Newcomer to LGB

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A fellow RHB fan...fantastic! :) Yes, I love watching all the LGB videos on YouTube. So many of them! What have you got so far in your collection Kev?

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of colour light signals,I've got one, and use it to indicate the polarity of the mainline track when exiting from a return loop.
Red, and you go over the insulated joint, whamo, short circuit...... green, all OK.
All done with just two diodes.

Reactions: 1 user

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
A fellow RHB fan...fantastic! :) Yes, I love watching all the LGB videos on YouTube. So many of them! What have you got so far in your collection Kev?

Lucky enough to have a few crocodiles, a baby croc, pullman set, a couple of Ge4/4, railbus, a few rack loco,s and some of the smaller pantograph loco,s. On saying that I bet your first bit of track hits the ground before mine......but I do intend to make a start this summer no matter what. The track plan is coming together thanks to the good old Anyrail 6 program and the land grab has been negotiated including the garage for a nice big fiddle yard :) My land grab was pretty easy really as my area has a fair slope so lots of digging out....but not too much....got to have some gradients for the rack loco,s.
Once I have enough items of interest regarding my railway I will start a thread.......trouble is I spend that much time reading the other threads on here before I know it the night has gone.......a right time machine. There are some amazing railways the lads have on here, and so much to learn.......cant wait to have my own bit of LGB RHB heaven :)
Kev

lgbmad

20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
One thing is for sure Mark.....the lads and lasses on here love lots and lots of eye candy.....of the Train kind I hasten to add.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

...very, and practical, too. I also use circuit breakers, rather than fuses. If I used fuses, I'd be forever replacing them, given the number of 'accidental' run throughs when 'others' are operating.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a VERY impressive collection of RHB stock Kev...VERY jealous!!!:)

lgbmad

20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a VERY impressive collection of RHB stock Kev...VERY jealous!!!:)
Hi Mark
The thing is I love collecting LGB ,but I found I was buying all sorts so in the end I had to decide to stick with RHB because my given area for the new railway is very sloped which naturally led me to the rack loco,s and then of course RHB. I got my first starter set while serving in the forces in Germany in 1976, but it was not a good gauge when you are moving around every few years so I went over to N gauge. Some years later the LGB bug bit again and the rest is history. The collection has been growing for a long while now, but I have had to sell a lot of non RHB stuff to finance some of the RHB. I did like a lot of people do at the start and got track as and when I could and started to stock pile as much as I could....but being on this forum made me realise reading the comments.......go rad 2 and above if you possibly can with regards to track. I had loads of rad 1's , so as and when I can I am getting rid of many and changing over to rad 2&3.
I never ever regret coming into the forum, there is so much info and advice to be had ( and a great bunch of people of course).....so I may be a late starter when it comes to actually getting that first bit of track down, but I would like to think I may be able to miss some of the shortfalls at the start having read so many articles and advice given on here.
Kev

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My new GE 4/4 ii complete with panoramic carriage. Very pleased! I don't have my LGB set up permanently at the moment, hence it is on a couple of double straights!!!:)

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. Am I correct in thinking that you only need the Dimax PC Module USB to change the address for LGB locos? Does this work for Massoth and LGB-fitted decoders? Thanks as always in advance.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. Am I correct in thinking that you only need the Dimax PC Module USB to change the address for LGB locos? Does this work for Massoth and LGB-fitted decoders? Thanks as always in advance.

You can use the PC module to change a loco address, but you do not need it for this..
Most (all?) Central Stations) have a programming track output, and you can connect a length of track to this and use your CS and throttle (Navigator if Massoth) to change the address.

You only really need the PC module for updating the firmware in a decoder, and loading soundfiles into them. - you can also update firmware in other Massoth devices, but let's start simple first!

HTH,
PhilP.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Much appreciated. I shall be collecting my Massoth Central Station and Navigator in a few weeks and wondered how to get around multiple locos with address 3...and now I know!!! Is it just me or are the Massoth instructions not always clear as to how to do things?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Much appreciated. I shall be collecting my Massoth Central Station and Navigator in a few weeks and wondered how to get around multiple locos with address 3...and now I know!!! Is it just me or are the Massoth instructions not always clear as to how to do things?

No it is not you! ;)

Let's see.. Massoth instructions.. :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:banghead::banghead::mad:

But the English translations can also raise a smile! :giggle::giggle:

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Haha I'm guessing that this topic has been discussed many times before on G Scale Central?! Massoth just seem to produce lots of different items but how they all fit together isn't always clear. Oh well, Central Station, Power Supply and Navigator should give me all I need for a while so that I can run my locos and rolling stock on a simple layout. Electric points, signals, etc. to follow once I've built up the basics. Lots of locos and rolling stock I'd still like to buy first!:)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
There are a lot of us on here running Massoth gear so help is at hand. Dont get frustrated by it - treat the learning curve as part of the hobby.And 'yes;, the instructions are a bit brief.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan. I am actually really enjoying the learning curve and seeing what can be achieved, even in the early stages. So long as my three (soon to be four) locos each have a different address then I'll be happy...easily pleased!:)

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan. I am actually really enjoying the learning curve and seeing what can be achieved, even in the early stages. So long as my three (soon to be four) locos each have a different address then I'll be happy...easily pleased!:)
Hi Mark

As a fellow Rhaetian fan and another Mark I thought I ought to add my welcome to that from the rest of the gang on here. I've been collecting RhB stuff for years, at one time I had every version of the Ge 4/4 III LGB produced but then it got too expensive to keep up. Recently disposed of three and then found that I still had eight... All are currently in store along with the rest of the collection having moved house, but I am aiming to start planning soon, with a temporary track to keep the interest going. The idea has always been to collect whilst funds were available, ready for eventual retirement when it comes, but semi-retirement is proving a longer term phase than anticipated.

Can't really add anything to all the sound advice that you've been given to date. LGB locos run well - I use a couple of wireless Massoth Navigators. At least, they did work well in the old garden so hopefully I can replicate the set-up in the new one! Over the years I have cooked a couple of decoders, most of us have I suspect, but actually never in one of the big RhB locos. Changing addresses can be a challenge and even saved addresses seem to drift occasionally.

The thing that always seems to catch me out is controlling the pantographs under DCC. To me an electric loco has to run with pans up - too many years playing with full size trains when a pan down meant it was definitely going nowhere. The command for one up, both up or auto direction change is different according to the age of the model and whether it has a factory fitted or aftermarket decoder - each season I put a loco on the track and then try and work out which command works for this one. Once I spent ages trying to get the pans to work until I remembered that on that one they weren't motorised (the Co-op Ge 4/4 III). Doh!

Enjoy!
M

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mark. Thanks for the warm welcome and lots of advice there. The Massoth system is due to be collected from the shop in two weeks so will then have ample power for the GE 4/4 ii hauling the panoramic carriage, baggage car and soon to be acquired Gourmino carriage! Also the steam engine will be fully operational for the first time and, when the diesel has been returned with its decoder fitted, I should have a nice starter fleet. Oh, and apparently the Crocodile is due to be delivered sooner rather than later! Very exciting times! :inlove:Hopefully the pantographs should be straightforward to operate from the start...and no decoders will be hurt in the making of this railway!!! Now, if only I could justify £2k+ for an Allegra in RHB red...:think:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...Now, if only I could justify £2k+ for an Allegra in RHB red...:think:
That would be very nice, as long as you have the size of layout to suit. I guess your last sentence was tongue in cheek, but FWIW, justification is hard to define. There's really no business case for spending on any hobby or past-time, it's a matter of how much enjoyment it will give you, bang for buck as it were. Large scale model railways are an expensive hobby but I know plenty of others that are way more expensive! If you can have the cash and really want it (not just a passing whim) then why not? You can always sell it afterwards if you get buyer's remorse, good quality second hand LGB hold their prices well.
Even if I have the cash I always think of the "money saving expert mantra" - before buying anything:
- will I use it
- is it worth it
- can I get it cheaper elsewhere
If it's going on an already max-ed out credit card then think again! :)