is managed by making the points into slip points, one way into and around the loop and out through the sprung point. Meanwhile a reed switch in the loop, activated by a magnet on each loco, reverses the polarity on the main line, via a home built module (details available via trainelectronics.com). Another reed in the other loop switches it back again. Power in the loops is kept flowing in the same direction by use of a bridge rectifier.

As stated before, the intention is simple running, sit and watch the trains with a beer/tea in hand, although I may add sidings later once the original plan is finished and the planning officer won over.

Lastly, as the stock I have is either ET&WNC or Ely Thomas, the line will be called “Ely Thomas & W**** Narrows Creek”. Still undecided what the W stands for, Wide, Wight, Wild or Windy maybe, the creek being under the bridge. Suggestions welcome.

1629211386341.jpeg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Windy narrows sort of flows off the tongue.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like you made a good start, and a man after my own heart. Some to watch whilst relaxing with a glass of something refreshing

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
Great start for your railway, they always start simple and small and somehow like magic, more track appears and the line gets bigger and bigger! I like your vision of watching the trains with a drink in hand, that's my idea of a garden railway!

Alan

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great start for your railway, they always start simple and small and somehow like magic, more track appears and the line gets bigger and bigger! I like your vision of watching the trains with a drink in hand, that's my idea of a garden railway!

Alan
Thanks all. This will likely stay simple. A siding or maybe the run towards the house at most. We are considering a retirement move in the next few years so I don't want to overdo it. After all, the bigger it is the more upkeep and less drinking time there is. Being a home brewer I have to balance these things carefully.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Second loop track laying completed and some obligatory testing carried out. Electrics all working fine and a train will happily go round and round all on its own.

I still need to ballast some track but I think more testing will also be required.