Ox Mountain Railway

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
What puzzles me, it what that bright green stuff under the trailer is??………..I’m sure I have seen it before but not for months??
Dave

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
There are 25% more shades, but that would be a grey area!

Yesterday - the last day of August - ended on an annoying note (as I'll explain). I managed to secure all the new panels, fit new beading, test out the lights (just to make sure I'd got the last connection right) and all looking a lot better .......

The last panel location - the steelwork was bent there too. As I had little room to swing a cat (or my 14lb hammer) I made a wooden fillet to compensate for the bend.
Panelling (2).JPG

Fitted the beadings and put the last screws in the panels .....Panelling (4).JPG

Then I just tested the lights.....
Panelling (10).JPG

Panelling (5).JPG

So, after an afternoon cuppa, I thought I'd apply sealant where required, ready for painting. However, the usual adages about what thought did sprang to mind. I wanted to close the shutter (which is not fully closed in the above pic. I knew it was tight but thought that I could insert the scewdriver to slightly move it over a tiny bit. So, now the shutter is closed and the agle bead is distorted.

I know how to sort it but it means taking the shutter off, cutting and welding involved, then refit! Not sure I can handle the weight of taking it off and putting it back :banghead:

So that's it for now - sealing and painting is next on the agenda. I might wait until my son comes across in October to give me a lift!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A second of idiocy by the driver that bumped you has caused an awful lot of work.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A second of idiocy by the driver that bumped you has caused an awful lot of work.
That's a bit of an assumption, Jon - the idiot probably always drives like that, but hitherto has been lucky :think::think::think:

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Point of Inquiry, Mick. Is Ox Mountain the name of the railway in your garden or the one in the trailer? Or is the one in the trailer a portable branch of the one in the garden? Enquiring minds want to know.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Or something else entirely?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Or something else entirely?
The Ox Mountain Railway (in the garden) gave birth to the portable layout! I'm often asked was there such a railway in real life - to which I reply that there was a line (route surveyed) on the opposite side of the mountains but never built!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday, I managed to apply sealant in all the required places (apart from inside the wheel arch which needs the wheel removing to facilitate the work), For the bottom edge of the panelling (underneath) I used PU18 - sticks like proverbial to a blanket! For the rest of the sealing I used acrylic (it penetrates easier!).

Panelling (15).JPG
The solvent was used to clean my PVC work gloves of the PU18 - and I used the disposable gloves for applying the acrylic sealant (rubbing it in the tiny gaps).

Panelling (11).JPG

Panelling (14).JPG
The wheel arch beading is a piece of 6mm T&E cut on one side to slide over the plywood.

A pic of the damage I caused to the shutter I forcibly closed .....
Panelling (13).JPG

Later, in the afternoon, I primed/undercoated the wooden beading and screw heads (pics to follow)....

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So some more pics ......
Painting (2).JPG

The above pic is of yesterday's work - those below are of this morning's activities .......

Painting (5).JPG
Getting the wheel off!

Then coating the inside of the wheel arch with underseal.......
Painting (9).JPG

Painting (6).JPG

Painting (7).JPG
Then the wheel was back on by 9.00am!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do hope you weren't welding by all that straw/hay!? :eek::tmi:

PhilP

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
This morning, the weather looked better than the forecast so I decided I would pull the trailer out so I could open the shutter that needed attention!

I wanted to remove the pair of gas struts so it would be easier to take the shutter off when the trailer went back in the hay shed. However, once the gas struts were removed, the weather was still dry - so I decided to get the shutter off!

Shutters  (1).JPG
Before the hinge fastenings were undone, I used a fence post and a piece of timber to enable the shutter to be slid to the ground when the hinges were unfastened. So that worked OK, and I removed the damaged angle bead. Then I managed to put the shutter face down on the wheelbarrow to enable me to cut through the vertical box section so I could alter the width of the shutter by about 3mm. Once cut and the angle grinder dressed the cuts, it was time to weld the framework back together.

Still no rain, so I continued with the shutter, squaring up the damaged beading, dressing the edge of the plywood (which now stuck out the width of the cut) and then reinstated the beading. Things were looking good (so I thought) so the shutter was leant against the side of the trailer (no timber this time) and I tried to shove it into the rebate. That worked OK until the shutter came into contact with the dangling hinges. I couldn't hold the shutter up and lift the hinge at the same time! Then it rained, and rained! Soaked through, a change of clothing, and I asked herself if she'd give me a hand. She did, and with one of us at either end, it was possible for me to hook the hinges over the protruding bolts. From there onwards, things worked out OK and it wasn't too long before I had all secured!

Then I thought I might as well put the gas struts back in place - a reversal of the dismantling operation. Used two box section struts to keep the opened shutter in position ....
Shutters  (2).JPG

Then once the gas struts were refitted, out came the old struts.....
Shutters  (3).JPG

then it was a case of refitting the keeps for toggle catches, then close the shutter so I could reverse the trailer back into the hayshed.....

Shutters  (4).JPG
So now it needs a repaint after some sealant as been rubbed into the edge of the beading! The other two shutters need a bit of attention as well - but that's another day (and, hopefully, a dry one!)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Apart from work inside the trailer, I decided to slap on the red gloss paint on the replacement panels. I cleaned up a paint brush, got the Dulux out, and off to work I went ........

Painting (10).JPG
I have some cutting in to there - but it's easier to splodge the red in first and then tidy up with black! The trailer's ID plate (homemade like everything else) has to be screwed back on as well.

Painting (11).JPG

Painting (12).JPG
So, as can be seen, there's loads of touching up to do - marrying the old paintwork to the new!

Another thing I did yesterday was put all the boxes back inside to make things look as though the're back to normal! I used the car to ferry from the garage to the hay shed - now I can get back to clearing up the garage as well! Still have to test a train or two to make sure all is as it should be.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just finished a bit of touching up and sorting out the trailer ID plate cover. The latter is inkjet printed, then laminated, and a protective cover screwed on to the the trailer panel to protect it from water. That protection works fine but what it doesn't do is protect it from the sun. It started off black and white but is now turning brown! Over the years, I have to reprint it many times! .....
Painting (14).JPG

Painting (15).JPG

Now I have to pull the trailer out of the barn because I have to bring the hay in this afternoon (only forty bales - but my little trailer can only take twenty at a time!)