dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a couple of months since I've run any trains - the spell of fine(r) weather has lured me out into the garden.

I hope you enjoy the outcome

Rik
Brilliant as always Rik, however at around 5 mins there is the ore train waiting to join the main line ‘as the up mixed arrives from Bickerton’ oh dear an accident waiting to happen! At the very least do you mind if I suggest that there should be a ’stop board’ on the Copper Mine Branch?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant as always Rik, however at around 5 mins there is the ore train waiting to join the main line ‘as the up mixed arrives from Bickerton’ oh dear an accident waiting to happen! At the very least do you mind if I suggest that there should be a ’stop board’ on the Copper Mine Branch?
By rights there should be a stop board and a telephone....
But this is 1932 in rural Cheshire so the driver usually waits until the station master at Bulkeley waves a green flag...... :wasntme:

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just to prove that live steam does sometimes make an appearance on PLR metals

Rik
Nice to see some live steam on your line, certainly Regner geared locs can be relied upon to give a nice steady run. No runaways and no cooked track! Marvelous.

Was that Zach of “how not to build a garden railway” fame?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Was that Zach of “how not to build a garden railway” fame?
Indeed it was - and also the Zach Bond of the 'momentum wagon' (a very cheap way of providing steam locos with a Slomo device)
Nice to see some live steam on your line, certainly Regner geared locs can be relied upon to give a nice steady run. No runaways and no cooked track!
My railway wasn't built with live steam traction in mind and so Zach reliably informs me that driving live steamers on it is a challenge, particularly for manually controlled live steam. A challenge which he seems to relish (this is his third visit all the way from East Anglia).

The great advantage of geared Regners is they are a lot easier to control over the gradients (deliberate and accidental) and the tight curves (circumstantial) on the PLR. It's a credit to Zach's capabilities and determination that he got his non Slomo Excelsior to negotiate the whole route in both directions with no stalls and (in the main) at a fairly realistic speed.

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I just picked up on the Clogher Valley railbus - and drooled all over the keyboard :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Totally enjoyable, as are all of your videos !

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just to prove that live steam does sometimes make an appearance on PLR metals

Rik
The passengers in the up ore train carriage seem very relaxed about the introduction of driverless trains on the service... :eek::D
Another inspirational video. If I tried anything similar you'd get to see fences, sheds, the cat, the house etc: the realistic stetting adds such a lot to your videos.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon
I don't suppose you have a drawing of a CDR luggage van by any chance?

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon
I don't suppose you have a drawing of a CDR luggage van by any chance?

Rik
I assume by this query you mean the so called “Red Vans”? Some of these came from the Castelderg line, they were opens and we’re fitted with Tarpaulin Bars and Canvas Covers numbered 3-9. More came from the Clogher Valley later and these were numbered 2 and 10-23. I assume it is more likely these to which you refer. When they show up in pictures with other vans they are clearly lower in overall height which is a bit of a give away for them. I have the CVR book but sadly no drawings in there or the County Donegal Companion that has many drawings of CDR wagons but not of the Red Vans which surprises me as they lasted pretty well to the end. I can send you a scan of some normal CD-R vans and other wagons if you like.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it was the red van I was after. I'll hang fire on the other van drawings for now. I'm up to my eyes in GVT stuff at the moment but I would like to try and rescale the luggage van as that would be a relatively quick and easy job.

Rik

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik - I just spent an enjoyable hour catching up on you videos. Thanks for the postings!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I think I've covered everything ..... unless of course I've missed the most obvious ....

Rik

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Re the non availability of HLW small flat cars, in Oz, Pamak Hobbies do have some reproduction [?] kits without wheels [plus other bits] in the Pre Loved section of the web site.