Piko digital sound

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
A search of You-tube shows that few seem to use the stock Piko sound decoder. From appearances it seems to be a 'stock' Uhlenbrock 'h.o.' scale decoder with SUSI interface and larger speaker. Any comments on sound quality as these decoders seem relatively cheap?

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Hello,

The Piko decoders used to be Uhlenbrock's G-Scale decoder (77500, 3A now 5A), but are now provided by Massoth. The plug-in sound units are provided by Dietz (they used to be the MicroXS units, but they have now been replaced by the MicroX3 model). The sound units are also available from Uhlenbrock under their 'IntelliSound' label.

The sound quality of Dietz sound decoders is excellent and generally (together with Zimo) considered to be the 'gold standard' in terms of sound reproduction - I have a few myself. I cannot comment on the Uhlenbrock decoder, as I have never bought one.

Marc

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Marc,
many thanks. It seems that most Piko users seem to prefer Zimo or ESU, as regards You-tube postings.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Cliff,
many thanks. Dietz invented the SUSI cable, so I am surprised that the loco had minimal sound options in the linked posting. I found a Piko 260 diesel posting on You-tube and the sound was very unimpressive, lacking both sound volume and depth. It sounded more like a poorly sounding steam locomotive chuff than a throaty diesel. I believed that Dietz was top of the shelf for sound, but unsure now.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Hi Tim,

Dietz offers two levels of sound decoder: the micro series and the xclusive series. A micro series sound has less sounds than the xclusive series, but they both sound excellent - at least from my experience. Of course, you should also use a high quality speaker, for example Visaton, and avoid cheap and often ill-fitting speakers.

Marc