dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any oxidisation problems with the trailer layout - the wet wipes remove any crud (as can be seen) that develops over a period of six hours continuous running. Out in the garden is a different thing!
Oxidisation as you see is not the only problem with cruddy track. You are unlikely to get much oil in the trailer layout, more likely to be crud from Bachman Wheels that tend to use poor quality plating and plastic from any plastic wheels you may use in the trailer. LGB rubber will clean the track nicely during shows and you will not be collecting that much grease. I have used LGB cleaning blocks now since 1984 both indoors and out. Wearing out my first one about 2010. They always worked on getting my track back squeeky clean even though outside I occasionally ran live steam. So they work fine for me. But yes the only use now is on my Loft and Auto Railway, which scrub up nicely even with a possibly slightly oil incrusted cleaning block.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Oxidisation as you see is not the only problem with cruddy track. You are unlikely to get much oil in the trailer layout, more likely to be crud from Bachman Wheels that tend to use poor quality plating and plastic from any plastic wheels you may use in the trailer. LGB rubber will clean the track nicely during shows and you will not be collecting that much grease. I have used LGB cleaning blocks now since 1984 both indoors and out. Wearing out my first one about 2010. They always worked on getting my track back squeeky clean even though outside I occasionally ran live steam. So they work fine for me. But yes the only use now is on my Loft and Auto Railway, which scrub up nicely even with a possibly slightly oil incrusted cleaning block.

You've convinced me!roflmao.gif

I've now bought one off fleabay :D

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get some work done on a couple of trains yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and, of course, tested them on the garden line!

Just a couple of pics (or so) .....

Testing 19.06.22 (1).JPG

Testing 19.06.22 (4).JPG

Testing 19.06.22 (7).JPG

Testing 19.06.22 (10).JPG

Also managed to do some bodged repairs to my Sun Star Bedford OB (repair pic/s later!)

Seen here in the "village" ......
Ox Mountain Model Railway (7).JPG
....... in the original version of the trailer!

More to follow (probably)....

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I took a pic of the underside of the bus. Some time ago (2019) the front axle got smashed and I repaired it with a hot glue gun. However that only lasted for a short while and I have been unable to put on display in "village". This time, I've used superglue, and cut a piece of wood, glued to the axle beam and, when the bus is on display position it will be supported ......

Sun Star OB (1).JPG

So the trailer is now ready for off, and I have secured the logs with 4" woodscrew ......

Trailer Log Pile.JPG
(I've been forgetting to do the job since last August!).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Not done much to the garden (line or plants) but have run something this month .......

Scientific Loco  (3).JPG

Scientific Loco  (5).JPG
..... a toy loco!

But I have been running stuff on the trailer layout .......
Riverstown Agri (5).JPG
Riverstown - Sligo Agricultural Show 16.07.22

Although I do take my camera with me, it hardly ever comes out of the car! However, I managed to take a couple of pics in the vicinty of the trailer at Sunday's show (Tractor Club's Annual Field Day 17.07.22) ......

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (6).JPG

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (9).JPG

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (16).JPG
Freshly cooked on the hearth!

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (11).JPG

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (12).JPG
As it used to be!

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (13).JPG
Inside the shop next to the cottage!
Enniscoe 17.7.22 (14).JPG

The Bord Na Mona train ......

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (1).JPG

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (2).JPG

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (4).JPG

Some pics to follow later!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not done much to the garden (line or plants) but have run something this month .......

View attachment 301676

View attachment 301677
..... a toy loco!

But I have been running stuff on the trailer layout .......
View attachment 301678
Riverstown - Sligo Agricultural Show 16.07.22

Although I do take my camera with me, it hardly ever comes out of the car! However, I managed to take a couple of pics in the vicinty of the trailer at Sunday's show (Tractor Club's Annual Field Day 17.07.22) ......

View attachment 301679

View attachment 301681

View attachment 301682
Freshly cooked on the hearth!

View attachment 301683

View attachment 301684
As it used to be!

View attachment 301685
Inside the shop next to the cottage!
View attachment 301686

The Bord Na Mona train ......

View attachment 301688

View attachment 301689

View attachment 301690

Some pics to follow later!
Looks fun and a witch coven as well, I assume that was why the Spinning Wheels all present. Often linked with Witches in films of yor.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fun and a witch coven as well, I assume that was why the Spinning Wheels all present. Often linked with Witches in films of yor.
Naughty! They were giving demonstrations on spinning wool later in the day!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And just a couple, or so, pics .....

Enniscoe 17.7.22 (15).JPG
The bicycle was brand new (so the man said).
Enniscoe 17.7.22 (19).JPG
Enniscoe 17.7.22 (20).JPG

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just repaired my hat - had to resolder a wire!

A Peaky Blinder (1).JPG

....... and here's why!
A Peaky Blinder (2).JPG

My Peaky Blinder. I wear this at shows so I can see what I'm doing when attending to a faulty loco or item of stock!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from yesterday's Coffee Lounge thread, here's my take on the Bachmann front truck fitted to the Big Haulers.....

A pic of an improved BH ........
DSCF1105.JPG

..... here's some pics of its' pony truck ........
DSCF1102.JPG

The wires from the axle pick-ups sometimes cause problems .......
DSCF1103.JPG

.......... and very tight curves could result in this situation .......DSCF1104.JPG

I wrap pieces of sheet lead around - making sure that the lead is insulated from the contact strips in case they protrude above the plastic! There is a coil spring between the truck and the curved slot (the pick-up wires normally go through the spring.

Next is a pic of an improved truck ......
DSCF1106.JPG
...... as can be seen, it has a radius arm that would be connected to the chassis - giving it two pivot points. It is mainly of diecast construction, with plastic being mainly used for insulation/appearance purposes.......DSCF1107.JPG....... the underside view.

Clearly, a problem had been finally recognised and this truck was Bachmann's answer. Personally, I found it worse (on my trailer layout) than the original truck! C'est la Vie!

I haven't purchased anymore of these loco for a few years so I don't know of the current design in use. Whatever problems I have experienced, I still like these locos - the first one (Bumble Bee 177) I purchased in 2005 got me involved in G Scale trains!. I was building a tramway in G Scale in the garden when I saw the trainset, via the Internet, at Kent Garden Railwas. The rest is history as the saying goes!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah well, at least it proves that you've got it the right way round :p:p

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from yesterday's Coffee Lounge thread, here's my take on the Bachmann front truck fitted to the Big Haulers.....

View attachment 302355

View attachment 302356

View attachment 302357

.......... and very tight curves could result in this situation .......View attachment 302358

I wrap pieces of sheet lead around - making sure that the lead is insulated from the contact strips in case they protrude above the plastic! There is a coil spring between the truck and the curved slot (the pick-up wires normally go through the spring.

View attachment 302359
...... as can be seen, it has a radius arm that would be connected to the chassis - giving it two pivot points. It is mainly of diecast construction, with plastic being mainly used for insulation/appearance purposes.......View attachment 302360....... the underside view.

Clearly, a problem had been finally recognised and this truck was Bachmann's answer. Personally, I found it worse (on my trailer layout) than the original truck! C'est la Vie!

I haven't purchased anymore of these loco for a few years so I don't know of the current design in use. Whatever problems I have experienced, I still like these locos - the first one (Bumble Bee 177) I purchased in 2005 got me involved in G Scale trains!. I was building a tramway in G Scale in the garden when I saw the trainset, via the Internet, at Kent Garden Railwas. The rest is history as the saying goes!
As wide as the structure is on the new design, does it have problems on short radius curves?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
As wide as the structure is on the new design, does it have problems on short radius curves?
No - as it is the same wheelbase as the original design - but, on the other hand, the track has to be level. I don't have any locos with that double pivoted design (I fitted a replacement complete chassis).

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
No - as it is the same wheelbase as the original design - but, on the other hand, the track has to be level. I don't have any locos with that double pivoted design (I fitted a replacement complete chassis).
I was thinking it might interfere with the cylinders.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking it might interfere with the cylinders.
You may be right! My memory isn't good these days - but I remember it annoyed me!

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 302355

View attachment 302356

View attachment 302357

.......... and very tight curves could result in this situation .......View attachment 302358

View attachment 302359
...... as can be seen, it has a radius arm that would be connected to the chassis - giving it two pivot points. It is mainly of diecast construction, with plastic being mainly used for insulation/appearance purposes.......View attachment 302360....... the underside view.

I have problems with the truck, particularly where the gradient changes. It improved when I added some pieces of lead sheet but I think my issue is caused by the wires to the front lights, which catch on the truck's pivot and cause it to lift up and stay there. I'm fairly confident that moving said wires the next time I take it all apart will solve the problem.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Being none track powered, I had problems, as most of us do with the 10 wheeler, so extra weight, and all contacts removed from the pony truck seemed to work.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Being none track powered, I had problems, as most of us do with the 10 wheeler, so extra weight, and all contacts removed from the pony truck seemed to work.
Alas, I'm mostly track powered!