Newcomer to LGB

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, cannot really go wrong with LGB, its what I got my start with in large scale thru a gift of a starter set from my aunt and uncles trip to Germany. Got my first real taste of live steam with an LGB/Aster Frank S. I have sense moved from track power(a major hassle outdoors) to onboard battery in my remaining 2 LGB engines(an old 2073d and one of the 2-4-0 starter set engines that pulls my special Austim Express). My main motive power is live steam now with an old Merlin Mayflower and for the moment a Roundhouse Argyll. You cannot really go wrong with LGB or the Massoth digital system if that is route you choose to go. I found it easier to put onboard batteries instead of dealing with keeping the rails clean and the joints conducting. Cheers Mike and Michele T

Reactions: 1 user

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike and Michele. Thanks for your advice. Well I've recently taken the plunge and bought an LGB GE 4/4 ii. Going to collect it from the shop soon. Now I just need the powerful controller to move it...!!!! :)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice loco - pictures please when you have got it.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
A belated welcome to the Forum Mark
Massoth digi system, yep you carn't go far wrong with that, I run LGB MTS III with a Massoth Navi, that is ampule enough.
Ho and there are some RhB fans on here as well (although I don't model it (yet)) in G scale.
Piccys, we likes plenty of piccys
Nice loco purchase a GE 4/4II, me faviorte leccys, he is a piccy I took at Chur a couple of years ago of a said loco...........
Swiss Tour 2014 253.jpg

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Steve. Yes, it's my favourite too of all the RhB electrics...well, perhaps joint top with the Crocodile! My GE 4/4 II is 613 in RhB red livery (no advertising). It will go very nicely with my first panoramic coach...also waiting to collect.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Alan - will definitely be posting a piccy of 613 when it arrives...coupled to my panoramic coach and baggage car :inlove:

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Does anybody have any experience of the LGB colour light signals?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Mark. I've used the RhB colour light signals for a while. What's your query?
Best wishes
Phil

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil. I was wondering how realistic they look. Also, is it easy to automate them with a passing train?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil. I was wondering how realistic they look. Also, is it easy to automate them with a passing train?
Ok - as my layout isn't a replica of anything in particular, I can't really comment on their realism. They look ok to me and are "in scale" with the mix of locos and rolling stock I run.
As regards automation, currently I have mine linked to points so that as the points are changed the signal indicates the appropriate Red / Green.
Other GSC members have more sophisticated set ups which use the passing of a locomotive to turn Green to Red and this is something I'm planning later this year.
Hope this helps

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Yes, sorry, by realism I just meant are they slender in design etc. - not thick pieces of plastic that look a bit too chunky for a G scale signal. Ah, interesting, how do you sync yours with points? I'm also interested as to how you'll be tackling your further automation later this year.

Mark

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Yes, sorry, by realism I just meant are they slender in design etc. - not thick pieces of plastic that look a bit too chunky for a G scale signal. Ah, interesting, how do you sync yours with points? I'm also interested as to how you'll be tackling your further automation later this year.

Mark
I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow so you can see how they look "in the flesh".
Sync'ing with points - there are several ways to do this, either via interconnecting signal and point motors or, if your system supports it, by programming an appropriate sequence of commands.

For example, I run Massoth DCC which allows programming the system to operate the points and signals in sequence as part of a "switch route". For me this had the advantage that no points /signals were hard wired together whilst I was working out where to position the signals and which colour they should display for a particular point direction.

It's also possible to use LGB supplementary switch that attaches to the point motor to trigger a signal.

So it's really a matter of personal preference which approach to pick. I'm sure other GSC members will chip in with views and advice based on what works for them.

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
Having had good comments from 2 electric tramway modellers about Digitrax, both of whom model trams in 1:24 scale, or .5 inch per foot, I then looked into the costs involved in radio control. It seemed then to be much more expensive than Digital control, but the cost of Radio control seems to be coming down all the time. Also the newer Lithium Ion batteries are becoming more popular than the Nickle Metal Hydryde ones, and as more people use them I guess the prices will come down also. As Australia imports nearly all of both Digital control systems and Radio Control ones, both are a bit "pricey" here.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Mark
Syncing with points is a tricky subject for someone who is concerned about realism of the design. Synking is OK if the point stops a signal being pulled off untill the route is set, but in the real thing they are not there to show that the point has been changed just that the route has been cleared and all necesary points with interlocking set. A somewhat different scenario, even though to all intents and pruposes it looks like to the observer that the signal does indeed reflect what th epoint has done.

Though I do accept that many model railways use signals in the wrong way to assist with running so that they can see what is happening with the point from a distance. Signalling is a complex process and does merit some research if you wish to do it right. There is plenty of information out on the net. The link below will give you information of the German way, somewhat similar to the Swiss way though there will be differences.

http://www.sh1.org/eisenbahn/index.htm

JonD

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Jon makes an excellent point (sorry!). I am in the camp of using signals to show if a point is set in a particular direction so I try to have 2 signals per point, and at any time one is green and the other red to show which way the points are currently set.

My use of the term "syncing" is simply to describe the process of a change in point direction also triggering a change in signal from Red to Green or vice versa. I guess a more accurate description of what I have is "linked operation".

From previous posts, I'm assuming you're going DCC rather than analog for your control system so you'll need a "switch decoder" (e.g. LGB item 55025, Massoth equivalent item 8156101) to which the motors that drive points and signals are connected. The decoder interprets the instructions from your DCC controller to set points / signals in a particular direction.

With this switch decoder in place, you then have options for achieving linked operation - e.g. you could both a point and a signal to the same outlet so they operate together, if you plump for Massoth as your control system you could create a "switch route" which, when activated, sends instructions sequentially to several points and signals. I have no in-depth experience of other DCC systems, but I imagine they offer similar features.

As always, the choice is largely down to you as it's your railway. Your decision how you want to operate it will influence how many signals, where they are located and the degree of alignment with full-size railway operating procedures you want to achieve. Other GSC members can then give you any specific advice you may need on how to implement your choices. I have benefited hugely from the collective knowledge on signalling and electronics to help me implement something that I initially thought I wouldn't be able to do.

Lastly, attached are a couple of photos I took just after installing some LGB signals on my layout. Hope all of the above helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0810 001.jpg
    IMG_0810 001.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 0

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's also possible to use LGB supplementary switch that attaches to the point motor to trigger a signal....
Which was the method I used on my last railway before I had to dismantle when moving home....

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everybody for the signalling advice. Lots to consider here before I start buying anything...

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark and welcome.......like you, I love RHB, so much so I have sold a lot of other LGB models to finance more RHB :)
As for going digital, I have just purchased a Massoth second hand system and can't wait to give it a test , even had a couple of new decoders in the deal.
YouTube is great for LGB/RHB videos.
You will love the forum....it's great.
Kev