dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have problems with the truck, particularly where the gradient changes. It improved when I added some pieces of lead sheet but I think my issue is caused by the wires to the front lights, which catch on the truck's pivot and cause it to lift up and stay there. I'm fairly confident that moving said wires the next time I take it all apart will solve the problem.
Ah that‘l be when you batteryficate it!

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ah that‘l be when you batteryficate it!
You guessed! Yep, hopefully in the second batch, if I can get the hang of the conversion process. :wondering:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, Thursday (18th August, at 18.00hrs) was "Crash, bang, wallop" day. As I pulled away from Belmullet's "Heritage Day" goings on, I felt relieved that, within the next 1.1/2 hrs we would be home! Well that was what I thought! We all know what Thought did!
As I pulled up hill I was glad to get away from the crowds - but my thoughts altered when I saw a car pulling out from a line of other parked cars as I aproached the top of the incline. I swerved to the right but the offending car got wedged between my car and trailer!

No one was hurt in person but his car suffered a damaged wing and other damage to the engine, and other body parts forward of the driver's door!

As for my car - a crease of about 70mm near the backend of the wheelarch was all it suffered. The trailer was/is a different story!!!!!!

DSCF1123 - Copy.JPG

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Trailer Panelling Damage (1).JPG

Trailer Panelling Damage (4).JPG

Trailer Panelling Damage (2).JPG

Trailer Panelling Damage (3).JPG

Trailer Panelling Damage (5).JPG

Trailer Damage (3).JPG
In the pic immediately above, the framework seems to have distorted and, to get the shutter open, I had to force it with a heavy screwdriver at the opposite end because the shutter was jammed tight!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to those pics, Mick, you've put in a lot of work on your trailer over the years. Hopefully, the other driver's insurance will pay for repairs.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to those pics, Mick, you've put in a lot of work on your trailer over the years. Hopefully, the other driver's insurance will pay for repairs.
Hi Gordon. I haven't made a claim - I would have 300 euro excess to pay, my policy renewal cost would also go up - so far, the material cost of the repair has cost 55 (I might have to buy a box of wafer head screws to secure the panels fully). I'm hoping to get things completed by the end of this week apart from a top coat of paint!

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gordon. I haven't made a claim - I would have 300 euro excess to pay, my policy renewal cost would also go up - so far, the material cost of the repair has cost 55 (I might have to buy a box of wafer head screws to secure the panels fully). I'm hoping to get things completed by the end of this week apart from a top coat of paint!
If the other person has gone in to you, surely its their insurance you should be claiming against?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If the other person has gone in to you, surely its their insurance you should be claiming against?
But how would I make that claim? The trailer is a self-build - who would give an estimate for the repairs? Anybody else repairing it would probably want to dismantle the interior to gain access. My own Insurer gave me the options - but the adage "procrastination is the thief of time" rings loud and true.
I just want to get on with the job so I can do other things - need to clear the deck so I can get the hay in the barn {that's if my regular supplier has managed to save enough!) It is all stressful but I'm coping. At the moment I'm more worried about Covid and having to cancel special appointments.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Post deleted as Mick had already answered the point in #1390

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Plus many Insurances will go up as they are No Claim not No Blame.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Insurance on vehicles has changed quite significantly over the years, 50 years ago if you were fully comprehensive, your insurance would pay to fight for you, including repair/replacement, injuries and any personal liability. Now (bike accident in 2018), your insurance will go knock for knock, take your excess, and not fight the other parties insurance, you need to get your own (or pay extra on the insurance) to recover "uninsured loss", including your excess and and personal injury. I am amazed at what little your insurance company does for you, and if you happen to not loose your "no claims" (other party's fault), then the price of the policy goes up because you have had a no blame accident.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well - now for a bit of good news! Today's Covid test was negative! Hip, hip, hooray - medical appointments here I come!

Meanwhile, a few more pics ......

Framework Damage (1) .JPG

Framework Damage (2) .JPG

Framework Damage (4) .JPG

Repairs started ......

Repairs.JPG

The only way I could get the bent pieces straighter was to make a cut and then use big Enoch to bang the straight(ish). The Luddite conformer only weighs 14lb!. Once somewhere near (as in that'll do!) I splinted either side with metal and self-drilling hex screws!
Framework Damage (6) .JPG

Framework Damage (5) .JPG

More work done since then!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wish I had the ability to weld...
Rather than 'make lace' from solid metal.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Amazing what racks-up, as you are preparing lunch:
IMG_20220829_125041.jpg
One of the neighbouring railways..

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Well - now for a bit of good news! Today's Covid test was negative! Hip, hip, hooray - medical appointments here I come!

Meanwhile, a few more pics ......

View attachment 303489

View attachment 303490

View attachment 303491

Repairs started ......

View attachment 303492

The only way I could get the bent pieces straighter was to make a cut and then use big Enoch to bang the straight(ish). The Luddite conformer only weighs 14lb!. Once somewhere near (as in that'll do!) I splinted either side with metal and self-drilling hex screws!
View attachment 303493

View attachment 303494

More work done since then!
Go to it, Mick, you're winning!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But how would I make that claim? The trailer is a self-build - who would give an estimate for the repairs? Anybody else repairing it would probably want to dismantle the interior to gain access. My own Insurer gave me the options - but the adage "procrastination is the thief of time" rings loud and true.
I just want to get on with the job so I can do other things - need to clear the deck so I can get the hay in the barn {that's if my regular supplier has managed to save enough!) It is all stressful but I'm coping. At the moment I'm more worried about Covid and having to cancel special appointments.
Yep, I think we get where you are, but if you have the other bloke's address, there's probably a few volunteers who'd come over and pin him down while you hit him :punch::punch::punch::punch:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit more done (need to take some more pics) ......

Repairing  (1).JPG

Repairing  (2).JPG

Repairing  (3).JPG

Repairing (4).JPG

Wheel arch panel cut and drilled, and screwed into position (just side marker light to fit in place). Wheel arch box work also strengthened.

More tomorrow maybe (Shopping, doctor's, etc. in way!).

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag