Newcomer to LGB

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now, I know where there is an Allegra for about half that!

**Though it will be a bit more if you want sound in it.**

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dave - I think in all honesty I shall have to hold out on the Allegra for the time being...enjoy what I already have!

Phil - so would I be correct in thinking that you own the Allegra in question?!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Dave - I think in all honesty I shall have to hold out on the Allegra for the time being...enjoy what I already have!

Phil - so would I be correct in thinking that you own the Allegra in question?!

More, or less, a joint venture that does not really 'sit' with the remaining stock..

chasaitch

chasaitch
17 Feb 2016
Banburyshire OX155LF
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madhouse! Before you start the layout build a padded cell from whence to control it all.
It does not seem that you have really launched into things yet and you are doing well by asking for advice. I have based myself on Hartz but use Swiss style colour lights. I am not totally happy with the stop light part as it is too amber, Massoth do a red led which I am thinking to look at as I have 12 signals that do not sit well with me. As far as controling them the 17100 track relays will do the job so long as you have a simple set up like one relay for green and another one for red but I found it limmiting, and you need a seperate source of DC supply as track current is DCC and doesn't work with 17100. My solution has been by using Massoth Point decoders 8156101(cheaper than LGB) which permit not only being able to set signals and points by the navigator but by using terminal blocks to daisychain the imputs from the 17100s can handle (in my case) 3 lights to green and in passing a signal return it to red as it passes the17100 for that signal. For more info on how to do it go to Forum help/ DCC and 17100's and see what you think. If there is anything else do as your doing and ask.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice as always. Had a look at the LGB RhB colour light signal and it's a nice model. Will have to have a closer look at the colouring before buying one..or two! Well, the Massoth central station etc. has now arrived so I shall be busy next weekend! Plus the Gourmino dining car and RhB wagon with pantograph load have all been added to the collection. Next stop the Crocodile and Salon car!

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Your collection is coming on great, can't wait for the pictures. :)
kev

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so...the Massoth system is operational and the RhB GE 4/4ii performing well with its sound decoder. But, there seems to be a problem with the steam engine (LGB 20752). All seemed OK when I tested it in the shop but when I put it onto my track the only sound I get is the long whistle...and often it just continues and continues and you can't stop it! Any ideas as to what the sound problem might be would be much appreciated. Brand new, no CV's changed, loco address is still 3 as set in the factory. The loco runs and the lights work incidentally, just the sound.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so...the Massoth system is operational and the RhB GE 4/4ii performing well with its sound decoder. But, there seems to be a problem with the steam engine (LGB 20752). All seemed OK when I tested it in the shop but when I put it onto my track the only sound I get is the long whistle...and often it just continues and continues and you can't stop it! Any ideas as to what the sound problem might be would be much appreciated. Brand new, no CV's changed, loco address is still 3 as set in the factory. The loco runs and the lights work incidentally, just the sound.

Just a guess from another newcomer to running on DCC. It may be a serial/parallel issue. The controller settings when running the loco need to be set to match the loco's decoder configuration.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As well as P/S as an issue.. It may be the particular function needs to be set to momentary action??
If you press the key for whistle, then press it again, does the whistle stop?

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks both. Yes, it was a serial / parallel issue after all. I changed that and it all works fine with the loco.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Depending on the direction of travel, the rear pantograph on my RhB GE 4/4 ii is always raised. However, F7 switches between the rear pantograph up and both pantographs up which it did do initially but no longer appears to do so. Any ideas?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Depending on the direction of travel, the rear pantograph on my RhB GE 4/4 ii is always raised. However, F7 switches between the rear pantograph up and both pantographs up which it did do initially but no longer appears to do so. Any ideas?

Try F3, then see what happens...

There should be two pantograph 'modes'...
1. the rear pantograph is raised, and goes down, and the other one raises when the direction changes.
2. the F7 key cycles through (from both down): one up, other up, first down, second down.

F3 toggles between these two 'modes' of operation.

Oh, and it is possible to clip the pantographs down, so they do not raise. - Even though the motors will fire.

HTH?
PhilP.

MarkT

Registered
8 Jan 2017
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. I shall give that a try when I'm next running. Small steps with this DCC and the Massoth kit but well worth it! Very impressed by the synchronised chuff on my steam engine too!