Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A follow up to last week's video

Rik
Very nice Rik, a little detail by the bone works. A fake phone box on a post may be nice even though the drivers rely on the horn when the inspector not present. Oh and a ‘stop wait for permission board’ no need to print it as not viewable from the camera angle or elsewhere? I really like how you show little bits of then and now in your vids.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That final move to put the loads back to the mine, have you thought about adding the brake to the rear of the empties or do you do some other complex manoeuvre to accomplish that?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Rik, a little detail by the bone works. A fake phone box on a post may be nice even though the drivers rely on the horn when the inspector not present. Oh and a ‘stop wait for permission board’ no need to print it as not viewable from the camera angle or elsewhere? I really like how you show little bits of then and now in your vids.
Thanks. I think you've mentioned this before. I will get around to it one day ..... ;)

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
That final move to put the loads back to the mine, have you thought about adding the brake to the rear of the empties or do you do some other complex manoeuvre to accomplish that?
Not particularly complex. I usually leave the brake van in a short siding just off the supposed interchange siding and then put it on to what will be the trailing end of the empties down train.

I think I have videoed this manoeuvre - I'll see if I can root it out.

Rik

PS - You can get the gist of it from this video - see 5m 15s in

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not particularly complex. I usually leave the brake van in a short siding just off the supposed interchange siding and then put it on to what will be the trailing end of the empties down train.

I think I have videoed this manoeuvre - I'll see if I can root it out.

Rik

PS - You can get the gist of it from this video - see 5m 15s in
Ah see it now, not shown in the recent Vid. Brill.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Another little whimsical offering from the PLR Studios. I hope some of you find it of interest

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks
With a spell of decent weather (in the North West our weather has been very changeable - lots of unpredictable showers), I was at long last able to run a full operating session. It took me three days to carry out one day's running of the railway (I had to retreat inside for a couple of hours or so each day to avoid the worst of the sun).

I hope this is of some interest.

Rik
PS - My apologies. I seem to have also accidentally posted this also on another thread.

Last edited:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
That's good to hear. I've always assumed that for many people, watching shunting operations is a bit like watching paint dry. That's why I decided to speed it up in some sections.

Rik
You have to do it for yourself and live in the moment. Shunting isn’t a spectator sport haha.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You have to do it for yourself and live in the moment. Shunting isn’t a spectator sport haha.
Aways like to see shunting when done with some obvious purpose as it is n Rik’s line.

A lot of the shunting you see on exhibition layouts is pretty aimless with often coal wagons empty being shunted into coal sidings or taken out loaded from the coal sidings. I have even seen coal wagons being shunted loaded into a goods shed by some clueless operator. All in the name of keeping something moving.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps. Freight management is a bit of a quirk for me. Not quite an obsession (though others may argue otherwise). I have no objection to seeing a bit of tail-chasing and sometimes indulge in it myself, but I think I'd quickly get bored if that's all I did with my railway.

I did once engage in a 'discussion' with a prominent garden railway practitioner who felt that realistic train operation was only appropriate for indoor railways and had no place out of doors. I also had a neighbour with an extensive H0 loft layout who couldn't abide shunting. He had a scenic section plus 'hidden' storage loops and enjoyed watching complete trains running past in random sequences. I also know of quite a few garden railway modellers who spend 90% of their time making models and only use their track for test running.

To my mind, it's really a case of doing what you enjoy in a way that gives you satisfaction. There's room in this hobby for all sort of interests, motivations and quirks - including mine ....... :wasntme:

Rik

PS I seem to recall seeing a post from a newbie on this forum many years ago who, after spending a year or so building a railway and getting it running posted a somewhat plaintive message saying..... "Is that it?"

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
There's room in this hobby for all sort of interests, motivations and quirks - including mine ....... :wasntme:

Rik
And that Rik, IS, the joy of the hobby, the variations on the theme :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps. Freight management is a bit of a quirk for me. Not quite an obsession (though others may argue otherwise). I have no objection to seeing a bit of tail-chasing and sometimes indulge in it myself, but I think I'd quickly get bored if that's all I did with my railway.

I did once engage in a 'discussion' with a prominent garden railway practitioner who felt that realistic train operation was only appropriate for indoor railways and had no place out of doors. I also had a neighbour with an extensive H0 loft layout who couldn't abide shunting. He had a scenic section plus 'hidden' storage loops and enjoyed watching complete trains running past in random sequences. I also know of quite a few garden railway modellers who spend 90% of their time making models and only use their track for test running.

To my mind, it's really a case of doing what you enjoy in a way that gives you satisfaction. There's room in this hobby for all sort of interests, motivations and quirks - including mine ....... :wasntme:

Rik

PS I seem to recall seeing a post from a newbie on this forum many years ago who, after spending a year or so building a railway and getting it running posted a somewhat plaintive message saying..... "Is that it?"
Amen Rik! The great thing about this hobby is the many facets you can embrace, and as your whims change, your area of participation can change.

So, I have techie friends and they first see it as "playing with trains", then I show them DCC, binary operations on CVs, consisting, and all the other computer-centric stuff, and they then appreciate it more. Many different sides.

I got a chuckle about the person who thought realistic train operation was only for indoor railways... did he propose to go to the prototype railroads to tell them what's what? I'm sure he was more focused on how our space is so much smaller than the prototype, but that is wrong, of course there are small local railways that have lots of activity, and the craziest access to industries for switching interest.

Greg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jim & Greg
By coincidence, I had two plumbers here yesterday servicing our CH boiler. They were fascinated by the railway in the garden so I showed them my latest video (well the first five minutes). They couldn't believe it was shot in the garden and kept checking out of the window to see if they could identify each scene. I don't think I've recruited a couple of converts, but what impressed them most was "It's just like the real thing" ......

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all
My latest video. This one outlines the eight categories I now use for deciding which wagons will go where on the railway when using the freight management program I've written on my trusty old Psion pocket computer. Unlike previous versions of my freight manager software, I've had to write this program so it would fit into the 1Mb of memory on the Psion - which was considered to be quite generous when the computer was made in 1993!

Rik

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The latest instalment of the line's history ....

Rik
Where did you say you posted the upscaled files for the GVT rolling stock?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
On the gardenrails.org forum in the 3D files section. You have to register on the forum to access them. There's a load of other downloadable 3D files on there. We ask for voluntary contributions towards the running of the forum which means we can run it without annoying adverts. Its entirely up to you if or what you contribute.

Rik

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
On the gardenrails.org forum in the 3D files section. You have to register on the forum to access them. There's a load of other downloadable 3D files on there. We ask for voluntary contributions towards the running of the forum which means we can run it without annoying adverts. Its entirely up to you if or what you contribute.

Rik
Thank you!