dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using this system for Signals and Points for some years now and would not go any other route due to the simplicity of setting it all up, ease of revisions and the convenience of Operation. I have on my system parts from Del-Air, Easy Air and from what apoears to be the only current supplier Sunset Valley Railroad.

https://www.sunsetvalleyrailroad.com/pneumatics.html

However Advertising Revenue for the forum is in part covered by Ads from another supplier of Pneumatics in UK this time, namely Festo at RS. However looking through some of the Parts Listed I was amazed at not just the stuff that can be obtained, but also the eye watering prices. Now I have not done a full scan through all of the products and in truth I am no expert. But if anyone with knowledge can perhaps link to some acceptable parts in the range in terms of price it might be of use to other members of the Forum. I am thinking of the following:-
Cylinder
Operating Levers
Piping
Electical detection
T Pieces for piping
Joining Pieces for Piping
All of the above have been available from the parts suppliers that I have listed (with the exception of Electrical Detection) and have been used thus far on my line.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, would piping and joining parts, 'T' pieces, etc. not be available from an Aquatics supplier?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, would piping and joining parts, 'T' pieces, etc. not be available from an Aquatics supplier?

Yes, but not sure if the parts referred to above will last better in the garden.. The clear aquatic air-pipe will go cloudy pretty quickly, and brittle in a couple of years, if unprotected I the garden..

It might eventually go porous?? But by then, a harsh-stare at it will cause it to break anyway!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
UV is the eventual enemy of almost all plastics, the question is are these better, or worse, than the other parts, and does the price compensate?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I agree that Pneumatics Control of Points and Signals works very reliably, and is what I use out in the garden.

The tubing used in all of these systems is 1/16 inch id (inside diameter). Any barbs labeled 1/16 inch id will fit. As usual there is a plethora of different metric and imperial standards for pneumatics connectors. Often converter pieces such as 10-32 to 1/16 are available. I used to have a list of alternative bits and pieces for these system but I seem to have lost it somewhere. It would probably be way out of date by now anyway. If I find it I will put something else here.

It would probably be easy to make up your own system from the mini pneumatics components that are available.

I seem to remember that many of the parts were available from Clippard.

Do they really sell tubing as small as 1/16 inch id in aquatics shops?

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I agree that Pneumatics Control of Points and Signals works very reliably, and is what I use out in the garden.

The tubing used in all of these systems is 1/16 inch id (inside diameter). Any barbs labeled 1/16 inch id will fit. As usual there is a plethora of different metric and imperial standards for pneumatics connectors. Often converter pieces such as 10-32 to 1/16 are available. I used to have a list of alternative bits and pieces for these system but I seem to have lost it somewhere. It would probably be way out of date by now anyway. If I find it I will put something else here.

It would probably be easy to make up your own system from the mini pneumatics components that are available.

I seem to remember that many of the parts were available from Clippard.

Do they really sell tubing as small as 1/16 inch id in aquatics shops?
Cliff many thanks Clippard do appear to have most if what is required. I even recognize some of the Quick Release Parts, some of whuch were given to me long ago before I even got into Air and Pneumatics. Sadly though USA located, was hoping for something UK based. I am not really in need of anything except it might be nice to have some odd Electronic Links to Air Points and Signals to give External Stuff some kind of indication in the Shed.
JonD

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Also check model aircraft supply shops for the various fittings and hose, It's used in under carriage retraction systems. Also in the auto industries for air control of heater and A/C units.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Clippard seems to be the right supplier. The stuff is small and light, so should not be too much shipping.

I've found some of the plastic fittings elsewhere, clippard seems to want to sell only metal fittings.

some helpful info on this page (it's a long page) http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?...erated-switches&catid=20:track&Itemid=116#who

Greg
Thanks Greg, that is a very useful page. I have bookmarked it. As I have been making my own arangements with Micro Switches for my Live Frog Modified Peco Points, it appears logical to use the same method for any other Electrical Requirements. Just put another Micro Switch onto the Point. Simples, why did I not think of that before I asked the question?

Still at least between us we have added some useful info for anyone that decides to go down this route.
JonD

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Anything Narrowgauge are now Uk agents for SSVR pneumatics stuff. Have a word with Simon Wenmouth there. Just got some extra bits for my set up from him a couple of months ago. Max

AndyA

Registered
28 Jun 2016
Swindon
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at Clippard's site they say that they can't supply via interent, but only through distributors. The West Group in Portsmouth seem to be their supplier although I have only made preliminary enquiries so far. I'm not sure which fitting is closest to the EZ Air 610 toggle, but Clippard are suggesting in a reply to my e-mail that it is their TV2-S or TV3-S valve.The West Group have the FBV series valve listed using 10/32 inlets and outlets for 1/16 ID tubing as EZ Air did but I am waiting to hear from them as to whether this is the nearest equivalent (and ,of course, price).

Mallarddriver

Registered
9 Apr 2012
Skipton,UK
Best answers
Hey there ,
I just use 2 syringes and a plastic hose to control points and signals .
Just pay 2,50 quid per point.

Best regards
Soeren

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hey there ,

Best regards
Soeren
Is that 2 syringes per point or 2 for the whole system?

Mallarddriver

Registered
9 Apr 2012
Skipton,UK
Best answers
Hello Paul,
2 syringes per point ,one beneath the point and one at the control unit.

Best regards
Soeren

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hey there ,

Best regards
Soeren
That appears to be a simple low budget way of doing the odd point or signal. But for my system it would never work out as I have a location where I can use a Shut Off Valve to lock in or out a Pannel so long distance walking up and down a very long station is reduced. However the Main Points and Signals are Operated from the Main Pannel when the slave is switched out. A pic of one of my Lever Frames that Operates my Alexisbad Station. 8 Points and a Remote Pannel with another 3 Points. Crossovers are worked by just 1 Lever with a T Piece to allow 2 Actuators to function.

Here you can see the Pannel with 6 Levers for the points and the other one which releases ate Remote Pannel by allowing Air to flow to it.
image.jpeg
Beneath the Panel can be seen the Air Lines that feed the Switches from a Splitting Barrell and the lines that go out to the Points. It looks more complex than is really is. This Panel was moved from one end of the Layout to the other in less than a Mornings Work. Electrical Operated Points would probably have taken me a couple of days.

The Electrical Wires are part of the system that I have with 2 Colour Lights. I realise now that I could make them Operate by Air using Micro Switches and an Actuator. Perhaps one day I will do this.
image.jpeg
My thread on the build of my Railway shows all of my Panels and gives details of how many points or signals are Operated by each panel.

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/a-new-railway-is-started.260103/page-9

Reactions: 1 users