Mxion "Basic" Soundcard into RC loco, I wanted no bells or whistles and thats what i got.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted to add a simple and cheap soundcard to a couple of my smaller Electric locos, Lets face it electric locos really on the whole just Hummmmmmmm, and thats what i wanted so thought I would try out the Basic S soundcard from Mxion. I have done a short video so you can hear the sound below. I am using the analogue set up as this is for an RC loco (Piko keyfob RC) and its conected upto the ESC Direct so sound only works with direction power and is not graduated with the speed, but it does support DCC and Track power options.

power basic s.jpgBasic S.jpg
My only real issue was the power connections, (circled above), I discovered the grey connector was "Stucko" connector (2pin Wire to PCB)but could not find any of these for sale in the UK. so it ended up just being soldered with an old lgb connector. Overall Im really quite happy with what it does, Its very similar to my Dads old Roundhouse Diesel with its sperate Mtroniks sound box. The MD instructions dont give a lot of help with analogue set up but its all fairly clear.

Size: 40mm x 25mm
Sounds available: Steam(3x), Electric (1), Deisel (can be heard on the mxion site, link below). Pre determined and loded on purchase.
Connection: Main power via a Stucko connector (not been able to find in UK)
Outputs for: Mic, Volume, Clock (can be tied up a magnet to create a "chuff")
Price: to UK customers 25 Euros (£22ish)

BASIC (einfaches Soundmodul für analog/digital, bis zu 3 Zusatzsounds, Funktionen) - Soundauswahl - mXion Modellbahntechnik

https://micron-dynamics.de/sitecake-content/mXion BASIC.pdf

I have a couple of Mylosound (MLS) sound cards which are amazing, reliable and have all the bells and whistles and door slams and guards to boot !!! but i have a Alpine railway so most of the functions will not see the light of day on a simple little loco so its a waste. Also MLS card currently seams to be aimed at the UK and US market as Eurpean sound options (part from the Taurus) are limited.

Here is the Vid, forgive my commentry, I have had a tooth out and not drunk !!!! lol