Ox Mountain Railway

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Repainting looks great, Mick. All you have to do now is repaint the rest to match.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have to pull the trailer out of the barn because I have to bring the hay in this afternoon (only forty bales - but my little trailer can only take twenty at a time!)
Sounds like a load of old bales :nerd::nerd:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday was hardwork but I had the hay up on the loft by 5.30pm and the trailer inside by 6.00pm. ......

Trailer in the hay shed (10).JPG

...... and this morning I tested a train to make sure there was no damage to the layout!

Trailer in the hay shed (1).JPG
...... and all went OK. Just need to do some battery charging and the usual track cleaning and I will be ready (inside at least) for my last appearance of the year - Glenamaddy, first Sunday of October!

Will clean up, and touch up, the ouside of the trailer of course.

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Well done! Looks like a lot of hard grafting was applied

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Can't believe it's over 5 months since I posted on my thread!

Anyway, spring is on its' way say the daffys ......

19th Feb - daffys (1).JPG
...... but, whilst being occupied elsewhere, a recent inspection showed a number of problems on the railway system .....

Rot (1).JPG
I was aware of the problem above but the wind had an effect on it!

Other unfinished work requiring my attention .........

Rot (2).JPG

Rot (3).JPG
So pressure treated timber will have to be cut to size!

The most difficult repair will be on the return loop through the hedgerow by the stream .....
More rot (1).JPG
As can be seen, the timber supporting the loop on the stream side has given up its' support .....
More rot (2).JPG

More rot (3).JPG

My only problem is getting to the other side of the hedge and not falling in the stream! If I can't get to it, I have a plan B in mind. Just need the time to sort things out.

Reactions: 1 user

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
My only problem is getting to the other side of the hedge and not falling in the stream! If I can't get to it, I have a plan B in mind. Just need the time to sort things out.
There is always Plan C Mick.
Trevor
171110-jet-engine-power-suit-air-njs-213p.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I made up my mind this morning to get to the stream side of the loop. The sheep netting required cutting because I found it difficult to get through the hedge .....

Behind the hedge (1).JPG
Although I had managed to get one foot over it, the drop was too much to get the other over.....

Behind the hedge (3).JPG
So iI just cut two section's width and just below the decking. The wire ends are bent over to prevent getting cut!

Once over I forced my way to the loop and took some more pics ......
Behind the hedge (7).JPG

Behind the hedge (8).JPG
Total grot!

I managed to seperate the track from the hedge side of the loop and pulled it all through the hedge and laid it on the drive ....
Decay (1).JPG

Decay (2).JPG

I then wondered about Plan B ......

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Back into to the shed for some R1 curves and then laid them out ......

Plan B maybe.JPG
There really isn't much room other than for an R1 loop. So now I have two options; rebuild the R2 loop or go for the R1. I know which I prefer even if nearly all my stock will negotiate the R1s.

It was the plywood that rotted away even though I'd used torch-on felt to cover it. My thoughts are that I can make a new 'deck' out of Upvc material (which would see me out) with metal supports to hold everything together.

There are a number of trees blown down into the stream, so they need removing as a matter of course (but I will need my son's help when he comes over in two months time) but the timber (mainly around 5" diameter) won't get in my way doing a new loop. Meanwhile I have other things to do, so I'll put the R1's away and tidy up a little for now. Too much MS Word stuff to fight with at the momen!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Back into to the shed for some R1 curves and then laid them out ......

View attachment 310625
There really isn't much room other than for an R1 loop. So now I have two options; rebuild the R2 loop or go for the R1. I know which I prefer even if nearly all my stock will negotiate the R1s.

It was the plywood that rotted away even though I'd used torch-on felt to cover it. My thoughts are that I can make a new 'deck' out of Upvc material (which would see me out) with metal supports to hold everything together.

There are a number of trees blown down into the stream, so they need removing as a matter of course (but I will need my son's help when he comes over in two months time) but the timber (mainly around 5" diameter) won't get in my way doing a new loop. Meanwhile I have other things to do, so I'll put the R1's away and tidy up a little for now. Too much MS Word stuff to fight with at the momen!
Just a thought, have you thought about some simplification of your line using R2 curves only and perhaps single line only? Ok maybe less fun but on the basis of less to maintain and clean less can sometimes be more. You do have a lot on your plate with helping others, livestock etc.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, have you thought about some simplification of your line using R2 curves only and perhaps single line only? Ok maybe less fun but on the basis of less to maintain and clean less can sometimes be more. You do have a lot on your plate with helping others, livestock etc.
I've already rebuilt the 'straight' double track and if I converted it to single I would have polarity problems. Simple, for me, is to be able to set a train off and let it run! My main problem, with rotting wood, was using recycled timber that was not pressure treated and, of course it came back to haunt me! I'll get it right this time I hope!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've already rebuilt the 'straight' double track and if I converted it to single I would have polarity problems. Simple, for me, is to be able to set a train off and let it run! My main problem, with rotting wood, was using recycled timber that was not pressure treated and, of course it came back to haunt me! I'll get it right this time I hope!
How long has it been out there?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That particular location - just over 11 years!
Well it lasted pretty well then! If that was just standard wood, howling would pressure treated wod last? And TBH, how many of us don't change or alter their layouts every few years anyway?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well it lasted pretty well then! If that was just standard wood, howling would pressure treated wod last? And TBH, how many of us don't change or alter their layouts every few years anyway?
So I have some sections with pressure treated wood Gravel boards made into U shapes using 2 per length, 1 is cut in half to make the support. These were made by a friend in Hemel, he had them out for probably 5-10 years. Then they were on my line at Hemel 2000-2012 then put in here 2013-date and still going strong. They do have roofing felt on top which helps preserve them. At no time have they been touching the ground always being at least a foot or more above ground.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I used tanalised wood in my aviary, and in places where the wood was constantly wet for half the year e.g. on the ground, 10 years was the best I could get before having to replace it, though with an aviary you need to keep the maintenance up or risk loosing birds.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday (Saturday the 25th of March) was a sunny day. I had been thinking about how to fix the return loop and, after some thought, this is what I have come up with:-

Return Loop Rebuild (1) (Large).JPG
......upvc fascia board!

I had parked the rotted part of the loop to await my decision ......
Return Loop Rebuild (2) (Large).JPG
...... so out it came and into the garage!

Return Loop Rebuild (3) (Large).JPG
I made nine cardboard templates so I could cut and form the fascia board ....
Return Loop Rebuild (5) (Large).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (4) (Large).JPG

I know it seems a little crude but it works for me. The sections need joining together so I thought aluminium would do. My first joint was from a piece of off-cut ......
Return Loop Rebuild (6) (Large).JPG
I drilled the plate and then used self-tappers ....
Return Loop Rebuild (7) (Large).JPG
As can be seen, the screws are slightly too long! Obtaining off the shelf fastenings to suit my requirements is not easy over here, so It's eBay time I suppose!
Return Loop Rebuild (9).JPG
What it will look like once fastened together!

There's a firm at Wakefield. West Yorks, that I have purchased from before - and they have what I need! So, there might be some delay (over three weeks) before I get the screws I want!

PS I've resized the pictures and added the one immediately above!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
UPVC Facia is a great resource, easy to cut and has no problems with expansion / contraction worthy of mention. Well thought out solution Mick. If you have spare facia you could double up on the joins leaving the ally to strengthen the joints, save aging to wait for screws. I would put 4 or so each joint in the top as well if you go that way.