dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of Bachmann Trams that have been modified into trailer cars, I originally did a much bigger piece on this in MAD days but that appears to be lost and as there appears to be some interest in what to do with older Bachmann Trams when there motor gives up the ghost……

First up is the Toast Rack, this has had the least amount of work to turn it into a trailer. The controllers were removed from each driving position for further use, one being used for a driving Van that would be in a pseudo Rack Train Consist. I have also done some work on the roof to allow destination indicators to be fitted. These reflect the former Ruschbahn where this set was used on a non visible Rack line appearing at the main Station during the schedule on a non-rack part of the journey. Underneath you can see how I fitted up lighting using sliding contacts wired to some 0 gauge Copper Clad sleeper strip. The diodes are to create a AC - DC power from DCC to the DC lamps.
AE18409C-3E7C-40E7-82A6-B1E9910D9F9B.jpeg935C3A56-855C-4E2C-BD70-74D7E5E84674.jpeg
Next is the Bogie Car, this was an enclosed Bachmann car that was hacked about some so was fitted to a shorty LGB USA Bogie Caboose chassis, if you look carefully at the side view you can see that the chassis has been lengthened to fit it so that the end balconies can be used. The body or old chassis as could be seen on the Toast Rack is an easy removal giving a simple basis for a revised Chassis arrangement. The second picture shows a USA Coach that uses the same chassis.
41FC3CE3-294F-4E27-8B05-1C9B4CCFA621.jpeg2B7B11EB-1252-4ED8-BD09-4E5FA4A1171A.jpeg
Underneath I have used LGB Ball Bearing wheels for the power pick up to light the car. The small box contains all the wiring and the same A—DC setup as the other car, the switch is in a more accessible place on this one.
BF060280-D563-4A99-B674-FFBF2192C338.jpeg
This shows a close up of the destination indicator setup. They can be removed with the return destinations on the other side or swopped out for differing destinations, as these lived on the Ruschbahn for a few years I made destination boards for my own line as well for if they would ever return. Sadly as Andy died they returned home earlier than expected.
10AC3EEC-7DEE-45A7-ABF1-9FACB167142F.jpeg
Both cars were sprayed up in LLB blue, they really should have had a two part livery but I faked out on that. Fortunately the windows on both cars were a simple removal to facilitate the spray job.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon.
Thanks very much for this. It is just what I wanted so I know what I can do with the tram I am expecting tomorrow. Great job.
Trevor

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
As Jon has started this posting to show recycled Bachmann trams I have added a few more pictures of my efforts. tram1 (Medium).jpgtram2 (Medium).jpgtram3 (Medium).jpg
The old body is on a chassis from a Big Hauler tender, the trucks are Newbright with Bachmann small wheels. This keeps the height of tram & trailer similar. The supply for the lights in the trailer are from the decoder on the tram. Note the tram has been remotored with a USAT mechanism.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Another trailer, this time an open toastrack. The top was bust as well as the mech. The controller was removed. The head light was a problem so I painted it red as a tail light. It is still awaiting a visit to the paint shop.tram4 (Medium).jpg

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
As Jon has started this posting to show recycled Bachmann trams I have added a few more pictures of my efforts. View attachment 290246View attachment 290247View attachment 290248
The old body is on a chassis from a Big Hauler tender, the trucks are Newbright with Bachmann small wheels. This keeps the height of tram & trailer similar. The supply for the lights in the trailer are from the decoder on the tram. Note the tram has been remotored with a USAT mechanism.
What are the origins of the trailer, is that a Bachmann tram with modified windows or is the body from something else?

David