Piko 35010 and lgb 50110

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
hello, my dad took the CS back last week to GRS and was tested and working fine with the Piko transformer.

DSC_0054.JPG

I have been sent a AC to DC converter from Neil Robinson and tested it with the LGB transformer with no luck.
Piko transformer it will have to be.

Rich

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Tryed a mates piko nav on my massoth set up..no problems..well it didn't set on fire..

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
hello, my dad took the CS back last week to GRS and was tested and working fine with the Piko transformer.

View attachment 217845

I have been sent a AC to DC converter from Neil Robinson and tested it with the LGB transformer with no luck.

Rich

Strange it does not work with DC from the LGB transformer..
Either the voltage is a tad to low, or just too noisy for the Piko unit. - I guess (from the size of the unit0 there is not a lot of power conditioning in the CS.

Am sad you will have to fork-out more money, but glad the CS has survived having AC put into it.

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The diodes (I expect its diodes) in the converter will knock off a couple of volts but I would have thought there should still be sufficient.

Handsomerob

Catching the fever
9 Feb 2015
Wawa
www.bobsbigtrains.com
Best answers
Hey, not sure if you got your power supply figured out but I took a picture of the power supply that came with my Piko CS, This is a USA unit but it's made in Taiwan. Not sure if it's common practice to sell CS's without power supplies there, but here everything comes with the power supplies.

Anyways output is 24V @ 5A as you can see in the picture.

View media item 1969

Last edited:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 217845

Rich

One question re the pic... which terminals on the LGB Transformer were you connecting to....

From the picture it looks like...

v v
B B W W
(this should show as the inner B and W)

if I recall you should be using....

v v
B B W W
(this should show as the left most B and W)
or

v v
B B W W
(this should show as the right most B and W)

Last edited:

Handsomerob

Catching the fever
9 Feb 2015
Wawa
www.bobsbigtrains.com
Best answers
So oddly enough after I posted the picture of my power adapter for the Central Station this morning I was welcomed by a Solid Red light! I inspected my setup, no faults found, I disconnected the power same deal, Red Light. I will be looking into this further as I can't believe that this Central Station would fail in such a coincidental way.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if it's common practice to sell CS's without power supplies there, but here everything comes with the power supplies.

European regulations changed a couple or so years back. Two regulations effect our power supplies. Toys and efficiency.

The toy regs. limit the power supply to 5 amps max. So the model train makers run scared because some of their models are toys. Quite possibly why the Marklin CS3 is limited to 5 amp. Non toy makers, Massoth for example, seem happy to provide higher amperages because they are not directly in the toy market.

The efficiency issue effectively banned transformers in favour of switching power supplies - the latter are significantly more efficient. I suppose when several million phones are on charge it makes a difference. I understand this is why Massoth changed the old 1200Z which had a built in transformer and introduced a separate power supply.

A cheap switching power supply may not switch at such a high frequency as a more expensive one - I wonder if this is contributing to the Red Light syndrome!

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 1986

As this has been more or less sorted, so for future reference: The PIKO Central Station is particularly fussy about voltage levels.

The H Bridge circuit will cut out if more than 22 volts is detected as an input voltage, hence the solid RED light, does not usually cause major damage, the "detect and sense voltage circuit" operates in milliseconds, which usually in all but exceptional cases prevents permanent damage to other circuits on the PCB.

Central stations purchased up to around 2014, were solidly built, from thence to the introduction of the upgraded PCB around the second half of 2016, they were somewhat indifferent in their reliability, quality control issues and cheaper lower quality components were often the reasons cited for failure.

For the inquisitive types, the casing contains an awful lot of "air" and very little in the gubbins department.

For transformers for more than 22 volts as the PIKO recommended one, a method will have to be used to reduce the output voltage down to 22 volts, either by using a "diode string" often used as a work round to reduce track voltages particular for those operating the smaller scales. Due to the PIKO amperage output, 5 amp diodes will have to be used.

Another method is to use a DC to DC step down converter, search for "buck converter" again a fairly heavy duty one will be needed.

For those who like to tinker, depending on the transformer, altering the DC taps to produce the required 22 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware if you are running anywhere near 5Amps, the diodes will get warm..

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I understand this is why Massoth changed the old 1200Z which had a built in transformer and introduced a separate power supply.

Correct.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Also easier for them to have a single CS for all countries, and source correctly compliant 'power supplies' for each market.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Sold the lgb amp and now use the piko supply. All working fine.

Handsomerob

Catching the fever
9 Feb 2015
Wawa
www.bobsbigtrains.com
Best answers
Glad all worked out for you, I am getting a new CS sent to me from Piko as when it was tested the power supply seemed to test out.