Privet?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Having been bequeathed a privet hedge (when I bought the house 23yrs ago) at some 12-15 ft tall at the high end, time has come for it to go. I'm not the sprite that used to swing off a ladder to cut it any more, and it was always a dangerous pastime anyway, due to the slope of the ground.

I have cut all the big bits off and have started grubbing out the stumps but it is severely entangled underground, and I'm absolutely certain I will not get it all out. I strongly suspect that it will spout again if just left. What is there to treat it with that will kill it off, or any other advice that might help with the task.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
let it spring up and develope a few leaves - then -
sbk.jpg
If you mix it with deisel, paraffin or heating oil, rather than water, it works much better

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I should perhaps of added that this has turned into a land grab, as it will release about 2' 6" (900mm) x 21' (6m) of space outside my existing mainline which I'm toying with turning into a 4 road goods yard. It's either that or I will be forced to move the mainline over, which will only add about 3ft to the length. I think I know which would be preferable. ;););)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Alan, I had wondered about just paraffin or diesel on it's own.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Stump grubbing, G-force style!

Stump Grubbing (1) (450 x 600).jpg

They are a bit tight! No the 4ft scaffold pole hasn't bent, it's just moved the ground!!!!

Stump Grubbing (2) (600 x 450).jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
try, if you get a weedkiller for leafy weeds named tordon.
mix it 1:1 with any mineraloil (old motoroil is best, because you see where it is applied already)
and pinsel it on the fresh cuts.
works best, if applied during the second half week after the full moon.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Your chances of pulling a privet hedge out from the root is, on a scale of 1 to 10 probably about -15.

Go with Alan (Stockers) suggestion, cut them down and paint the stumps with SBK.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Your chances of pulling a privet hedge out from the root is, on a scale of 1 to 10 probably about -15.

Go with Alan (Stockers) suggestion, cut them down and paint the stumps with SBK.

Unfortunately they have to come out, as much as possible; I need to get a solid fence in with double gravel boards. The slope as the bottom is about 25-30degs. The bit in the pic above is where it's starting to level out a bit, though it never really does. It's going to be dig, dig, dig, all the way.

This is what I've shifted today.

Stump Grubbing (3).jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Power to yer elbow :cool::cool::cool:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a job for a machine.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a job for a machine.

I agree, but see the post on what "what cant we get for our railways", no access. I'm not sure a mini digger could work on the slope anyway.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
When using anchor points like your pipe you always need to attach the wire at ground level. Law of levers apply here. Rather than looping the wire around and kinking it get something for the hook to grab, like a ring, shackle or tow rope.

I have to do this rather more often than I care for, when our 1/2 ton lawn mower gets stuck in a muddy patch. Normally, I try to find an existing anchor point, like a fence post or tree, but if all else fails I have a cheap boat anchor that I push into the lawn. Stand on it while pulling.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
There was only about 4" of pipe left showing. The other option is to belay the top to a second post behind. I'm only getting maximum of two or three pulls at each point as the angle changes so much, so far the 'belt and braces' hasn't been required. It does make getting the pole back out a lot easier. :D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You should have driven the pole in at 15 degrees from the vertical (pointing away from the hedge) and, as said, use a loop round the pole to get the load on it as near to the ground as possible..
If you can loosen the ground around the thing being pulled, and perhaps get the hawser around the base/roots, you might get more out..

Looks like a l-o-n-g job.. Keep at it!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The pole started at about 15degs . . . . . .

The difference in leverage at +4" instead of ground level, is virtually nil. The ground is mostly 'made', old railway embankment.

2/3s done. Little bites. Just need the weather to last, so I can dig the fence posts in and set the gravel boards. Might not happen this year.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure a mini digger could work on the slope anyway.

Phwoar, dunno. I've hired one with retractable tracks that will go through a 2' 6" opening (that's 750mm for Hartz fans) and can work in most positions and angles.

They have the benefit of being able to slew either on the cab pivot, or from the arm mounting point.

A mini-digger does it for me, where SWMBo's landy couldn't pull 'em out :rock::rock::rock::rock:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I get the point, it would also have to be able to work OVER the railway as that section is one peice 35ft long steel underframe so removal isn't really an option. Otherwise I'd have one in, in a blink!

No further progress as a certain other personage has taken hold of my diary. Watch the weather change the instant she lets go again. :cry:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Diary wrested from her grasp. :rock::rock: Three more pulled today, well this afternoon really, one a large beggar. :whew: Just another 8ft to go, mostly thin ones, about another 10-12 pulls I'd say. Then the hard work starts - digging the post holes.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Why don't you hire a post hole borer?