Newcomer to LGB

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi forum members! I started my LGB collection only in summer 2016 so relatively new to it all. Analog at the moment but hoping to go digital shortly! Mark

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, you have picked the right place for information and lively banter.
JonD

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. Are you LGB too? I love the RHB stuff so decided to collect LGB.

Reactions: 1 user

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome.
I'd like to make a suggestion based on your mention of digital.
Once you have a couple of trains resist the temptation to increase rolling stock and concentrate on setting up a reasonably future proof DCC system.
It won't be cheap but neither is the cost of fitting decoders to a fair sized fleet of analogue locos.
Whichever brand of DCC system you go for I strongly recommend you obtain it from a dealer who is experienced with operating rather than just selling it.
Most, if not all, technical issues can be sorted on this forum but it's really good to have a dealer who recognises and accepts a problem and takes rapid appropriate action.

Here's a link to one such dealer.
http://www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/
No connection other than a satisfied customer

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil, Many thanks for your advice. At the moment I have the Wangerooge starter set (hoping to convert the diesel to digital in due course) and the DR Steam Locomotive, Road Number 99 5015 digital loco. I have some extra track (oval with siding and passing loop) and a couple of other items of rolling stock. There are two LGB locos I would particularly like (probably not difficult to guess which ones!) so am looking at the Massoth system. Not cheap but certainly looks impressive from the reviews and brief demo I have had.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I meant to say two RHB electric locos I would particularly like.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Mark!
If your budget allows, you won't regret going Massoth for your DCC - there are many other options out there as you've probably found, but the Dimax system is solid, reliable and powerful with a long proven track record (pun intended!).....
A few folks on here have gone with the new(ish) Marklin CS2/CS3 system, which is worth consideration if you're going to be buying mainly LGB locos with ready-fitted MFX decoders, but as a personal choice I'd still stick with the Massoth option.

Jon.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If your budget allows, you won't regret going Massoth for your DCC - there are many other options out there as you've probably found, but the Dimax system is solid, reliable and powerful with a long proven track record (pun intended!).....
A few folks on here have gone with the new(ish) Marklin CS2/CS3 system, which is worth consideration if you're going to be buying mainly LGB locos with ready-fitted MFX decoders, but as a personal choice I'd still stick with the Massoth option.

Jon.
Thanks Jon. Are there any downsides to the Massoth system? It's certainly not cheap but looks like a solid, future proof system.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. Are there any downsides to the Massoth system? It's certainly not cheap but looks like a solid, future proof system.

Well, it doesn't have the latest state-of-the-art flashy stuff like colour displays or touchscreens - just a good reliable controller (the Navigator) that has a nice big knob for speed and direction and push buttons for everything else.
It is reasonably "future proof" in that firmware upgrades are issued now and then, and until the hobby as a whole decides that DCC has had its day and a completely new standard should be introduced (it'll come, I'm sure...), then a Massoth system should keep up as well as any other. Their decoders may not be the very best you can get (for my money, that's probably Zimo at the moment) but they are generally easy to install and set up, and as they used to be the primary supplier for LGB (in the pre-Marklin days) then there is a high degree of compatibility with the older LGB kit - useful if you're going to be buying second-hand locos rather than brand new ones.

That is all IMHO of course, others have different opinions which I'm sure they will offer soon - there is no "right" system for everyone, but something out there will be right for you!

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Mark, No I am East German Prototypes but mostly LGB with some Train Line and others. My friend who has now passed on was Swiss NG based on but not quite RHB, but plenty of RHB Stock. This is a link to the former Railway that I helped build, sadly no more since he died in 2013.

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=94179

There are other bits and bobs on the line and on here, just search RUSCHBAHN and you should find them. Also plenty of vids on my Dunnyrail you tube link.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
A friend if mine has the Marklin CS3, have to say that I am not impressed with it. The use of Mobile Phones in the Garden in Sunny Weather being a particular problem, no such worries with my Massoth Radio Controlers. I have however used the extended range Radio Transmitters on the Massoth Handsets due to a longish Garden. Other than that I can fully recommend Massoth.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth decoders have recently gone through a soft(firm?)ware upgrade.. This mean that there are now supposedly more 'effects' you can do with lighting, and getting things to happen at certain times, or events..
We (well, 'I' certainly) are still getting to grips with these changes! - One, or two, 'well-known' CV's seem to have moved a bit. :banghead:

The only other 'funny' I have found recently, is that if you have the latest version of the sounds, but older firmware in the decoder, then things might not behave as you expect.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

There are several other manufacturers also making RhB stock, all fully compatible with LGB (though in some cases a little more expensive): KISS, Pullman (ESU), Trainline45 to name three of the bigger ones. OK, KISS is a LOT more expensive, but you do get lovely brass models! :rofl:

Personally I collect mainly German (DR, a mix of Harz and Saxon stock) and Austrian stock, I still have a few odd bits of Swiss including a slightly modified Heidi (the rear loco in my avatar pic) and a pair of coaches for her, which I just can't bring myself to part with.....

Jon (note there are several of us "Jons" on GSC, it gets a bit confusing sometimes.....) ;)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Mark. I'm not into the digital world, but as you can see, many here are. They are all excellent advisors and you will find that their advice will be top notch.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Mark. I'm not into the digital world, but as you can see, many here are. They are all excellent advisors and you will find that their advice will be top notch.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark, welcome to the mad house. I am all LGB and have been right from the start of LGB I run LGB on LGB track with EPL point motors and signals. I also use Massoth DCC with all the bells and whistles plus Computer control. If you use LGB new or second hand you won't go wrong. As a newcomer watch out for the Toy Train this is the cheaper system starting with a 9xxxxxx. It is good but watch out for the high prices on Ebay.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome here. two robust locos you have there. I also run Massoth - there is a lot of advice and feed back available here for it. But as other have said - there are many systems and most seem to work well - just make sure you get one suitable for our large scale locos - they can use far more power than the electric mice models.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There are several other manufacturers also making RhB stock, all fully compatible with LGB (though in some cases a little more expensive): KISS, Pullman (ESU), Trainline45 to name three of the bigger ones. OK, KISS is a LOT more expensive, but you do get lovely brass models! :rofl:

Personally I collect mainly German (DR, a mix of Harz and Saxon stock) and Austrian stock, I still have a few odd bits of Swiss including a slightly modified Heidi (the rear loco in my avatar pic) and a pair of coaches for her, which I just can't bring myself to part with.....

Jon (note there are several of us "Jons" on GSC, it gets a bit confusing sometimes.....) ;)
That is why I always sign myself as JonD, though sometimes the fpf hits i instead of o.
JonD

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for your advice. So, I think that the Massoth has it then...enough power for the Crocodile and GE 4/4 ii when they arrive :clap:...and hopefully some electric points and colour light signals over the coming years. I think I shall probably stick to LGB traction although as others have said there are alternative brands out there. The brass Crocodile by KISS is a little bit pricey for me for one loco...although the Allegra would also be on my wish list!:)Is Massoth easy to get started with? If you follow the instructions then you can't break the unit or the locos?!