Beachtown and Seaport Harbour Railway at Kirkbean, July, 2022

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The 11th Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition finally took place this year after a two year gap because of "you know what". Diane and I went over with a layout based on the 2019 one but with slightly less track. I've posted the video here as all but four items of rolling stock were LGB, but the detailed photos I will post in the Playmobil sub-section of the General Large Scale Forum.

The layout represents a river estuary port on an indeterminate area of the Norfolk coast at an indeterminate time. Wiveton, Blakeney and Cley on the River Glaven in Norfolk are seen now as being just holiday resorts, but at one time they were major ports on the English coast. In medieval times, Blakeney and Cley were some of the busiest ports in England dealing in grain, malt, fish, spices, coal, cloth, barley and oats, but the increasing size of boats and ships, changes in the course of the River Glaven (sometimes man-made rather than natural) and silting up of the estuary meant their decline until they re-invented themselves as holiday destinations. Seaport loosely tries to draw on this idea of a river estuary port as these places might have been in different circumstances.

The sailing boats (converted Playmobil pirate ships, cloth sails courtesy of my wife, Diane), are meant to be Norfolk wherries.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Did I spy Henri, painting his house?
:D

PhilP

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice displays.
I like the flag on the locos, and the collision with poor lamp post...
Great job on the boat :clap:

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
The 11th Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition finally took place this year after a two year gap because of "you know what". Diane and I went over with a layout based on the 2019 one but with slightly less track. I've posted the video here as all but four items of rolling stock were LGB, but the detailed photos I will post in the Playmobil sub-section of the General Large Scale Forum.

The layout represents a river estuary port on an indeterminate area of the Norfolk coast at an indeterminate time. Wiveton, Blakeney and Cley on the River Glaven in Norfolk are seen now as being just holiday resorts, but at one time they were major ports on the English coast. In medieval times, Blakeney and Cley were some of the busiest ports in England dealing in grain, malt, fish, spices, coal, cloth, barley and oats, but the increasing size of boats and ships, changes in the course of the River Glaven (sometimes man-made rather than natural) and silting up of the estuary meant their decline until they re-invented themselves as holiday destinations. Seaport loosely tries to draw on this idea of a river estuary port as these places might have been in different circumstances.

The sailing boats (converted Playmobil pirate ships, cloth sails courtesy of my wife, Diane), are meant to be Norfolk wherries.

Brilliant. Playmobil stuff is so good. I am so pleased you are putting it all together and videoing it. It's a joy to watch, a giant colourful toy train set. I will visit on Youtube when I need to relax.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Playmobil is fantastic stuff, it's"play value" is brilliant

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag

interesting custom sails.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
interesting custom sails.
They were, made by my wife, Diane. She bought some stiff lining material at the haberdashers (it is used to back thin materials to make them stiffer or stronger or to things things such as shirt collars. She pencilled out the outline of the original Playmobil sail and then added about a 1/4 inch all round to it. She then folded the extra offer as a hem to stop the material fraying. Then, using the Playmobil sail as a guide, I punched holes in the sail so iut could be attached to the spar just as the Playmobil one was. Holes had also to be made to take a loop for the rigging on the sail; these were made with a small,. sharp modelling knife.