LGB 2080S Sound Repair

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see this when I search for my train model.

I just got a used LGB 2080S to run on my railroad as my first real, largish locomotive. After tightening a few bits that had worked loose in the post, it all seems to be running fine although (as the seller warned me) the sound is not working. I wasn't going to worry about the sound since I have an LGB sound car, but I'm really quite impressed with this locomotive and am wondering if it's worth taking apart and trying to get the sound working. Obviously I have no idea what's wrong inside, so it could be anything from a loose wire to blown electronics. So...

(1) Is the sound on these old LGB locos worth the hassle of repairing? As in, would a perfectly repaired/replaced sound unit be any better than the raspy sandpaper-like chuffing I get from my LGB sound car?

(2) Assuming it's worth trying to repair, are there any manuals / diagrams / instructions out there for opening this thing up and getting to the relevant bits? And sources for parts?

(3) Are there any other relatively easy and inexpensive alternatives for getting a chuffing sound on this loco? I use vanilla DC track power, and all I really want is a decent chuff (no fancy bells or whistles needed).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I had one of these and the sound stopped many many moons ago, from memory there is a small green electric bit that fits into 2 brass holes just seen above the front driving wheel in this picture.image.jpg
Also somewhere inside goes a 9v battery. So if either of these missing the sound is not likely to work, though on mine when I ran it the mechanical track powered bell used to work spasmodically.

Mine has been converted to battery power (all the original gubbins stripped out) and has a My Loco Sound (MLS) board in, one of these could work for you but you would not be able to manually call bells and whistles etc, but the MLS can be configured to make additional sounds say when starting up/ stopping etc. 4 chuffs to the wheel revolution also possible to achieve on setup. Its all in the MLS instructions but ge_rik ge_rik ‘s posts and blog a big help with MLS setup.

There is a tear down drawing (service manual) of this loco. Most other locs are also available there.

Reactions: 1 user

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The early 2080S locos was pretty basic and not really much better than the sound from the LGB "box car". It was impressive back in the day, but quite primitive compared to present day loco sound systems. Unless the problem is very simple one like an obvious broken wire, I would not waste time on trying to troubleshoot it.... just fit a modern sound product!IMG_5438.jpeg

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see this when I search for my train model.

I just got a used LGB 2080S to run on my railroad as my first real, largish locomotive. After tightening a few bits that had worked loose in the post, it all seems to be running fine although (as the seller warned me) the sound is not working. I wasn't going to worry about the sound since I have an LGB sound car, but I'm really quite impressed with this locomotive and am wondering if it's worth taking apart and trying to get the sound working. Obviously I have no idea what's wrong inside, so it could be anything from a loose wire to blown electronics. So...

(1) Is the sound on these old LGB locos worth the hassle of repairing? As in, would a perfectly repaired/replaced sound unit be any better than the raspy sandpaper-like chuffing I get from my LGB sound car?

(2) Assuming it's worth trying to repair, are there any manuals / diagrams / instructions out there for opening this thing up and getting to the relevant bits? And sources for parts?

(3) Are there any other relatively easy and inexpensive alternatives for getting a chuffing sound on this loco? I use vanilla DC track power, and all I really want is a decent chuff (no fancy bells or whistles needed).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
If you like sound, which enhances the enjoyment of the hobby, any LGB locomotive can be fitted with sound. The old analog sound board in your locomotive is the over 30 years old and they eventually will become defective depending on the amount of usage. A DCC/DC sound decoder can be installed to replace all the existing electronic boards but can become quite complicated to install, such as the Massoth XLS sound decoder. The easiest installation would be to use a Massoth DCC/DC S decoder or an LGB 65000 European Steam Sound Module.....both only require connecting the two wires to your locomotive's track power terminals. There are some other brands of DC analog sound modules that I don't have experience with that are also available at least here in the USA.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Do try a 9v. I believe its in the side water tank, under/ in a tool box , as I vaguely remember.
without the 9v it wont work, regardless of track voltage

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Do try a 9v. I believe its in the side water tank, under/ in a tool box , as I vaguely remember.
without the 9v it wont work, regardless of track voltage
Based upon my experience repairing LGB locomotives, the 9v. battery for these old analog sound boards was only used to supplement the power to the sound board since they require about 7 - 9 volts before activating. The locomotive will start moving with less voltage and the battery provides the power to activate the sound board at the same time. It also provides some seconds of power after the locomotive stops for the locomotive standing sounds. So, even without a battery, the sound board should work, so I suspect it's defective. The LGB locomotives I've repaired with non-operating sound boards, partially defective or fully defective, adding the battery didn't help........just my experience.

Bombastic

Registered
29 Jun 2023
Eagle Point, Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate the insights, thank you everyone!

Regarding the 9-volt battery, I see what I believe is the lid for that compartment (on the top of the right side, toward the front). It seems like it should open, but it's not opening easily and I'm reluctant to pry at it too hard. Is there a trick for getting that open?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate the insights, thank you everyone!

Regarding the 9-volt battery, I see what I believe is the lid for that compartment (on the top of the right side, toward the front). It seems like it should open, but it's not opening easily and I'm reluctant to pry at it too hard. Is there a trick for getting that open?
I've attached the LGB User Guide that includes your 2080 steamer.........check page 11 that shows the entire storage check comes off to expose the battery.

Attachments

• 2080S.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just showing my ignorance of LGB model history - could anyone please confirm that the LGB 23802 simply a slightly newer version of this loco?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just showing my ignorance of LGB model history - could anyone please confirm that the LGB 23802 simply a slightly newer version of this loco?
Inevitably there have been a few iterations of the loco, I have 2, the one that is used on my open days being a 2080s the other was a DCC ready one purchased x Glendale with a Dentz sound chip installed by Brian, that one not yet batteryfied. There have been some colour variations as well, with Green and a different lettered Black one.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Inevitably there have been a few iterations of the loco, I have 2, the one that is used on my open days being a 2080s the other was a DCC ready one purchased x Glendale with a Dentz sound chip installed by Brian, that one not yet batteryfied. There have been some colour variations as well, with Green and a different lettered Black one.
Thanks, chaps - asking because I've now got one on the way (online shopping after a beer festival is a risky business), to revive my smoking Skoda bash, and hope perhaps to recycle the innards for a future project.