ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to doubt richand26mhz as the owner in posession of the box, but that rear panel photo definitely implies it's a DC output analogue controller not a DCC central station. Would be very worrying if Piko have indeed used the same panel and therefore incorrect markings? Could be an assembly error at the factory.

How about a photo of the rest of the box?

[edit] hmm... looking at those two shourtline links above I can see the central station does seem to indicate DCC waveform as well as DC output on it's rear panel. richand...'s panel sure looks like the one for the analogue controller going by those links. The two units are very similar looking, apart from one having a big red knob on the top! [/edit]

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to doubt richand26mhz as the owner in posession of the box, but that rear panel photo definitely implies it's a DC output analogue controller not a DCC central station. Would be very worrying if Piko have indeed used the same panel and therefore incorrect markings? Could be an assembly error at the factory.

How about a photo of the rest of the box?

[edit] hmm... looking at those two shourtline links above I can see the central station does seem to indicate DCC waveform as well as DC output on it's rear panel. richand...'s panel sure looks like the one for the analogue controller going by those links. The two units are very similar looking, apart from one having a big red knob on the top! [/edit]

Hmmm indeed.... yes, I'd missed spotting the little "DCC wave" symbol on the CS panel in the Shourtline pics, which is clearly absent from the OP's pic of his unit.

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I guess Piko have just evolved the product and the difference in those two piccys is coincidental.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Here you go. Its going back next week with my dad. I will keep you posted what happens.

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0030 (1).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One final question, before it goes back..

Have you powered it up without anything connected to the track output connections?

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
One final question, before it goes back..

Have you powered it up without anything connected to the track output connections?
Yes done both. track power/no track power, just a constant red light with no power to navigate or wireless.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was down at GRS today, and this was 'niggling' me so I investigated, asked in the shop, and spoke with Gaugemaster (who I believe are the UK distributor)...

Now, despite it saying AC and DC on the box, AND it having the 'AC/DC' symbol on the back.. There are two A5 pieces of paper in the example on the shelf at GRS. One in German, and one in English (see attached scan of a photocopy)..

It is not rocket-science to take thick-black marker to the box, of print a few sticky labels to put on things..
Gaugemaster checked their stock, and some items did not have the warnings in the box!

We can (at this stage) only hope the 'new' PCB's are robust enough to have survived having AC stuffed up-em! :rolleyes:

Could the original poster of this thread contact me for information to remedy this please?

Attachments

• Piko warning.PDF
    508 KB · Views: 76

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
..............We can (at this stage) only hope the 'new' PCB's are robust enough to have survived having AC stuffed up-em! :rolleyes:

Well, one of the items on the warning PDF does say "Damage does not occur by AC voltage or polarity", suggesting that it will survive this but simply won't work.....

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not to have changed the labelling on box and panel is very poor, normally expect the germans to be efficient at correcting this sort of thing. Still, at least the note says the AC won't damage the unit.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
What utter carp. Giving notice that it doesn't work on a little leaflet but the box and unit say it does.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not to have changed the labelling on box and panel is very poor, normally expect the germans to be efficient at correcting this sort of thing. Still, at least the note says the AC won't damage the unit.

I wonder if they are actually made / assembled in Germany?
Could be manufacture is outsourced??

I guess they would have a large stock of boxes printed with the wrong information??
Obviously, a recent-ish change, as the catalogues are wrong as well.. :rolleyes:

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hey. Thanks for helping me out Phil. I had a look in the box and no leaflets with that info on. It's going to GRS on Tuesday and will test with the Piko trasformer.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hey. Thanks for helping me out Phil. I had a look in the box and no leaflets with that info on. It's going to GRS on Tuesday and will test with the Piko trasformer.

You are welcome..
Just hope (as the leaflet says) it has survived.. I think this is a pretty poor effort on Piko's part. Product 'improvement', or not.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Wonder if Massoth have any involvement with the production of these units?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wonder if Massoth have any involvement with the production of these units?

YES.. They make them for Piko..

When you power the unit up, the 'Navigator' has a 'Piko by Massoth' message on it!!

Not sure if anyone has been brave enough to connect a Piko Nav to a Massoth CS, and vice-versa yet??

Perhaps a comment from Mark? (Muns).

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
..........Not sure if anyone has been brave enough to connect a Piko Nav to a Massoth CS, and vice-versa yet??.........

I asked a similar question a little while back, Phil, and I'm sure the answer was that they are both fully cross-compatible and either Navvy will work with either CS........

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I asked a similar question a little while back, Phil, and I'm sure the answer was that they are both fully cross-compatible and either Navvy will work with either CS........

Jon.

Thanks Jon..
That could be a little confusing, knowing the limitations of the Piko system..

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, cross compatible. I am sure I had the Piko Navi working with a MTS3 too.

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator: