Privet?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The eBay deal just got a little sweater. The vendor has contacted me with an offer of more stuff at similar cost. Nice one! :clap::clap:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
At last today I got back to it. 5 more bags of concrete un-bagged, stirred, and fitted. After some shuttering was arranged of course. Not dry enough for any more digging ATM, still a quagmire.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Stump grubbing, G-force style!

View attachment 203292

They are a bit tight! No the 4ft scaffold pole hasn't bent, it's just moved the ground!!!!

View attachment 203293
Had the loan of one of these beasties for pulling out Shrubs when I started on my line. Fortunately at the time I had 3 mature Trees to tie it to. Boy do they save some effort when they work.

Trees have subsequently gone, 2 had the roots dug out with much swearing and other foul language when they started to sprout again. Still one root to dig out, but that one has not dared to sprout, presumably decided not to dare after all my cussing at the other two.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The saga continues. The Festivities not being the least of the delay. The weather since the turn of the year has made work on the slope down right dangerous so I had to wait for at least a couple of fully dry days for the ground to recover a little. Yesterday was the first suitable day to get a bit done and the corner post was next in line, Well not really, :think: next but one then! :rofl:

The problem was again the roots as was expected. Just not this big, and it not actually quite all there: -
Stump Grubbing (8) (600 x 450).jpg

It oof course went right across the centre of the hole, even with it removed it was more a case of get the hole in where it will go rather than exactly where it was wanted. It'll do, it's near enough, even for a perfectionist.
Stump Grubbing (9) (600 x 450).jpg

Anyway: corner post now planted. :sweating::sweating: Heavy beggar, especially single handed.
New Fence (2) (450 x 600).jpg

Onwards and upwards! One post to go!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
That post does appear to be a concrete answer.

David

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The saga continues. The Festivities not being the least of the delay. The weather since the turn of the year has made work on the slope down right dangerous so I had to wait for at least a couple of fully dry days for the ground to recover a little. Yesterday was the first suitable day to get a bit done and the corner post was next in line, Well not really, :think: next but one then! :rofl:

The problem was again the roots as was expected. Just not this big, and it not actually quite all there: -
View attachment 206830

It oof course went right across the centre of the hole, even with it removed it was more a case of get the hole in where it will go rather than exactly where it was wanted. It'll do, it's near enough, even for a perfectionist.
View attachment 206831

Anyway: corner post now planted. :sweating::sweating: Heavy beggar, especially single handed.
View attachment 206832

Onwards and upwards! One post to go!

Well, at least you are not stumped by all this:)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
More saga (that's the old folks Holidays innerit?). After getting all the posts and gravel boards set and the new panels extra treated. I planned to get them in last Friday, as there was to be no wind. Didn't happen; but today we managed to get two out of four in, before the wind beat us. Just the worst two left then!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
today we managed to get two out of four in, before the wind beat us

You know you don't have to suffer, there's stuff you can take to help with the wind problem....

David

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Already on it! Doesn't help much, six feet up a ladder!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Already on it! Doesn't help much, six feet up a ladder!

That's the problem!
You probably spilt most of it on the way up the ladder.. Just make sure you get the full dose! ;):rofl::rofl:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
State of play.

New Fence (4) (650 x 432).jpg

Still no one to give assistance with the last two panels. The only so-called Mate who might have been able to help is totally fritt of ladders, even one rung up. Hopeless!!!

I notice that I started this back in early October, and it still isn't finished!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is one serious post at the right-hand end of the run!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
That is one serious post at the right-hand end of the run!

14 ft tip to tip, home made, steel 100mm box section, galvanised.

It is vertical, it's the lens distortion pushing it off.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

The day is won!

DSC_0001 (600 x 399).jpg

Onwards now with the stockyard.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
They did indeedy Jon. Thanks again for your kind offer.

The best bit is, that the whole operation, start to finish, was carried out without damage to, or removal of the track. It did however show up some foundation problems on the top bend, which will need to be sorted before the Stock-yard points can go in (and before the new Garratt can be tested. I'm not risking that lump on wobbly track! :worried:).

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It did however show up some foundation problems on the top bend, which will need to be sorted before the Stock-yard points can go in (and before the new Garratt can be tested. I'm not risking that lump on wobbly track!

Yes.... you will need to get to the bottom of that....

David

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Some further progress with the stockyard.

Stockyard (18) (600 x 450).jpg

I felt I'd done enough and beer o'clock could be brought forward a bit. It is Saturday after all.