trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, after a search in my workshop, I found some screws (stainless) of the right size .....

Return Loop Rebuild (10).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (14).JPG
The top picture has plates on every joint - it just the sun was so bright!

Return Loop Rebuild (11).JPG
The outside edges are joined with some galvanised strapping secured (at the moment) with 5mm zinc plated roofing bolts. I have ordered some 5mm stainless steel flanged hexagon bolts which can be inserted at a later date!

So just need a dry day to get it all in position to sort out the supports (plastic pipe) before painting with a tar based paint!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot these two pictures (below)! Once all the nine sections were joined up, I had to see if the track still fitted as planned .....

Return Loop Rebuild (15).JPGReturn Loop Rebuild (16).JPG
..... and it did!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely job Mick, I would not have bothered with the stainless screws. Just some grease on the thread when putting in place. They nots will rust some helping to loose the shine somewhat. I have in the last few days pulled apart some rods that have been outside for quite a few years, the nuts eventually moved after some gentle persuasion, a couple of stubborn ones are maturing with some penetrating oil. Hopefully they will move when next attacked.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
UPVC Facia is a great resource, easy to cut and has no problems with expansion / contraction worthy of mention.
Not sure about that, Jon. Whether the cellular nature of some UPVC boards helps reduce the expansion, I don't know but, one of the college demos was to take a 1m length of UPVC gutter, fit caps each end, place on a plank with a fixed end stop, then pour in a kettle of boiling water and you could see the free end move - which is why you hear all that cracking on a summer day where houses have UPVC gutters.

In Mick's situation, expansion won't be an issue because of the curvature - there's room for the stuff to move, but UPVC has one of the highest co-efficients of expansion of all building materials

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure about that, Jon. Whether the cellular nature of some UPVC boards helps reduce the expansion, I don't know but, one of the college demos was to take a 1m length of UPVC gutter, fit caps each end, place on a plank with a fixed end stop, then pour in a kettle of boiling water and you could see the free end move - which is why you hear all that cracking on a summer day where houses have UPVC gutters.

In Mick;s situation, expansion won't be an issue because of the curvature - there's room for the stuff to move, but UPVC has one of the highest co-efficients of expansion of all building materials
We have had UPVC on Rushcbahn and my line in Hemel plus I think here somewhere and I have to say not a noticeable issue compared to Filcris recycled plastic. But as you say in trammayo trammayo situation should be no issue.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, yesterday afternoon, the winds had made the clouds scuttle away so it was quite warm. Taking advantage of this dry spell, I tried out the Upvc base in position ......

Return Loop Rebuild (17).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (19).JPG
So far, so good - but .......

Return Loop Rebuild (18).JPG
.... the arc of the final segment was out!

Although I had made everything fit the track laid out on the garage floor, and the track sections were connected to each other, there was some flexibility!

Now back in the garage, I just need to alter the angle of the final segment. After that, a final temporary fit into position before completing the base ready for painting!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well, yesterday afternoon, the winds had made the clouds scuttle away so it was quite warm. Taking advantage of this dry spell, I tried out the Upvc base in position ......

View attachment 311730

View attachment 311731

View attachment 311732

Although I had made everything fit the track laid out on the garage floor, and the track sections were connected to each other, there was some flexibility!

Now back in the garage, I just need to alter the angle of the final segment. After that, a final temporary fit into position before completing the base ready for painting!
Pretty good effort doing away from the spot Mick, just do not overdo the angle cut. Try a bit at a time!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 311730

View attachment 311731

View attachment 311732

Too much engineering and not enough bodging :mask: :mask:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Bodging might be just around the corner! However, it stopped raining at tea time yesterday so, after the evening meal (dinner), herself phoned her sister for an hour so I thought I'd attend to the self-created anomaly of too large a radius. I took two sections off and pruned each section before fastening the two pieces back together again and attaching them back on to the main portion. I managed to get the whole thing through the hedge, then went back to the garage for the track .....

Return Loop Rebuild (20).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (21).JPG
So I'm getting there! A couple more cuts required (one at each end), then it will be the job of attaching a protective edge on the inside of the arc - just in case there's a derailment! Then another try out in position and getting measurements for the supports!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've been busy working on the "loop" this past two days fitting a metal edge to the inner curve. The raised edges are there just in case there's a derailment (don't want to go fishing in the stream for an errant train!).

I knew that, somewhere I had some steel angle strips left over (as in throw nothing away) from the early days of the trailer. After a search round, I discovered them behind the greenhouse, where they had lain since 2013! It was a salvage really - when I rebuilt the trailer the roof edge steel beads were longer required!

Anyway, I had to clean up the angle beads and it was then that I realised there were three different profiles. Not to worry (I thought) get the Gilbow shears out! so here's some more pics .....

Return Loop Rebuild (22).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (24).JPG
I'd also trimmed the Upvc. Now it was time to try it into position again (yesterday):-

Return Loop Rebuild (25).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (26).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (28).JPG
So, that was a lot better! Now it needs a coat of paint - pics to follow!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And here they are (the pics!) .... (Edit - which I forgot to post yesterday:banghead:).

Return Loop Rebuild (30).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (33).JPG
Does the paint cover a multitude of sins?;)

...... and into position ......
Return Loop Rebuild (34).JPG

Return Loop Rebuild (35).JPG
Oh - there's the fall pipe awaiting a transition into support legs - which I started doing yesterday afternoon!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday, I finished off the support legs ......

Return loop Rebuild (37).JPG

Return loop Rebuild (38).JPG
I used a couple of plastic "Health Supplement" containers to cap off the top of the pipes (there were three containers but one dropped down the pipe - so need to fit a third one when the Cod Liver Oil capsules have been ingested. All that's needed now is a cosmetic clean up of the area. The main line also needs my attention when we get a couple of days dryness!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Earlier in the week, I dragged the trailer forward so I could fit a seal to the rear nearside shutter. With back-end ensconced under the hay loft and adjacent to the goats' stable it had to be done. I knew that rainy weather was ahead so I didn't want muddy ruts in the grass so I interrupted my efforts on the turning loop!

Trailer - getting Ready (2).JPG
Trailer - getting Ready (1).JPG

Need to put the solar panel on the trailer roof to recharge the batteries too (keep forgetting when I'm in the shed getting hay out or fetching a bucket of turf!). Also need to make some lettering to go on the replacement panelling (have a sheet of white vinyl - just need to cut the letters!). You might notice the red painted remains of the original panelling near the shed door!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Not been on my thread since the post above!

So I thought I'd post some pics of a remarkable motor vehicle that was parked on the grass next to me yesterday at the Lough Rynn Castle Hotel fair day .....

At Lough Rynn (9}.JPG
...... an American vehicle dating from1907!
At Lough Rynn (12).JPGAt Lough Rynn (13).JPG

At Lough Rynn (10).JPGAt Lough Rynn (11).JPG

At Lough Rynn (15).JPG

...... and the engine!
At Lough Rynn.JPG

I'd love to see it restored!

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not been on my thread since the post above!

So I thought I'd post some pics of a remarkable motor vehicle that was parked on the grass next to me yesterday at the Lough Rynn Castle Hotel fair day .....

...... an American vehicle dating from1907!

...... and the engine!

I'd love to see it restored!
This is no bull, My wife saw the the VERY same kit herself, She was at a wedding at Lough Rynn on Sat !!! flew back out of Knock this morning after visiting some relations in Charlestown and she told me about the fair when i picked her up at BHX ! small world.

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
This is no bull, My wife saw the the VERY same kit herself, She was at a wedding at Lough Rynn on Sat !!! flew back out of Knock this morning after visiting some relations in Charlestown and she told me about the fair when i picked her up at BHX ! small world.
It is a small world indeed!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've not done much on the line recently but have acquired a couple of items from eBay .......

Union Pacific Freight Car (2).JPG

LGB Boc Car (1).JPG

and, more importantly, a couple of items that I hope will benefit the line ......
LGB Bridges (4).JPG
So these need fitting in place - I wonder when I'll do that?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a dozen of the LGB Toy Train box vans. They are good but a bit rattly and the doors have a tendency to work open. I think the rattling is amplified by their light weight, so a bit of weight somewhere might be useful both for running characteristics and sound deadening.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to run a train yesterday (that makes a change for me!) .....

Oct 31 2023 (1) (Large).JPG

Oct 31 2023 (4) (Large).JPG
That's it for now.

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I swapped my Aristo 2-8-0 for the loco pictured above so that one is now in the trailer and the Aristo one is in the workshop.

Aristo 2-8-0 (4) (Large).JPGThe gears in the said loco sound as though they are in need of lubrication but there does not seem to be any easy access!
Aristo 2-8-0 (2).JPG
Can anybody suggest how to lubricate it?